Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Dr. Octagon

This deserves a thread of its own.

I don't really know whether many of you know about him (maybe as Kool Keith) but if you haven't then you really should.

I've noticed a few people on here don't see past P. Diddy, Fiddy Cent, guns and bitches and all that bollocks when they think of hip hop. But dig a little (only a very little to be honest) further and you'll find real quality.

Check this tune out. And check out Q-Bert's scratching at the end. It may be old but hip hop doesn't get much better. Fantastic original sound as well.

This deserves a thread of its own.

I don't really know whether many of you know about him (maybe as Kool Keith) but if you haven't then you really should.

I've noticed a few people on here don't see past P. Diddy, Fiddy Cent, guns and bitches and all that bollocks when they think of hip hop. But dig a little (only a very little to be honest) further and you'll find real quality.

Check this tune out. And check out Q-Bert's scratching at the end. It may be old but hip hop doesn't get much better. Fantastic original sound as well.

oh yes now we're talking MC Kool Keith!!

The Original Dr Octagon album on Mo'Wax was awesome!!

have you also heard the Automator album? it's basically Dan the Automator with Kool Keith as Sinister 6000 I put the King of New York song on my recent Foxestalk mix

lol

When I posted this I thought there's two people who I'm 100% confident will be replying in this thread. Well, there's the first!

That Automator album rings a bell, I reckon I've heard it but probably a long time ago... will have to get hold it again.

Dr. Octagonecologyst is a brilliant album, such good hip hop, not a lot else sounds similar. The beat to Blue Flowers reminds me of Portishead.

lol

When I posted this I thought there's two people who I'm 100% confident will be replying in this thread. Well, there's the first!

That Automator album rings a bell, I reckon I've heard it but probably a long time ago... will have to get hold it again.

Dr. Octagonecologyst is a brilliant album, such good hip hop, not a lot else sounds similar. The beat to Blue Flowers reminds me of Portishead.

nothing like being predictable!!!

I'm your man when it comes to Mo'Wax be it Major Force, UNKLE, Blackalicious, DJ Krush and so on got loads and loads of it on CD and Vinyl way back to the first compilation they released

this is also worth checking out 2 cds one compiled by De La Soul the other by Kool Keith

31PlLSGqMrL._SL500_AA170_.jpg

nothing like being predictable!!!

I'm your man when it comes to Mo'Wax be it Major Force, UNKLE, Blackalicious, DJ Krush and so on got loads and loads of it on CD and Vinyl way back to the first compilation they released

this is also worth checking out 2 cds one compiled by De La Soul the other by Kool Keith

31PlLSGqMrL._SL500_AA170_.jpg

Love Blackalicious and DJ Krush. Krush in particular, got most of his albums (one of my only sources of Japanese hip hop!). Horrible phrase "trip hop" but he is the guru of the genre for me. Code 4109 is an amazing compilation.

And yeah I'm familiar with the Lyricist Lounge series, got volume 2 lying around somewhere - used to cane that Oh No song by Mos Def, Pharoe, etc at uni. Quality tune!

Do you have some of the early Krush stuff like the Strictly Turntablized album or the A Whim single?

of not will see what I can do....

DJ Kentaro on Ninja Tunes is also a pretty good Japanese Hip Hop/Breaks/DJ Machine or whatever you want to call him!!

while talking Japanese Hip Hop you should also check out Major Force if you can really really old school instrumental Hip Hop that started in the 80's and 90's a couple of compilations on Mo'wax in the 90's

Archived