Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tomassi

The Olympics 2012, Your View

It is infact a superb victory for the British, beating the French at their own game (for it was a french man who invented the modern olympic games, Benji will tell you who as i cant remember :P).

It is dubbed a great achievement for British Sport, as it will hopefully encourage youngsters to stay off the streets and participate in more sports across the country for the years coming towards it and post olympics.

It will create jobs building Stadia, Plans and Advertisements across London and the country, and encourage Volunteers to take part aswel.

But whilst all this positive notion is taking place, has anyone thought of the 'cons' that will take place leading up to the most celebrated Gameshow on Earth??

Who is going to pay for the games?? Seeing as the Government is involved it will be the British Public, most of which will have no interest in this sporting event. So watch out for some new taxes for some of us over-taxed under-paid hard-working individuals.

Who is going to be affected? The whole city of London and the surrounding areas. Will the residents be prepared for a sudden burst of temporary population in an already overloaded city? The City might come to a Gridlock and this could be an easy target for terrorists.

And what about the Athletes? Its not cheap to stay in London, and there arent many places to train. With London being a massive working city many will probably get lost after not being able to afford transport to stadia.

I for one am reserved on this decision to award the Olympic Games to London.

I personally beleive that the games will have a massive impact not only on London but on the UK as a whole. More time and money will be invested into youth, grass roots and sport in general over the next 10 years. The games will also see the infrastructure of London in terms of transport improve.

However, as you said, there will be a problem with financing it. The commitee said that money is to come from Lottery, local and national governments (in the end it will be tax!!!) and hopefully private investors. However, with money going in, they will look to get something out of it and with the olympics they will definitly get the money back. Ok, it wont be exactly give £5m and get £5m back. it will be investment into the future and you will see job oppourunities and the economy rise in that area of London. But that goes into a lot of depth and i cant be bothered to go into that.

The other factor is what happens to all the facilities after the games? well i reckon they will mkae use of it quite easily if it is managed properly. This is something which definilty needs to be taken into consideration. it should be like get to 2012 and make a fantasic village then forget about it totally. They should use it to develop the future of British sport...they will have the facilities so why shouldnt they use it? IMO, they should turn the whole complex into a massive Centre of Excellence where the top sports youngster can go to improve and develop.

But overall, its great that the games have come to London and overall there are more pros than cons!

from what i have recently been reading, taxes will not really be affected too much, as sponsership covers this aswell as a massive input from the national lottery. aswell as many other inputs from America now they are not holding the games.

as this is the case, this country has worked ona basis of gaining 100m of profit from these games, even after stadia has been built etc

Archived