Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aberdeen_fox

De Vries

I wasn't at the game last night, but I certainly thought de Vries looked promising against Celtic. Bear in mind he's playing with another targetman upfront, and against one of the best defences in Europe. Pre season really isn't the time to start making judgements on players.

144630[/snapback]

I don't think De Vries is a natural target man, I don't think he's a natural goal scorer, I don't think he's a natural footballer what I do know is, he's better than Big Trev and Akinbadbuyi so there is hope.

When De vries was playing with Conners last season, the ball would be pumped up to him, and we might as well have played Joey upfront as a target man cause he was awful. You could see conners getting frustrated and coming deeper to get the ball leaving De Vries upfront as a loan striker, after someone had told De Vries there was no one to flick the ball on to anymore we then saw how bad he was at holding the ball up, instead of doing something simple like passing it back to the midfield he would try and beat three players or something first, add to all of this, his lack of confidence in front of goal and the trampoline he laid down behind him for defenders, the guy was a joke.

Obviously he was unfit and now he's got a pre-season behind him I would have been very worried if he had not improved at all. The one glimmer of hope from the two games is that CL has obviously hired rag head Ian Marshall to give De Vries a crash course on heading the ball!

So the point I think I'm making is---If he is to play with Conners next season he's going to have prove he can play the target man role which he was very scared of last season

cat%20being%20gun%20down.jpg

yep - he's bound to take time to adjust. Give him a chance i think. He's keen to learn and improve as he showed by training earlier than most others. He will be a good player for us, just not overnight... so dont expect that.

Can't believe so many of you are still slagging De Vries off. Just by looking at his contributions in the Celtic and Inter highlights - he looks incredibly sharp and skillful. Two of his turns against Inter were sublime and that's one of the best defences in the world.

Get a grip people and start supporting your players, instead of the constant bloody moaning - you're beginning to sound like Arsenal fans.

144534[/snapback]

Therein lies the problem...were you actually at the Inter or Celtic games? I can't comment about his performance against Celtic because I wasn't there, but he was woeful again against Inter.

2 bits of good play doesn't overshadow the countless pieces of crap he did - there were a number of good opportunities for him to score (or play others into having good chances) which he well and truly ****ed up.

Fair enough slag off people for complaining about De Vries, but at least go to the games and see his overall performance first. If you only saw the highlights you will have only seen the few positive things he did, but your opinion isn't exactly based on the whole game is it?

144611[/snapback]

No, but my opinion is based on a number of flashes of brilliance from games I went to last season (despite the fact his performances on the whole were poor). It is also based on having been watching Leicester for the past 25 years and knowing that a significant number of our fans will moan about players no matter what - the treatment Steve Guppy and Emile Heskey got from certain sections of our fans immediately springs to mind.

He might not be consistent throughout the game, if what you say is true but the two superb pieces of skill he showed in the highlights against Inter are the kind of things that can win you games.

Archived