Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lush

Positive kick-off

Professional Game Match Officials (PGMO) chief Keith Hackett, on behalf of the Football Association, Premier League and Football League today outlined match officials’ approach to the new season.

After a series of positive meetings between Hackett and the League Managers Association (LMA) and the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA), the season kicks off this weekend with a consensus that players and managers are all aware of their vital roles in maintaining a positive image of football.

Referees have been instructed that a player who provokes a direct confrontation with a match official using offensive, insulting or abusive language will be sent off . They have also been instructed to take stronger action on mass confrontations between players by identifying and punishing the instigators and any player whose actions escalate or inflame the situation.

Keith Hackett said: "Over the past year we have forged a much closer working relationship with the LMA and PFA. This has helped to get to where we are – everyone across football agrees that we need to avoid the relatively few but high profile incidents that have detracted from the game in the past .

"Adherence to the laws this season will mean those who do transgress will be dealt with in a firm fashion . We do not want to see the competitive and passionate side taken out of our game. But there needs to an understanding of the need to maintain that positive image.

"We have a shared responsibility to address this issue. We have done so, and I am delighted with the co-operation and common sense of purpose that exists between the various bodies involved in the discussions. The feedback I have had from players and managers alike has been uniformly positive."

Information to all levels of the game has been produced by the PFA – new posters reminding players of their position as role-models and warning them of the consequences of bad behaviour.

And pre-season LMA managers’ meetings outlined the guidance given to referees and the need for managers to play their part in instructing their players.

This is great news. Players for far too long have disrespected the game and the fans. We will have order.

refs will never adhere to it . keane tells you to fcuk off so he gets sent off , rooney runs up and says you cant send him off you t*at , neville and van nistlerooy join in and suddenly united are down to 7 men !

id love to see more refs stand up for themselves but cant see it happening

Maybe that scenario is what it will take for players to respect the game.

They KNOW the rules, like we do at work, and if we use abusive language, were punished, and so should football players.

Crikey, i`d keep sssshtum for the money their earning.

Maybe that scenario is what it will take for players to respect the game.

They KNOW the rules, like we do at work, and if we use abusive language, were punished, and so should football players.

Crikey, i`d keep sssshtum for the money their earning.

150834[/snapback]

Too right, and about time they sorted this out too. Rooney, Keane et al really, really irritate me. A few games in the stands should give 'em something to think about.

Rooney's a fat Tw@t. Not relevant, I know, but I just felt like venting.

Too right, and about time they sorted this out too.  Rooney, Keane et al really, really irritate me.  A few games in the stands should give 'em something to think about.

Rooney's a fat Tw@t.  Not relevant, I know, but I just felt like venting.

151547[/snapback]

well vented :D

refs will never adhere to it . keane tells you to fcuk off so he gets sent off , rooney runs up and says you cant send him off you t*at , neville and van nistlerooy join in and suddenly united are down to 7 men !

id love to see more refs stand up for themselves but cant see it happening

150820[/snapback]

It's not that I'm against tightening up on bad language, especially if it's prolonged, but I'd far sooner the authorities came down harder on those who put people like Weso out of the game and on those who commit the first antagonistic offence.

If referees dealt properly with foul play in the first place there wouldn't be so much verbal or physical retaliation.

Look at that tackle by Shearer on Lennon, for instance. Yet we worry about a few ill-chosen words. How he stayed on the field is beyond me.

Good referees. That's the best way to improve standards in football. Look at Collina (before that daft rule forced his retirement). Why did he have so little trouble in his games (at least the ones I watched)? Because players respected him and trusted him both to see and to deal with what went on.

With referees like the one at Sheffield it is little wonder people swear at times. "Excuse me sir, are you quite sure that was a penalty?" is hardly a likely approach when you've just run your guts out for 80 minutes fighting to win a football match.

I wonder sometimes if the administrators have actually played football.

3 things I'd like to see stronger action on.

1) Diving

2) Shirt tugging , holding etc.

3) Obstruction in and around the penalty area, including 'shuffling' the ball off the pitch.

Ref No. 3 when was the last time you saw a ref give obstruction in the penalty area?

A very high proportion of players 'shuffling' the ball out of play are not within reach of the ball = Obstruction.

When they've sorted that out then they can think about the occasional swear word.

3 things I'd like to see stronger action on.

1) Diving

2) Shirt tugging , holding etc.

3) Obstruction in and around the penalty area, including 'shuffling' the ball off the pitch.

Ref No. 3 when was the last time you saw a ref give obstruction in the penalty area?

A very high proportion of players 'shuffling' the ball out of play are not within reach of the ball = Obstruction.

When they've sorted that out then they can think about the occasional swear word.

155712[/snapback]

3rd point is a good call , if the ball is at the "shufflers" feet then fair enough good defending but sometimes players are shielding balls that are not within 5 yards of them

Archived