Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Friendlies Fired

David Connolly made the strongest case imaginable over the last few days for putting an end to pre-season friendlies.

He has looked so fit, so sharp, so focused.

Indeed he looks so outstandingly fit that I wonder if he ever had an injury just decided for himself that he "doesn't do friendlies" and took the attitude "see ya for the first game".

If that's the result I'd say the rest would have been better training some more and playing first team v second to familiarise themselves with each others play rather than being involved in the often pointless piss-about that is friendly football.

Some look fine (McCarthy, Joey, Elvis, MDV and, of course Connolly) but the rest all seem lacking at times fitness wise and it does make such a huge difference.

We pushed high and passed well with lots of movement in the first half against Stoke but in the second, although we scored more goals against 10 men, we actually fired on fewer cylinders and we won't always get away with that.

I think if you notice we only played about 5 friendlies this pre-season, where as under Adams we clocked up about 10 with tours to Finland, Scotland and numerous domestic friendlies. I think you need a few to regain your match practise, but fitness wise the players get this from extensive training.

Levein appears to have got it right and thankgod he didn't throw Connolly in when he was still recovering from injury. As I said, Connolly is naturally fit and energetic.

This proposal to have the CCC winners in the Intertoto Cup instead of a Premiership side is quite interesting. Would a real competitive game before the start of the season be more beneficial than a runaround against a local side a couple of divisions down in the leagues? Or would it mean that team peaks too early?

Just a thought....

This proposal to have the CCC winners in the Intertoto Cup instead of a Premiership side is quite interesting.  Would a real competitive game before the start of the season be more beneficial than a runaround against a local side a couple of divisions down in the leagues?  Or would it mean that team peaks too early?

Just a thought....

154093[/snapback]

No problem with a decent sized squad. Players like playing real football not meaningless kickabouts.

Players like playing real football not meaningless kickabouts.

154228[/snapback]

But they still prefer kicking the ball around to actual fitness training that doesn't resemble football in the least (e.g. running uphill).

So every proffesional football club has been wrong on this for over 100 years, thank god you can now put them right.

154237[/snapback]

Don't bother browbeating me about the merits of majority opinion cos I've never bought into the club. I'll think for myself thanks and make any adjustments based on how convincing the argument is of others.

I was actually being light-hearted (though that was clearly lost on you) but the fact remains that Connolly has come back a revelation without pre-season friendlies and I do think many of em are little more than PR exercises, player get-togethers and a means of making sure the club stewards etc are all up to scratch.

Can't think of any reason on earth why I'd go and watch one although it must be a good time for the kids to get autographs.

Archived