Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Reverend

Worst player?

Bearing in mind the fee he cost us, Gareth Williams.

I'f he's not a regular feature come January and Wes is back, I'd be happy to see us offload him for 100K.

I wouldn't! I we can flog Connolly for 3 million we should be able to get at least 1 million for Williams.

I wouldn't! I we can flog Connolly for 3 million we should be able to get at least 1 million for Williams.

I like your optimism but who in their right mind would pay £1million for Williams?! He has no end product to his game (i.e assists or goals), can't tackle, and is a liability most of the time cos he's annonymous!

£3M for a striker who scored a dozen goals in 40-odd games was a stroke of luck...... namely finding the one newly promoted team in the known universe with a striker shortage and money to burn!

We won't double our money on Williams, even break even, unless he plays regularly and shows some attitude.

I just think we could just cut our losses on GW now, and save ourselves some of his (decent) wages before the cords are cut on that Premiership parachute payment we're clinging on to.

I like your optimism but who in their right mind would pay £1million for Williams?! He has no end product to his game (i.e assists or goals), can't tackle, and is a liability most of the time cos he's annonymous!

You know that, and I know that, but whenever I hear journos or pundits talking about him they pile praise on, so I don't think it's unrealistic to think that someone would buy him for a million (remember he's still very young) because he's got a good rep. For me it's the same as with Connolly because if you said 'would you buy a 28 year old striker from the Championship who only scored 9 goals from open play last season for 2-3 million?' to Wigan at the start of the season they'd probably have said no, but if you say 'it's David Connolly' his reputation makes the difference.

Reputations unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side you're on) do seem to play a large part in some transfers. Look at clubs like Forest, for some reason they seem to be able to get over-the-odds for some of their players, possibly because their academy still has a reputation, possibly because they hype the players up so much (£5 million for Commons?!).

And we know that Williams has been watched as recently as the end of last season, so people are still interested in him. If he went I think it would be to a newly promoted club, like Connolly, who feel a bit desperate. And who knows, maybe he'd try harder in the Prem. Thinking about it I think we could probably easily get more than £1 million for him.

You know that, and I know that, but whenever I hear journos or pundits talking about him they pile praise on, so I don't think it's unrealistic to think that someone would buy him for a million (remember he's still very young) because he's got a good rep. For me it's the same as with Connolly because if you said 'would you buy a 28 year old striker from the Championship who only scored 9 goals from open play last season for 2-3 million?' to Wigan at the start of the season they'd probably have said no, but if you say 'it's David Connolly' his reputation makes the difference.

Reputations unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side you're on) do seem to play a large part in some transfers. Look at clubs like Forest, for some reason they seem to be able to get over-the-odds for some of their players, possibly because their academy still has a reputation, possibly because they hype the players up so much (£5 million for Commons?!).

And we know that Williams has been watched as recently as the end of last season, so people are still interested in him. If he went I think it would be to a newly promoted club, like Connolly, who feel a bit desperate. And who knows, maybe he'd try harder in the Prem. Thinking about it I think we could probably easily get more than £1 million for him.

Good point. lol

...and my sides have only just been re-stitched after hearing that Commons rumour. :):rolleyes:

Archived