Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Ryan Smith

This is a view from an Arsenal fan on Theo Walcott:

He looks more like the next SWP to me, he's quicker and nimbler on his feet than both Rooney and Beckham.

Anyway, we don't need him cos we've got Ryan Smith Let liverpool have him, they need a decent player.

Highly rated down there I see. Which is good for us in the short term. But doesn't leave us too much chance of getting him permanently :(

You never know. Maybe he's unhappy at not being treated on a par with Arsenal's foreign youngsters and wouldn't mind leaving behind training with champions league players for championship players.

Graham Stack said some interesting things in the Times yesterday about Arsenal's youth teams (see below).

ALWAYS PLAYING AWAY

AS ARSENAL FANS STRUGGLE TO COME to terms with their team’s present travails they may wish to ponder a photograph on the wall of Graham Stack’s spare bedroom, featuring the beaming faces of Jermaine Pennant, Jerome Thomas and Jay Boothroyd celebrating their second FA Youth Cup victory.

Stack will remain forever grateful to Arsène Wenger for the opportunities he handed him at Arsenal, but feels he gave foreign players preferential treatment.

“It becomes very disheartening when players are arriving from all over Europe and they were even paid more than us,†Stack said. “When you’ve just come off £32 a week as an apprentice and there’s this 17-year-old who’s from France who’s on £8,000, you think it’s not fair.â€Â

Stack also believes Arsenal’s team spirit has suffered with the departure of their home-grown players, a feeling confirmed by a recent conversation with Ashley Cole. “When I first joined the first-team squad the banter was brilliant but the English boys have gone,†Stack said. “I speak to Ashley now on the phone and he says it’s very quiet, not as much fun as it used to be.

“The cliques aren’t rumours, it’s a fact. The French boys sit together, the Germans and Freddie (Ljungberg) eat together. It used to be a sell-out on the English table but no one wants a ticket. There are spare seats everywhere.â€Â

You never know. Maybe he's unhappy at not being treated on a par with Arsenal's foreign youngsters and wouldn't mind leaving behind training with champions league players for championship players.

Graham Stack said some interesting things in the Times yesterday about Arsenal's youth teams (see below).

ALWAYS PLAYING AWAY

AS ARSENAL FANS STRUGGLE TO COME to terms with their team’s present travails they may wish to ponder a photograph on the wall of Graham Stack’s spare bedroom, featuring the beaming faces of Jermaine Pennant, Jerome Thomas and Jay Boothroyd celebrating their second FA Youth Cup victory.

Stack will remain forever grateful to Arsène Wenger for the opportunities he handed him at Arsenal, but feels he gave foreign players preferential treatment.

“It becomes very disheartening when players are arriving from all over Europe and they were even paid more than us,†Stack said. “When you’ve just come off £32 a week as an apprentice and there’s this 17-year-old who’s from France who’s on £8,000, you think it’s not fair.â€Â

Stack also believes Arsenal’s team spirit has suffered with the departure of their home-grown players, a feeling confirmed by a recent conversation with Ashley Cole. “When I first joined the first-team squad the banter was brilliant but the English boys have gone,†Stack said. “I speak to Ashley now on the phone and he says it’s very quiet, not as much fun as it used to be.

“The cliques aren’t rumours, it’s a fact. The French boys sit together, the Germans and Freddie (Ljungberg) eat together. It used to be a sell-out on the English table but no one wants a ticket. There are spare seats everywhere.â€Â

And there's no anti-white-English racism in football!. Can you imagine the furore if, say, a new

newsagent paid his white delivery boys twice as much as his black ones?. I rest my case - until some

other blinkered individual tries to ram bullshit down my throat.

I've been a fan of his - he's tried to put some

joy on the football pitch. But it sounds to me as if the sooner he's gone the better. Wouldn't it be nice to read

that someone, somewhere was doing something for English kids.

Oh yes, there's Craig Levein...and I hope he never changes from that particular direction.

And there's no anti-white-English racism in football!. Can you imagine the furore if, say, a new

newsagent paid his white delivery boys twice as much as his black ones?. I rest my case - until some

joy on the football pitch. But it sounds to me as if the sooner he's gone the better. Wouldn't it be nice to read

Oh yes, there's Craig Levein...and I hope he never changes from that particular direction.

Thracian, I think you are being a little bit harsh.

Foreign youngsters are offered higher wages than homegrown youngsters to induce them to leave their home, family, friends, etc and move to a foreign country at the age of 16 (or younger). It would certainly have taken a large amount of money to get me to move to an alien country and away from family at that age. So I understand why Arsenal offer higher wages to foreign youngsters, particularly when they unearth (and steal) players such as Fabregas. There is no racism about it. It is simply the free market that is football.

However, players in the game know about the culture at Arsenal. It is no coincidence in my mind that they have failed to attract the biggest players and that other players have sought to leave (e.g. Ashley Cole).

Younger players are also aware and are now happier to choose teams such as Charlton over other larger teams, where their development will be keenly watched and more opportunities arise. Players like Jerome Thomas & Pennant are enjoying good seasons. Justin Hoyte having to go on loan to Sunderland. Stuart Taylor never got the chance he deserved at Arsenal. Steve Sidwell at Reading. These are all Arsenal's loss and other teams' gains. However, these players (as Graham Stack said) have been given the opportunity at Arsenal and been trained at some of the best facilities in the world. Arsenal has improved these players whether they got the opportunity to progress at first team level or not.

I think Smith may have signed a long term deal at Arsenal. Indicating that he is in some way part of Wenger's plans. But I do think it is likely that a foreigner will come in to replace the likes of Pires, and Smith will go to a club like Charton.

However, if we are lucky, we might be able to get him. *fingers crossed* Levein usually doesn't loan players if he doesn't have a chance of getting them on permanent deals.

Thracian, I think you are being a little bit harsh.

Foreign youngsters are offered higher wages than homegrown youngsters to induce them to leave their home, family, friends, etc and move to a foreign country at the age of 16 (or younger). It would certainly have taken a large amount of money to get me to move to an alien country and away from family at that age. So I understand why Arsenal offer higher wages to foreign youngsters, particularly when they unearth (and steal) players such as Fabregas. There is no racism about it. It is simply the free market that is football.

However, players in the game know about the culture at Arsenal. It is no coincidence in my mind that they have failed to attract the biggest players and that other players have sought to leave (e.g. Ashley Cole).

Younger players are also aware and are now happier to choose teams such as Charlton over other larger teams, where their development will be keenly watched and more opportunities arise. Players like Jerome Thomas & Pennant are enjoying good seasons. Justin Hoyte having to go on loan to Sunderland. Stuart Taylor never got the chance he deserved at Arsenal. Steve Sidwell at Reading. These are all Arsenal's loss and other teams' gains. However, these players (as Graham Stack said) have been given the opportunity at Arsenal and been trained at some of the best facilities in the world. Arsenal has improved these players whether they got the opportunity to progress at first team level or not.

Try telling the wages bit to the home-grown youngsters. They feel cheesed off and seem to have said so one way or the other.

Secondly the cliques. That is down to the manager to sort and he should sort it quick.

I mentioned in another thread how heartening it was to see how well the Leicester Reserves and Academy players seem to mix both under supervision and away from it.

Cliques are a real cancer in a football club and should be cut out or at least discouraged as soon as they're seen.

I honestly don't know the answer to this cos I haven't looked but how many English players in the Arsenal team at the moment?.

The likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires maybe, Vierra when he was around I could understand but some of the others just seem to be typical of the ordinary players who are keeping English kids from developing both at Arsenal and elsewhere.

And I'm sick of it. Cos it's no good for our football in the end.

Try telling the wages bit to the home-grown youngsters. They feel cheesed off and seem to have said so one way or the other.

Secondly the cliques. That is down to the manager to sort and he should sort it quick.

I mentioned in another thread how heartening it was to see how well the Leicester Reserves and Academy players seem to mix both under supervision and away from it.

Cliques are a real cancer in a football club and should be cut out or at least discouraged as soon as they're seen.

I honestly don't know the answer to this cos I haven't looked but how many English players in the Arsenal team at the moment?.

The likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires maybe, Vierra when he was around I could understand but some of the others just seem to be typical of the ordinary players who are keeping English kids from developing both at Arsenal and elsewhere.

And I'm sick of it. Cos it's no good for our football in the end.

I agree with all your points entirely. Home grown players are cheesed off at the foreign youngsters higher wages. It is however no surprise that foreign players are given higher wages, with the extra sacrifices they make.

One things for sure, it is good that Levein is developing our youth setup (with such groundbreaking initiatives as getting the youth team to eat with the first team - not exactly genius but does make a massive difference - nice one Craig).

I think with Craig's development, we will hopefully develop a reputation as a good youth producing team, helping us to attract ever better young talent (similar to Charlton now - I find it amusing that they used Leicester as a model to copy and here I am using them as a model).

I am all for Wenger's policies, if we are in a position to attract the talented youngsters who Arsenal disregard. Let's eat from their table for free (so to speak).

Theres no evidence of anti-white racism from arsol or even wanger Thrach.

In the last year or so, a friend expressed to me the anti-English bias arsol wanger had, but with him being a fan of a rival, i dismissed it.

Since then ive heard various complaints, and in particular the one that explains wenger having never BROUGHT (paid a fee) an English player, yet hes brought several foreign players for millions of pounds.

Im afraid its the times we live in, that foreigners dont think about the wellbeing of English football, afterall, there foreign and why should they.

Theres no evidence of anti-white racism from arsol or even wanger Thrach.

In the last year or so, a friend expressed to me the anti-English bias arsol wanger had, but with him being a fan of a rival, i dismissed it.

Since then ive heard various complaints, and in particular the one that explains wenger having never BROUGHT (paid a fee) an English player, yet hes brought several foreign players for millions of pounds.

Im afraid its the times we live in, that foreigners dont think about the wellbeing of English football, afterall, there foreign and why should they.

He paid a shit load of cash for Francis Jeffers.

He paid a shit load of cash for Francis Jeffers.

I stand corrected by comic Ric :thumbup: , and infact Ric, he also signed a English goalie richard wright., and no neither were given much of a chance.

So out of the 40 or so signings arsol wangers signed, i can think of cambell, wright, pennant and jeffers 10% who are English :(

Its not quite so bad at other top flight English clubs, but explains why England are unlikely to win the world cup.

Dont stock up too muck booze come june will you folks.

SwissPiss wont stock more than a 2pack lollol cuckoo cuckoo lollol

Archived