Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

We're in this together

Stephen Hughes was left frustrated by the defeat at Selhurst Park, but remains determined to help turn City's season around in 2006.

Speaking after the match against Palace, the former Rangers man was keen to make it clear that the team will not be disheartened by the result and are far from throwing in the towel.

The midfielder reflected on the disappointment of coming close to giving the Foxes the lead himself, only to see the points slip through their fingers late in the game.

He told us: "I thought we dominated the first half. We had a couple of good chances which included one for myself.

"Then when Rab saved the penalty I thought it would prove to be the turning point for us, that we could go on and win it or at least get a draw which wouldn't have been the worst result in the world.

"But they then managed to get a goal and scored at the death so it was very disappointing.

"We are in this together and we need to keep going.

"It's hard to put your finger on what is actually going wrong, you can do as much talking as you want off the park but we need to start getting results and quickly.

"Every game is massive for us from here on in whether we are playing someone at the top or bottom.

"We're in a bad position for the club. With the quality we have to show, we should really be in the top six but it is so frustrating because we know we can come to places and get a result.

"There are too many hard luck stories at the moment but we need to turn those around into positive results.

"The support today was brilliant. I'd ask the fans to carry on standing by us because we know we're too good to be dragged into a relegation scrap. All that's needed is a couple of results to get our confidence back and get into the mix.

"I'd like to be in the team every week. I want to be a part of side who drags us out of this situation."

As the players now turn their attentions to Sunday's FA Cup tie with Tottenham, Hughes is not getting distracted by the visit of Premiership opposition.

He added: "It gives us a breather from the league but we just want to get out of this position. If they'd have given us a league game then we'd probably swap it to try and get ourselves up the table.

"No doubt it'll be a big game for everyone involved but we need to focus on the league, that's the main priority."

Archived