Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Reverend

Dion Dublin

Thracian, i have just read your article about Dion becoming City manager and i hope you didnt misinterpret what i said as having a dig at you, let me make that clear. I wasnt singling out yourself, but certain individuals who seem to worship Dublin (and i do not think he is worthy) on this forum.

I only just read the article and thought you made some valid points, but i still havent changed my mind!

Also, if monkey 'ed comes anywhere near LCFC i aint renewing my season ticket! Thats bull anyway. As was said on that thread, Levein has travelled down to Plymouth with the players, so what is going to happen? He is going to get sacked there and then. It'll be a long journey back to Scotland!

Not at all. All I am concerned about is the best solutions for Leicester City. I quite often put ideas forward and hope they get knocked around until a possible solution emerges. Scowy has already prompted me to have a rethink about Dublin being our best option at centre-back to the point where I'd now go with Maybury, McCarthy, Stearman, Sheehan as our back line and apply a full press behind a vigorous attack. You'll never offend me so long as you disagree constructively. If Levein was prepared to reconsider so many of his apparently set ideas maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. Can't say I'm a Peter Reid fan in any way so we're certainly agreed on that.

I agree with all of that and until I read your post I believed that we were to some extent snookered and that Dublin was simply the best option, being the only one who could cope with big, strong centre-forwards. Nils and Gerrbrand are certainly not dominant enough.

However, you have prompted me to think again and especially with your first point.

The only way we can achieve a high line with the players we have is to risk playing Stearman at centre-back.

He does lack bulk. But if we press high that would possible be negated. He's shown himself to be adaptable and to learn quickly and to concentrate. His moving to centre-back would allow Maybury to go back to his best position at right back and Sheehan to come in at left back. This would suit my own preference for a full-press commitment to attack.

Unless the aerially capable andhighly mobile O'Grady has talents as a centre-back I'm not aware of I'm struggling to think of anything else which would negate the problems you mention and alowus to have a chance of consistently scoring enough goals to win matches regularly.

I'm not pretending there are no risks to the above, there are, but at least we'd be fielding a consitently fast and mobile side with everyone in their natural position.

So who would you play in between Maybury, Stearman and Sheehan? IMO the only real contenders are Paddy Mac and Gerbs. It depends what you want. McCarthy will give you 100%, has that fighting spirit and steel that we appear to need so badly. I think that Gerbs is quite the opposite though. Whereas Paddy is sometimes rash, Gerbs is cool, controlled and a good, accurate decision maker. Another thing which i like about Gerbs is that he has the ability to bring the ball out of the defence a bit like John Terry.

I would still play McCarthy and Gerbs as the CB pairing as i believe they complement eachother perfectly and as they say, opposites attract!

Stearman RB and FFS Sheehan LB!!!

So who would you play in between Maybury, Stearman and Sheehan? IMO the only real contenders are Paddy Mac and Gerbs. It depends what you want. McCarthy will give you 100%, has that fighting spirit and steel that we appear to need so badly. I think that Gerbs is quite the opposite though. Whereas Paddy is sometimes rash, Gerbs is cool, controlled and a good, accurate decision maker. Another thing which i like about Gerbs is that he has the ability to bring the ball out of the defence a bit like John Terry.

I would still play McCarthy and Gerbs as the CB pairing as i believe they complement eachother perfectly and as they say, opposites attract!

Stearman RB and FFS Sheehan LB!!!

McCarthy for now.

PS: As for your players out list I'd go along with all of em but DeVries. I cannot see that DeVries is anything but 100%. He's our top scorer and crates havoc. Not necessarily first choice now but certainly a useful chap to have around.

Agreed, once people have made up their opinion of him they just can't let it go. Imagine De Vries played right? I'm sure it can't be that hard for a manager besides Levein to figure out where his real strengths lie. He's definately a useful player to have around.

Archived