Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Reverend

Dion Dublin

What is this obsession that some of the people on this forum with Dion Dublin? I dont understand it. Many people on FT have said how good he is and all that. He isnt! He may be a local legend but he is not good enough! He is meant to be a striker who has scored NO goals this season. Although this is down to a lack of opportunities, he has been used quite a few times as a centre back. He is an awful centre back IMO. With him at the back you are guaranteed at least 1 mistake per game.

Just earlier i was reading The Mercury's fans section and one fan said how his best back line would be Stearman,Dublin,McCarthy and Twatto. You what? Not just one liability (Dublin) but two (Dublin and Twatto).

Then, someone else went on to say how they would love Dublin to be MANAGER. Why? Can someone please explain?

Leicester may be his local club, but at the end of the day he doesnt give a shit wether we go down or not. This is his final pay-day. It appears to me thought that some of you are too naive to recognise this.

He had an opportunity to join Leicester (was it before he joined Cov or Villa?) and he turned it down.

Some of you may say that he has the right characteristics to be a good coach, to get the team going etc...

So why do the players lack passion, energy and most importantly belief? There is no doubting this is a team capable of being in he play off spots.

So this is why Dublin can piss off. Oh, and take Levein, de Vries, Hamill, Kisnorbo and Douglas with you.

What is this obsession that some of the people on this forum with Dion Dublin? I dont understand it. Many people on FT have said how good he is and all that. He isnt! He may be a local legend but he is not good enough! He is meant to be a striker who has scored NO goals this season. Although this is down to a lack of opportunities, he has been used quite a few times as a centre back. He is an awful centre back IMO. With him at the back you are guaranteed at least 1 mistake per game.

Just earlier i was reading The Mercury's fans section and one fan said how his best back line would be Stearman,Dublin,McCarthy and Twatto. You what? Not just one liability (Dublin) but two (Dublin and Twatto).

Then, someone else went on to say how they would love Dublin to be MANAGER. Why? Can someone please explain?

Leicester may be his local club, but at the end of the day he doesnt give a shit wether we go down or not. This is his final pay-day. It appears to me thought that some of you are too naive to recognise this.

He had an opportunity to join Leicester (was it before he joined Cov or Villa?) and he turned it down.

Some of you may say that he has the right characteristics to be a good coach, to get the team going etc...

So why do the players lack passion, energy and most importantly belief? There is no doubting this is a team capable of being in he play off spots.

So this is why Dublin can piss off. Oh, and take Levein, de Vries, Hamill, Kisnorbo and Douglas with you.

Somewhere within this forum I've explained why Dublin should be considered as manager.

In all the circumstances they seemed logical reasons to me.

I'm not aware that Dublin has any responsibility for coaching/team spirit just that young players mention that he helps them when they're in the team.

I agree with you comment about the play-offs but if you really disagree with my points on Dublin why not say why. It was only put forward to gauge feeelings simply because the options don't seem very convincing and probably wouldn't be very practical at this stage.

I have no flag to fly for Dublin or anyone else. I'm only interested in getting an attack-minded manager at the helm who continues our commitment to developing young players and can have aninspirational effect.

Dublin seemed a reasonable option when I put the names down but I'm all ears to your suggestions.

PS: As for your players out list I'd go along with all of em but DeVries. I cannot see that DeVries is anything but 100%. He's our top scorer and crates havoc. Not necessarily first choice now but certainly a useful chap to have around.

As i have said before

Dublin may have been from leicester, but he supported west brom growing up, leicester isn't his club and he certainly wouldn't bleed leicester blue if you cut him.

this is his last pay day, i can't believe some people actually think he loves the club.

Somewhere within this forum I've explained why Dublin should be considered as manager.

In all the circumstances they seemed logical reasons to me.

I'm not aware that Dublin has any responsibility for coaching/team spirit just that young players mention that he helps them when they're in the team.I agree with you comment about the play-offs but if you really disagree with my points on Dublin why not say why. It was only put forward to gauge feeelings simply because the options don't seem very convincing and probably wouldn't be very practical at this stage.

I have no flag to fly for Dublin or anyone else. I'm only interested in getting an attack-minded manager at the helm who continues our commitment to developing young players and can have aninspirational effect.

Dublin seemed a reasonable option when I put the names down but I'm all ears to your suggestions.

I appreciate this Thrac about the younger players, but if he is such an influence around the club why is he not on the bench at games (not on the bench as a player but as a 'sort of' coach/leader/someone to look up to?

He should be around the club all the time ESPECIALLY on match days IMO

There are three problems with Dublin at centreback.

1) We can't play a high defensive line for obvious reasons.

2) He does tend to commit mistakes because he's too casual.

3) Some of his passing is woeful. A lot of slices and long balls that go out of play.

However, what he does add is leadership, experience and his strength in the air. Unfortunately, he's only good enough as back up for central defence, and shouldn't even be considered as a striker. With that in mind, he's not justifying his wages, which I imagine are fairly high in comparison to the rest of the squad.

3) Some of his passing is woeful. A lot of slices and long balls that go out of play.

However, what he does add is leadership, experience and his strength in the air. Unfortunately, he's only good enough as back up for central defence, and shouldn't even be considered as a striker. With that in mind, he's not justifying his wages, which I imagine are fairly high in comparison to the rest of the squad.

Leadership- Agree

Experience- Very much agree

Strength in the air- Disagree. Although he seems good in the air up front, he is deceivingly bad at the back. Think back to Stoke. Who was at fault was it for Sidibes goal?

Strength in the air- Disagree. Although he seems good in the air up front, he is deceivingly bad at the back. Think back to Stoke. Who was at fault was it for Sidibes goal?

Ironically, he barely wins a header upfront! The Sidibe goal was just one example where he's lost out in the air, but that was from just inside the area. :huh: A bit of a freak goal in all honesty. From what I can recall, I can't think of any other goal conceded this season, which was a result of Dublin losing out in the air.

I agree with what most of you say!! He is well over the hill, but I must say he was ready to retire at the end of last season, it was Levien who tempted him back in. It has been well publicised that Levien and Dion have had there bust up, I suppose that would have dampened any effect dion has had on the players!!!

Ironically, he barely wins a header upfront! The Sidibe goal was just one example where he's lost out in the air, but that was from just inside the area. :huh: A bit of a freak goal in all honesty. From what I can recall, I can't think of any other goal conceded this season, which was a result of Dublin losing out in the air.

Agree, he hasnt made that many mistakes in the air (apart from Stoke). Thats mainly due to the fact that he hasnt played that much. Whenever he has played though, he has made at least one mistake a game and it has cost us.

He has also cost us probably 2 points (was it against Watford?) when he was 1-on-1 with the keeper and blasted wide.

'I agree with what most of you say!! He is well over the hill, but I must say he was ready to retire at the end of last season, it was Levien who tempted him back in. It has been well publicised that Levien and Dion have had there bust up, I suppose that would have dampened any effect dion has had on the players!!!'-The Singh

Why does Levein seem to have loads of bust ups? Why cant he have a bust up with his bummer boys Kisnorbo, de Vries,Hamill and Douglas?

Why does Levein seem to have loads of bust ups? Why cant he have a bust up with his bummer boys Kisnorbo, de Vries,Hamill and Douglas?

I think the answer is in the question :thumbup:

:D fox4eva has it!!

The youth players look up to Dublin.

My mate met Richard Stearman on a night out in Loughborough during pre season and Stearman point it out to him then.

And there is your problem.

CL wanted to ditch him when he turned up but couldn't and the board wouldn't pay him off. Suddenly he stays and what promises to be a great new future isn't quite that.

He has sponged so much money out of this Club, was never good enough to be signed and he has undermined CL all the way, but when the board resign him then the game is up.

Leicester through and through, if you believe that then you really are a deluded individual.

I appreciate this Thrac about the younger players, but if he is such an influence around the club why is he not on the bench at games (not on the bench as a player but as a 'sort of' coach/leader/someone to look up to?

He should be around the club all the time ESPECIALLY on match days IMO

Well in Levein's precarious position and knowing of his dislike for Directors of Football, it might not be politic.

And, Levein has his "own" coaches on the sidelines so, again, it might not be appreciated having Dublin put his 10-pennyworth in.

The groundswell seems to think Reid/McAllister will get the nod but I find it strange, in our financial position, to think of appointing two managers in effect. Reid had a good spell at Sunderland but was eventually pushed out and his record since then - and McAllister's record - doesn't make compulsive reading.

If, as has been suggested, a short term fix is needed first (to see us clear of relegation) why pay two chaps instead of one when neither appear to be sure bets as potential managerial winners.

Don't read me wrong about Dublin. I'd have much sooner had Mike Newell or George Burley to anyone mentioned so far and, like others, believe Peter Reid to be a yesterday man.

Well in Levein's precarious position and knowing of his dislike for Directors of Football, it might not be politic.

And, Levein has his "own" coaches on the sidelines so, again, it might not be appreciated having Dublin put his 10-pennyworth in.

The groundswell seems to think Reid/McAllister will get the nod but I find it strange, in our financial position, to think of appointing two managers in effect. Reid had a good spell at Sunderland but was eventually pushed out and his record since then - and McAllister's record - doesn't make compulsive reading.

If, as has been suggested, a short term fix is needed first (to see us clear of relegation) why pay two chaps instead of one when neither appear to be sure bets as potential managerial winners.

Don't read me wrong about Dublin. I'd have much sooner had Mike Newell or George Burley to anyone mentioned so far and, like others, believe Peter Reid to be a yesterday man.

Couldn't agree more.... :thumbup:

Thracian, i have just read your article about Dion becoming City manager and i hope you didnt misinterpret what i said as having a dig at you, let me make that clear. I wasnt singling out yourself, but certain individuals who seem to worship Dublin (and i do not think he is worthy) on this forum.

I only just read the article and thought you made some valid points, but i still havent changed my mind!

Also, if monkey 'ed comes anywhere near LCFC i aint renewing my season ticket! Thats bull anyway. As was said on that thread, Levein has travelled down to Plymouth with the players, so what is going to happen? He is going to get sacked there and then. It'll be a long journey back to Scotland!

Am i missing something... except for williams being punished for walking out of a game at half time. Has he fallen out with anyone else?

I think our best defence for tomorrow would be:

Maybury RB (He's wank on the left but half-decent on the right)

Dublin CB

McCarthy CB

Stearman LB (He would be better at LB than maybury is)

I would play Dublin for the simple reason that if he doesnt play, our defence is shaky, and has absolutely no communication. Nissa is shit.

If Levein plays Johansson tomorrow and Maybury at left back, i will cry.

I agree with all of that and until I read your post I believed that we were to some extent snookered and that Dublin was simply the best option, being the only one who could cope with big, strong centre-forwards. Nils and Gerrbrand are certainly not dominant enough.

However, you have prompted me to think again and especially with your first point.

The only way we can achieve a high line with the players we have is to risk playing Stearman at centre-back.

He does lack bulk. But if we press high that would possibly be negated. He's shown himself to be adaptable and to learn quickly and to concentrate. His moving to centre-back would allow Maybury to go back to his best position at right back and Sheehan to come in at left back. This would suit my own preference for a full-press commitment to attack.

Unless the aerially capable and highly mobile O'Grady has talents as a centre-back I'm not aware of I'm struggling to think of anything else which would negate the problems you mention and allow us to have a chance of consistently scoring enough goals to win matches regularly.

I'm not pretending there are no risks to the above, there are, but at least we'd be fielding a consistently fast and mobile side with everyone in their natural position.

Archived