Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicfox

O'Neil - His word

This is a great read. :thumbup:

THE boss tipped to take over at Newcastle United promised he would never manage the Mags.

Former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill made the vow to Sunderland fans Alan and Margaret Thompson at SAFC captain Kevin Ball's testimonial dinner seven years ago.

He is today touted as future manager of both Newcastle and England, but at the dinner he signed a programme: "I promise I won't manage the Mags".

Alan and Margaret dug it out when O'Neill became 7/4 favourite to go to Newcastle.

Alan, 47, said: "O'Neill was there as a guest speaker and he was just passing our table on his way to the toilet and I stopped him and asked him to sign the programme for Margaret.

"We were chatting about football and things and he said he would never manage Newcastle, then when he was signing his name, he wrote "I will never manage the Mags.

"We've kept it all these years and I thought I would get it out when I read he was one of the favourites for the job."

Fans' favourite Kevin Ball said he was "amazed" Alan had kept the memento and said O'Neill would see the funny side.

"It's amazing the things that you say to people at these kinds of functions and when they come back to haunt you. It's quite funny.

"I don't know what Martin will do because he has been tipped for the England job as well and he's a brilliant manager and a great guy, but I'm sure if he does go to Newcastle' he will take Mrs Thompson a bunch of flowers to make it up."

Lifelong Sunderland fan, Alan, an engineer for BT, said he would be disappointed if O'Neill went to Newcastle, but not surprised.

He said: "It would be great for Newcastle if he went there, but I'm just hoping he is a man of his word."

Alan says that during his speech, O'Neill hinted at becoming Sunderland boss, producing a mock letter from chairman Bob Murray asking him to come to Wearside.

He added: "I would like to see him at Sunderland and in his speech he read out a fictitious letter that was supposed to be from Bob Murray inviting him to be Sunderland manager in 2006. That was in 1999, so it's quite strange how it's all worked out."

Archived