Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Janx

The Way we were... musings

<_< Not sure why this would be interesting, but I was having a drunken chat with a mate last night, saying how we used to "enjoy" the FA CUP every year, and how it has changed for us and doesnt have the same impact in our lives as nor does it with the clubs themselves.....

Who can forget their finest FA CUP memory...for me

1979 Arsenal V Man U....

OK the match itself was pretty ordinary, until the last 3 mins, then it redeemed itself to be one of the finest ever.

I remember in those days not being able to sleep the night before, ever since the 1976 Southampton final..my first that I remember through the 78 Ipswich, 80 West Ham triumph 81 and Rickys tricks, all the way through to about 1991, then for me the magic started to dwindle, probably due to my age...

My FA CUP Final Diary

GEt up sit in front of telly, have my breakfast brought to me on a tray and then about 12 bells Grandstand FA CUP final special would start, special editions of A question of Sport, leaving the hotels, watching them play cards, individual profiles, by the time of the match you knew each of them by name, and all about them and why this occasion was particularly important..eg their wife was up the duff, they were the youngest ever etc etc arriving at the ground, walking the pitch, and the Band!

Having my lunch delivered on a tray, and being frustrated that I would have to leave my seat to go to the bog! Should have got a commode!

Then at final whistle wiping the tear away or celebrating for a team that the next week you would have no feelings for whatsoever!

Then hareing down the rec to recreate every attacking move that you can remember.....

AW the wonder of childhood and the cynicism of being a grown up....how I would love to see football through the eyes of a 9 year old again :cry:

:thumbup:

<_< Not sure why this would be interesting, but I was having a drunken chat with a mate last night, saying how we used to "enjoy" the FA CUP every year, and how it has changed for us and doesnt have the same impact in our lives as nor does it with the clubs themselves.....

1979 Arsenal V Man U....

OK the match itself was pretty ordinary, until the last 3 mins, then it redeemed itself to be one of the finest ever.

I remember in those days not being able to sleep the night before, ever since the 1976 Southampton final..my first that I remember through the 78 Ipswich, 80 West Ham triumph 81 and Rickys tricks, all the way through to about 1991, then for me the magic started to dwindle, probably due to my age...

My FA CUP Final Diary

GEt up sit in front of telly, have my breakfast brought to me on a tray and then about 12 bells Grandstand FA CUP final special would start, special editions of A question of Sport, leaving the hotels, watching them play cards, individual profiles, by the time of the match you knew each of them by name, and all about them and why this occasion was particularly important..eg their wife was up the duff, they were the youngest ever etc etc arriving at the ground, walking the pitch, and the Band!

Having my lunch delivered on a tray, and being frustrated that I would have to leave my seat to go to the bog! Should have got a commode!

Then at final whistle wiping the tear away or celebrating for a team that the next week you would have no feelings for whatsoever!

Then hareing down the rec to recreate every attacking move that you can remember.....

AW the wonder of childhood and the cynicism of being a grown up....how I would love to see football through the eyes of a 9 year old again :cry:

I would say the same if i wasn't at Wembley watching a soul destroying defeat to Swindon when i was 9.

1979 Arsenal V Man U....

My FA CUP Final Diary

I don't think it's the eyes of a 9year old I just think that the whole FA Cup thing is not as good as it used to be!!! maybe it's because you can watch a match on TV every night of the week and TV games are not as special as they used to be, maybe it's becuase the magic has gone with Manure and Arsenal one of which is always in the final!! I also think that the TV Coverage isn't as good the build up used to be amazing on Grandstand they sometimes travelled on the team coach on the way to the ground, that would never happen now and the fantastic but very poor FA Cup songs I think they should make a comeback as soon as possible!!!

I also think the matches just aren't as good as they used to be it's hard to think of a really memorable FA Cup final over the past 10 years, I grew up in the 80's with Liverpool Vs Everton finals and big shocks like Cov beating Spurs, Wimbledon beating Liverpool!! now I am resigned to it being one sided or a boring draw going to penaltys

I also think the matches just aren't as good as they used to be it's hard to think of a really memorable FA Cup final over the past 10 years, I grew up in the 80's with Liverpool Vs Everton finals and big shocks like Cov beating Spurs, Wimbledon beating Liverpool!! now I am resigned to it being one sided or a boring draw going to penaltys

The first one I can remember watching would have been Man Yoo v Brighton in 1983 (I think). I honestly can't remember the last few, they've been so uneventful. For me, the big end-of-season game is the Championship Play-Off Final.

Going back to the Cup, Cov/Spurs was probably the best Final I can remember.

Archived