Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rugby Fox

Rob Kelly

Given that he almost certainly will be,I think a more pressing issue is our goalkeeping weakness.With both Douglas and Henderson on long contracts,he has got to get at least one of them out and a new one in.

it's a testing run in. Reading, Palace and Preston at home, Norwich and Cov away in the next 5 games. if we come through those games in a positive fashion i think the job is certainly for Kelly. A run of defeats and no doubt people will start to question him though.

I firmly believe - and think the hints are there in various things he says - that Kelly will accept the challenge of a longer managerial tenure if given the chance - and I think that chance should be given.

However the fans should be cautious of turning appreciation into extended hero worship.

He is a hero right now, no question. Whatever the sceptics still say about the job not being finally done, Kelly and his team have saved us from things which are hard to imagine. He deserves at least one chapter in the hall of fame already.

But football-wise much of yesterday's performance was horrible just as it has been on other occasions (Ipswich/Southampton/Wolves) but also at times after we have, like yesterday, taken the lead (Brighton even QPR to a lesser extent) and then just settled for spoiling football.

That is not the vision I have for the future and hope it is not his.

However it might just be wise to wait and see if Kelly can fashion a proper football team by adding to and fine-tuning the raw materials at his disposal before making judgement on his broader managerial capabilities.

There are various longterm shortcomings at the club which have not been effectively addressed and certain aspects of Kelly's tactical preferencies which worry me.

But results/special circumstances/optional limitations make the tactics at least understandable and, although I hate the concession to ugly football, arguably excuseable.

But it won't always be so.

In fact it won't be so any more really because job number one is done and it is time now to look forwards.

Archived