Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
southcoastfox

LCFC Archive

Does anyone know of an LCFC Archive or anyone who keeps one?

MY grandad played a few games for the mighty foxes pre-war and I was hoping to get details of his career.

Have you looked in of fossils & Foxes? If you haven't got a copy post his name and I'll look up the details.

Thanks for that.

His name is Ernest (ernie) Lewin.

I don't know exactly when he played or how many games I just remember nan with a very old yellow clip from the mercury with him mentioned in a report.

My guess is it was just pre-war or maybe one of the inter war games.

Stu

I stand to be corrected - but I think a lot of games during WWII were essentially unofficial and 100% accurate records are difficult to come by in this period. A lot of amateur players were used by City at this time.

Apparently legends Ted Drake (Arsenal) and Tommy Lawton (Everton, Notts Co) played unofficially for City during the war.

I stand to be corrected - but I think a lot of games during WWII were essentially unofficial and 100% accurate records are difficult to come by in this period. A lot of amateur players were used by City at this time.

Apparently legends Ted Drake (Arsenal) and Tommy Lawton (Everton, Notts Co) played unofficially for City during the war.

Billy Wright also :)

Thanks for that.

His name is Ernest (ernie) Lewin.

I don't know exactly when he played or how many games I just remember nan with a very old yellow clip from the mercury with him mentioned in a report.

My guess is it was just pre-war or maybe one of the inter war games.

Stu

I can't find any mention of him in either the formal list of signed players or those that played through the war years.

Any chance you can identify the specific match?

There's a 'full' list of players who turned out for us during both wars along with a games and teams if of Fossils & Foxes

Other than in the first couple of years of the 1st World War, there was nothing unofficial about the use of 'guest players'. Many teams were depleted as their players went off to war and in many cases there would have been no way that they could have completed their fixtures without these guests. Unofficial at first, the FA authorised their use in 1916 and they were allowed officially allowed throughout the 2nd War.

Unfortunately the Ernest Lewin, mentioned by the OP, seems never to have played for the City first-team (war-time or otherwise). I know that the authors of oF&F regularly get requests for information about relatives that were said to have played for City; in many many cases, it turns out not to be so unfortunately.

Other than in the first couple of years of the 1st World War, there was nothing unofficial about the use of 'guest players'. Many teams were depleted as their players went off to war and in many cases there would have been no way that they could have completed their fixtures without these guests. Unofficial at first, the FA authorised their use in 1916 and they were allowed officially allowed throughout the 2nd War.

Unfortunately the Ernest Lewin, mentioned by the OP, seems never to have played for the City first-team (war-time or otherwise). I know that the authors of oF&F regularly get requests for information about relatives that were said to have played for City; in many many cases, it turns out not to be so unfortunately.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Archived