Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

2 signings

Not being funny sunshine, but when you have the finances West Brom have compared to us then they are in a position to want better and get better. They also have alot of players at their disposal that they can keep or sell on to raise extra money to get out of this league.

Richard Chaplow, Jason Koumas, Junichi Inamoto, Zoltan Gera, Nigel Quashie, Jonathan Greening and Darren Carter means they probably can afford to let Johnson go. Don't try to tell me that there aren't any decent players out there who have been bounced out by clubs of similar ilk to us because there is. We've got rid of certain players in the past 6 years that have gone on to do fairly well at this level and we'd love to see them back here, although we're perhaps not the best club to model this theory on as we've also had lots of dross that have proved to be dross elsewhere aswell.

I'm not saying Johnson is going to be class, but with our current finance (I know that's the clubs fault, but short term we can't do anything about that) he's a good player to bring in, with great experience for the likes of Wesolowski and if he can help us better what we achieved last season under Kelly then that's got to be a small success.

As regard to Low, i've never seen him. On previous signings of this stature it's never worked out, but i'm willing to give him a chance. Teams like Luton, even dare I say Hull and Cardiff, etc have signed players from lower leagues who come with question marks and have done well in this league. Obviously those 3 clubs i've used haven't troubled the play-offs which we want to do, but I do believe we have 6 or 7 excellent footballers and that might help players like Low. Perhaps not though :D

I've not seen Low either but your last point was one that crossed my mind. Skillful players can often find it easier playing in better company - more passing options and the opposition often cannot afford to double up their marking because of problems elsewhere. (though they managed it with Smithy)

With any luck, reading comments from people who have seen him, Low should represent more goals from a previously weak area and more height (as someone mentioned), both potentially beneficial.

Seems to me that Kelly has evaluated our weaknesses -well mentioned on City forums - and tried to do something within his means to improve those situations. Simple good sense.

Only time will tell if he's chosen correctly but the intent to steadily improve wherever we can is the most we can reasonably expect in our situation.

My main worry is that he doesn't try to turn Low or anyone else into something they are not. If he's a winger let him try to be the best winger he can be not a pale shadow because he's knackering himself trying to be something else.

By all accounts better consistency will be the main area for improvement and the key to that might be encouragement and back-up from team-mates.

Wingers are often risk players. Marvellous when their trickery pays off and liable to criticism when they cock-up. Wingers are also like full-backs, closest to the crowd, so they hear exactly what the mood of the crowd is and it's important for fans to encourage the bloke so long as he's putting the effort in.

Pissing about with his socks won't be a good idea though.

Archived