Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jordan

JoBeck's 2004 Music Picks

This is just based on what I've heard. Feel free to agree, make fun of, or add any suggestions to this list :)

*Best band in New York: LES SAVY FAV

*Best indie group in the USA: THE AISLERS SET

*Best group in the USA: MODEST MOUSE

*Best group in the UK: RADIOHEAD (come on, who else? ;))

*Best group from Europe you've never heard of: LES BATON ROUGE (also winners of "best band that sings in not-so-perfect English")

OK, and now for the 2004 JoBeck Music Awards...

*Best album of 2004: THE ARCADE FIRE: "Funeral"

*Top 5 albums in 2004 from NY bands/artists:

--- 1) INTERPOL: "Antics"

--- 2) THE SECRET MACHINES: "Now Here is Nowhere"

--- 3) THE WALKMEN: "Bows & Arrows"

--- 4) AMBULANCE LTD. [s/t]

--- 5) JAY-Z: "The Black Album"

*Best album of 2004 from the UK: THE FUTUREHEADS [s/t]

*Best singles compilation: LES SAVY FAV: "Inches"

*Best greatest hits compilation: PEARL JAM: "Rearviewmirror"

*Best "best of" compilation from a band that can't have a "greatest hits" album because they never had any "hits": GUIDED BY VOICES: "Human Amusement at Hourly Rates: The Best of Guided By Voices"

*Best re-released album that I don't have yet: THE CLASH: "London Calling [25th anniversary edition]

*Best album that was unnecessarily re-released: MODEST MOUSE: "The Moon and Antartica"

*Best re-released live album: TALKING HEADS: "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads"

*Best box set: "No Thanks! The '70s Punk Rebellion" [Rhino]

And finally... drum roll... BAND OF THE YEAR: MODEST MOUSE

-While their new album isn't their best, it's still good... while they've been playing the same live set for two years, they've gotten a lot better live... But I've got to give them this award, because they've been excellent for almost a decade and it's great to see them have success.

Can't say I agree or disagree with any of your picks. I don't know ANY of those NY bands you listed. I haven't heard enough British music from this year, and I've never heard of Les Baton Rouges (where are they from?).

Generally I think 2004 hasn't been a great music year, but I have enjoyed albums such as Rammstein's "Reise, Reise" (I'm ½ German ;)) and A Perfect Circle's "eMOTIVE"...

Seems you have a very distinct music taste, so I cant really compare my picks with yours..

Archived