Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

How Can We Judge?

I was persuaded to have some respect for Neville Foulger so I'll just put his latest column down as a bad day at the office.

Foulger says fans are questioning whether Kelly is the man to be manager now MM has taken over but asks "how can we judge?".

Does he go to the matches? Does he take note of what goes on?

"Kelly has never had money to spend and has had to shop around in the bargain basement even in terms of loan signings," says Foulger in apparent mitigation.

But Kelly's not the first manager to have no money and NF knows it.

And if NF doesn't know by now "how we can judge" I'm bloody sure I can't be bothered to tell him but will instead point him to this forum and suggest he does some reading.

Cos all the reasons are in the forum archives somewhere.

Starting with our pathetically weak pre-season, our indefensibly negative approach in the one home friendly against Real Sociedad, the loss of our Reserve team, the hopelessly defensive lineup and start to the season and some players' apparent lack of fitness when the first match arrived.

Some of the continuing reasons have been repeated by any number of different people almost week in, week out.

Just dwell NF on the fans player ratings for far too many matches, and often home matches at that for your evidence.

Cast your mind back to Burnley away, QPR away, Wednesday away, QPR at home and too many more I could mention.

Read the reasons for yourself NF if you don't know. Analyse them and then ask yourself "how can you know whether RK is suitable?".

How could you not know would be my question. And it comes from one who truly didn't want another upheaval.

We can't judge what RK might do in the future? Of even what he might do with a few million pounds.

But we can see, if we look, what's gone on in the past, the team selections, the negative tactics, the signings like Low and Horsfield and Johnson and Yeates and Glombard.

And on that basis I'd just ask NF this if he really remains uncertain about RK ....

Would you give say £5m OF YOUR MONEY to RK for the purchase of footballers?.

I buy and sell things every day. I'm used to losing some as well as winning - and losing quite heavily at times.

But no he wouldn't get £5m of mine. I wouldn't risk a oner to be honest but that's just my view.

Speak thee mind NF. Would he get yours?.

If not, you've got your answer really.

Cos for MM, that really is the question.

And it's a question every fan might ask themselves really.

Depending on how you look at R Kelly, it is possible to have both good things and lesser things to say about his situation.

You do have to feel sorry for him when it comes to managing the team on a shoe-string budget that couldnt afford £150k for Joey Gudjohnsen. You do have to feel sorry for him having his hands tied up in even bringing in loan signings until he sold players like COG and more importantly Williams before he could bring anyone in. He hasnt had it easy. He has also managed to do well last season and save us from relegation.

On the other hand you could question his signings, both Bosmans and Loans with maybe the exception of McAuley which was a great signing. You can question his coaching methods when the bloke has failed to improve any of our first team with the exception of maybe Levi. You have to question pre-season and our training methods with many players looking unfit and we didnt seem ready physically for the start of the season. You also have to question his ability at impressing players into this club as he has been linked but failed to nail any of the bigger name players that we have been linked to on loan. You also have to question why he wont try some academy kids ahead of nobody loanees like Glombard. I dont like the fact that he cant make a decision and I`d put my mortgage on the fact that McAuley wouldnt be playing if Paddy Mac was fit as he has made him his captain and he didnt seem to want to drop him regardless.

Its a difficult call because many managers have come good given time and thats something RK hasnt had and he wont be given that time under Milan. My personal opinion is that this appointment was doomed from the start and not many caretaker managers actually come good. I am also not a fan of these so called talented young managers being chosen ahead of more experienced heads. I cant work out why we are ageist in this country when it comes to football as players seem to be ready for the scrap heap at 30 and managers are deemed useless if they hit 45. Its funny that France, Italy, Greece and Brazil have all played players well into there 30s in recent years and these buggers are the ones who have won all the major footballing events over the past decade or two.

Anyway, RK should not have been given the opportunity to manage a side of this magnitude in the first place and its tme we shock his hand and said thanks for your efforts but your arent for us.

Depending on how you look at R Kelly, it is possible to have both good things and lesser things to say about his situation.

You do have to feel sorry for him when it comes to managing the team on a shoe-string budget that couldnt afford £150k for Joey Gudjohnsen. You do have to feel sorry for him having his hands tied up in even bringing in loan signings until he sold players like COG and more importantly Williams before he could bring anyone in. He hasnt had it easy. He has also managed to do well last season and save us from relegation.

On the other hand you could question his signings, both Bosmans and Loans with maybe the exception of McAuley which was a great signing. You can question his coaching methods when the bloke has failed to improve any of our first team with the exception of maybe Levi. You have to question pre-season and our training methods with many players looking unfit and we didnt seem ready physically for the start of the season. You also have to question his ability at impressing players into this club as he has been linked but failed to nail any of the bigger name players that we have been linked to on loan. You also have to question why he wont try some academy kids ahead of nobody loanees like Glombard. I dont like the fact that he cant make a decision and I`d put my mortgage on the fact that McAuley wouldnt be playing if Paddy Mac was fit as he has made him his captain and he didnt seem to want to drop him regardless.

Its a difficult call because many managers have come good given time and thats something RK hasnt had and he wont be given that time under Milan. My personal opinion is that this appointment was doomed from the start and not many caretaker managers actually come good. I am also not a fan of these so called talented young managers being chosen ahead of more experienced heads. I cant work out why we are ageist in this country when it comes to football as players seem to be ready for the scrap heap at 30 and managers are deemed useless if they hit 45. Its funny that France, Italy, Greece and Brazil have all played players well into there 30s in recent years and these buggers are the ones who have won all the major footballing events over the past decade or two.

Anyway, RK should not have been given the opportunity to manage a side of this magnitude in the first place and its tme we shock his hand and said thanks for your efforts but your arent for us.

I think the reason for players lasting better abroad is the heat. In England the temperatures vary more, the programme is intense here and the older the player the harder it is to recover as the climate variations, on top of more injuries from a more physical game, take their toll.

In South Central Europe, Italy, Spain, Africa or the South Americas the warm weather means players muscles are soon relaxed and the pace of the game is necessarily slower with the ball doing more of the work.

That's probably more condusive to long football careers than wet/windy Britain and 100mph football.

Just a theory - although some players are exceptions, notably wingers like Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews.

I think the reason for players lasting better abroad is the heat. In England the temperatures vary more, the programme is intense here and the older the player the harder it is to recover as the climate variations, on top of more injuries from a more physical game, take their toll.

In South Central Europe, Italy, Spain, Africa or the South Americas the warm weather means players muscles are soon relaxed and the pace of the game is necessarily slower with the ball doing more of the work.

That's probably more condusive to long football careers than wet/windy Britain and 100mph football.

Just a theory - although some players are exceptions, notably wingers like Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews.

I agree with some of the above but the heat has a habit of sapping energy. Also, La Liga is becoming almost as quick as our Premiership so that counters some of the myths that our speedy game is harmful to the players. BTW, domestically there are loads of players that seem to have played well into there 30s but its Internationally where there careers seem to come to an end early.

I agree with some of the above but the heat has a habit of sapping energy. Also, La Liga is becoming almost as quick as our Premiership so that counters some of the myths that our speedy game is harmful to the players. BTW, domestically there are loads of players that seem to have played well into there 30s but its Internationally where there careers seem to come to an end early.

I didn't do it a lot but I loved playing in the sunshine of the South of France rather than in the misery of cold, wet, windy Grimsby or S****horpe. It's a wonder anyone lives past 30 in S****horpe, never mind plays football!. :whistle:

My thoughts in a nutshell, I totally agree.

He's got to go, he's taken us as far as he can. Precisely nowhere, but i'll ever be thankful for him for saving us from relegation last season. The man deserves his £250,000 pay off for doing just that, last season. That should tie him over until he get's another job elsewhere, probably never on the same sort of wage again. But he was never geared up for a managerial role at a club like ours, until the sweaty got the boot. So it's a bonus that he's got himself a years wages at £250,000 and he'll get a pay off of a similar figure.

My thoughts in a nutshell, I totally agree.

He's got to go, he's taken us as far as he can. Precisely nowhere, but i'll ever be thankful for him for saving us from relegation last season. The man deserves his £250,000 pay off for doing just that, last season. That should tie him over until he get's another job elsewhere, probably never on the same sort of wage again. But he was never geared up for a managerial role at a club like ours, until the sweaty got the boot. So it's a bonus that he's got himself a years wages at £250,000 and he'll get a pay off of a similar figure.

Yeah, the same as what Ric say's!!!!!!

I agree that Kelly has had it hard but also agree that he hasn't got enough to be a great manager, in the next 3 years anyway. For me I feel he's just too damn NICE!! Everyone says what a great bloke he is, even MM but that is not one of the qualities high up on the list for being a great manager! Get some one with a bit of fire and passion in, someone who will bollock the players when they perform like they have been doing!

I agree that Kelly has had it hard but also agree that he hasn't got enough to be a great manager, in the next 3 years anyway. For me I feel he's just too damn NICE!! Everyone says what a great bloke he is, even MM but that is not one of the qualities high up on the list for being a great manager! Get some one with a bit of fire and passion in, someone who will bollock the players when they perform like they have been doing!

Here lies one of the main problems I think.

Kelly is way too nice to the players, whether we've drawn a game we should have won or cowardly lost a game playing embarrasingly-disgraceful football which lacks passion, commitment and energy, he doesn't bollock the players. He doesn't give them a wake-up call. He allows them to get away with it. And makes excuses for them. Just like a mother does their child. How the fook can you learn from your mistakes if your mother doesn't tell you you've made them? You can't. Which is why we're still making the same mistakes. Old Mother Kelly never publicly slates the lads. I doubt she could even do it during her period. She needs to go. I've had it with her.

Ask yourself how many successful managers would put up with performances like we have given this season without lambasting them? My guess is approximately none.

To be fair on Kelly, we forgot how bad things got under Adams and Levein. He knows zilch about management, the rot has set but we still have more points than same stage last season. So some improvement is there. I find Kelly distasteful in his PR and attitude to youngsters. I hate the way some people walk into the team when they wouldn't make the under 10s.

How many volts were you thinking of? :D:D

Archived