Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

When did music first recycle itself

Just wondering when everybody thought music began to repeat itself in the chart for the first time, and re-hashing a previous era - obviously we've had Electroclash, New Metal etc. which are all previous re-hashes of older scenes.

I think that Britpop in 1995 was the start of music being rehashed and not innovative as Oasis etc. borrowed too heavily from the influences of Rolling Stones and The Beatles. I love Electropop/New Romo and Post Punk stuff because, as though some see it as cheesy, at least it was innovative at the time in the charts.

someone said on the radio the otherday that edward elgar 'took insperation from' various of the german classical composers i reckon the first recycling came when one cave man heard another tapping out a 4-4 rhythm on a antelope skull with a sabre tooth tiger bone, and went away and copied it instead of being imaginative enough to come up with his own tune.

Archived