Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Folk Off! [Finners]

A short review in a vain attempt to catch up! I don't hold much for giving music a score though (I was always a Melody Maker reader rather than NME for this reason.)

1. Garbutt - Away from the pits

I neither like or dislike this. I like it's rooted folkishness, but honestly, it could be any man and his guitar.

2. NBMDD - London Road

I on't like this much - singer sounds too much like Rod Stewart and I can't abide him. Suppose the tune is pleasant enough though.

3. Great western Squares - Ace of Spades

Nowhere near as good as Hayseed Dixie's version - poor.

4. Iron & Wine - Sodom, South Georgia

I did like this - very nice! Very relaxed and a nice harmony. Glad they clarified which Sodom they were singing about! :P

5. Brett Dennen - So Much More

Not bad, possibly needs a little something, maybe I'm thinking it sounds too much like other people who are already out there. Pleasing to the ear without being especially memorable.

6. NBMDD - Bushbury Mountain

Because their singer kept his trap shut I enjoyed this NBMDD effort much more!

7. Spirit of the West - Home For A Rest

A better than average stab at a shanty than usual. I hate shantys.

8. Dafydd Iwan - Yma o Hyd

I enjoyed this, it sounds "ancient". It however also reminds me of Eurovision. I also want to know why, in the chorus, they sing, "and with our pal Mal Portheth."

9. Billy Bragg - Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards

I've never liked Billy Bragg and this isn't about to change anything.

10. Garbutt - Man of the Earth

Interesting subject, better than the first song, but still nothing special. I've heard to much of this kind of stuff in rural pubs up and down the country for it to be outstanding.

11. The Tossers - Finnegan's Wake

A better shanty - but I'd prefer a shandy.

Thanks Finners. I might not have like much there, but it provided me with new stuff!

Archived