Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Folk Off! [Finners]

I seem to have managed to cheekily be last on the list but get nominated / volunteer to be first to go.

The first one of these I did was crap, a sporodic mix of genres I drunkenly put together at uni. The second one of these I did was obnoxious, loud, simplistic guitar music and so the third I'm trying to shoe in the other half of my taste in music which is ultimately folk.

I figured most people will have heard the likes of Flogging Molly, the Dropkick Murphys and other folk-punk artists before and even if they haven't, they're so accesible that it's probably because they didn't want to.

So I've put together a mix of less common-place stuff. I imagine Libertine's heard some of it before for sure and I've probably tried to push some of it on Fez a couple of years back. Here we go anyway:

FOLK OFF! MIXTAPE

I've numbered the file names, I've added in a Windows Media Player play list file and I've even put in a .txt document with the track listing so there's really no excues for not having them in the correct order.

Hope you enjoy - but I really won't get my hopes up. :whistle:

1. Garbutt - Away from the pits

Not bad, easy to listen to and the sort of song that if you knew the words to you'd have to sing along...nothing special though. 6/10

2. NBMDD - London Road

Quite a lively song with a catchy tune. Not majorly different from the first one....6/10

3. Great western Squares - Ace of Spades

Didn't really enjoy this - like the original version of the song but I thought this was all a bit awkward. They've sort of tried to put too many sounds into the tune and in the background, and for me it hasn't really worked. 4/10

4. Iron & Wine - Sodom, South Georgia

Really like this, the sort of song I listen to quite a lot...nice vocals and not too many conflicting sounds, really good. Have copied that straight into my regular listening playlist, and will check out other songs from that artist later. 9/10

5. Brett Dennen - So Much More

Loved this an' all. Like the lyrics, and in some ways I can really relate to them. It's a nice song and again love the vocals...9/10.

6. NBMDD - Bushbury Mountain

I'll be honest and say this didn't do anything for me at all. Probably cause there's no vocals, but also it was a bit repetitive and I was waiting 6 minutes for something to happen. 3/10

7. Spirit of the West - Home For A Rest

Very catchy. One of them tunes you can't help but nod your head or tap your foot to. 7/10

8. Dafydd Iwan - Yma o Hyd

Not bad, decent enough song but failed to really engage me. 5/10

9. Billy Bragg - Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards

Liked this, lively and nice tune. Had to sing along at the end. WAITING...FOR THE GREAT LEAP FORWARRRRRRRRRRDS. 8/10

10. Garbutt - Man of the Earth

Introductions like the one on this really annoy me, just get on with it already. But like the earlier song from him, quite decent once it gets into it. 5/10

11. The Tossers - Finnegan's Wake

Most of this song was a tad annoying, and I found it a bit slow for my liking. The chorus was quite nice though, massive contrast to the rest of the song. 5/10

A lot of this kind of stuff I've never really listened to and thought about, so was nice to listen to something a bit different. Really liked a couple of them, Iron and Wine's probably being my favourite, but some of them weren't really to my taste.

Average rating of: 6/10.

Thanks for sharing, Finners.

Introductions like the one on this really annoy me, just get on with it already. But like the earlier song from him, quite decent once it gets into it. 5/10

lol Welcome to folk! Aye, he loves the sound of his own voice. I was going to use audacity to trim the "patter" but I thought it'd take the character out of it.

Thanks for listening!

1. Garbutt - Away From The Pits

I like this a lot. Got a catchy tune and meaningful lyrics. Definatley an artist I'd like to hear some more of. 8/10

2. NBMDD - London Road

Very much like the above. A song I'd call a toe tapper. 7/10

3. Great western Squares - Ace of Spades

What a different take on a classic song. Really enjoyed this one. 8/10

4. I&W - Sodom, South Georgia

My favourite on the cd. A great song to chillout to. 10/10

I like this guy's voice a lot. Another really good song. 8/10

6. NBMDD - Bushbury Mountain

A good instrumental piece. Another one I really like. 7/10

7. Spirit of the West - Home For A Rest

This is brilliant. Loved all of the instrumental pieces in it. 8/10

8. Dafydd Iwan - Yma o Hyd

This Guy's got an amazing voice. Very passionatley sung. 8/10

9. Billy Bragg - Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards

I recently got into Billy Bragg, so I really like this song. 9/10

Very much like the Garbutt review above, meaningful lyrics. 8/10

A bit of a moody song to finish the CD with. Another band I would like to hear some more of. 8/10

Finnegan came up with a good mix here. Not a song I didn't like. Definatley discovered some artists I could listen to some more of.

Overall rating 8/10.

Vin Garbutt's so amazingly underrated by a country that's tragically forgotten it's own folk roots. As a result he's one of the few artists I'm really uncomfortable encouraging the downloading of. There's a few more of his songs I can send you but I'd rather not upload an entire album.

Again, thanks for litsening. Glad you enjoyed.

Vin Garbutt's so amazingly underrated by a country that's tragically forgotten it's own folk roots. As a result he's one of the few artists I'm really uncomfortable encouraging the downloading of. There's a few more of his songs I can send you but I'd rather not upload an entire album.

Again, thanks for litsening. Glad you enjoyed.

That's fine, don't worry about it :thumbup:

Loved this an' all. Like the lyrics, and in some ways I can really relate to them. It's a nice song and again love the vocals...9/10.

Listened to this again, looking at the lyrics. And this relates to me in more of a way than I first realised. Powerful song.

Think this has to be my favourite out the lot now.

I had to seriously fight temptation to not put
in instead but it's a little over done. If you liked There Is So Much More it's worth a check, the video's pretty handy too.

Haha, I know the feeling!

Ash you should listen to that too though and check him oot properly innit blad.

I had to seriously fight temptation to not put
in instead but it's a little over done. If you liked There Is So Much More it's worth a check, the video's pretty handy too.

Cheers for that, the video is very powerful.

Probably won't go into too much detail bar the ratings.

1. Vin Garbutt - Away From the Pits 7/10

Yeh, good shit. Bit too long for me for that kind of thing maybe.

2. The New Bushbury Mountain Daredevils - London Road 7.6/10 ;)

Heard this before when Finners send it me and love the music. Vocals are cool but seem mildly out of place in a way.

3. Great Western Squares - Ace of Spades 6/10

Erm, I liked it a little but couldn't get into it too much.

4. Iron & Wine - Sodom South Georgia 8/10

I friggin' love Iron & Wine, but don't actual possess anything by him which may surprise Finners a bit. :P So this was new to me and was awesome as ever.

5. Brett Dennen - There is so Much More 9/10

I friggin' love Brett Dennen and have all his albums on my laptop. He's such a sexy bitch. Nom.

6. The New Bushbury Mountain Daredevils - Bushbury Mountain 8/10

Awesome instrumental track. Liked it a lot.

7. Spirit of the West - Home for a Rest 7/10

Gooood. Thought the vocals were alright but more enjoyed the instrumental outro.

8. Daffyd Iwan - Yma O Hyd 8/10

Coolio. Liked the lead vocals and then the big chorus shiz like was great. Nice melody and chords.

9. Billy Bragg - Great Leap Forwards 7/10

Not what I expected, but sweet. Nice piani.

10. Vin Garbutt - Man of the Earth 7/10

Again, heard this before when Finlay sent it me. Nice rhythm and chords. Like it.

11. The Tossers - Finnegan's Wake 7/10

Was kind of expecting more of a 'classic' punk sound due to the name etc. :P But good, Pogues-ish stuff.

[/fencesitter]

Totally not into folk apart from Dropkicks/Flogging Molly/Real McKenzies folk/punk but thats going years back, so wasn't a surprise when the first 3 (+6,10) tracks didn't do anything at all for me! :P

4. Iron & Wine - Sodom South Georgia - Never really got into Iron and Wine properly before but I liked this song. 7/10

5. Brett Dennen - There Is So Much More - Not usually my thing but I really liked that 8/10!

7. Spirit of the West - This was alright. 6/10

8. Dafydd Iwan - Hmmm, one for the Welsh :|

9. Billy Bragg - Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards - This was alright too! 6/10

11. The Tossers - Finnegan's Wake - Wasn't keen 4/10

Of them all though I'd probably only listen to songs 4/5.

Your title says it all, Folk off Finners.

My folk love extends to Iron & Wine, Calexico, Vashti Bunyan and a few others. Folk punk is horrible and needs to die in a hole.

Which is why it isn't folk punk...

Like I said last time - nobody expects you to like all of their mixtape (least of all myself) and the whole point is criticism/praise/feedback but if you're just going to be a twat again and then act surprised when nobody's got time for your bland, unsigned indie is there any point you participating?

Which is why it isn't folk punk...

Like I said last time - nobody expects you to like all of their mixtape (least of all myself) and the whole point is criticism/praise/feedback but if you're just going to be a twat again and then act surprised when nobody's got time for your bland, unsigned indie is there any point you participating?

istockphoto_440872_hook_line_and_sinker.jpg

This begs the question though - Are you Uncle Albert in disguise?

1. Vin Garbutt - Away From the Pits

I don't dislike it, I don't think it's bad but I'm not really getting it and I can't like his voice somehow. It sounds a bit too much like the Irish stuff my Grandad listens to, which is putting me off somehow. That's not a critique I'm just trying to work out why I'm not feeling it. Sorry :/

5/10

2. The New Bushbury Mountain Daredevils - London Road

I think I decided I liked this about 5 seconds in. Bouncy. Still just a wee bit hackneyed somehow but it's still worth listening to. I think you'll like my track #14 Finners.

6.5/10

3. Great Western Squares - Ace of Spades

Was this the one you said would be terrible quality? Ow. Not too bad beneath that, little bit novelty though.

6/10

4. Iron & Wine - Sodom South Georgia

Best thing so far by quite a way, though he's done better :P

8/10.

5. Brett Dennen - There is so Much More

I like this a fair bit. OH WOW PEDAL STEEL GUITAR BEST INSTRUMENT EVER (sometimes)

7.5/10

6. The New Bushbury Mountain Daredevils - Bushbury Mountain

This is great, best thing so far is this one actually. Buildup and tension and ebb and flow is lovely rather than dull like it can be quite easily. First thing I'd like to listen to again. Musically accomplished. You might like mine more than I'd thought Finners, I'd thought you might prefer my 2nd half but the first half is musically if not sonically fairly similar in places.

9.5/10

7. Spirit of the West - Home for a Rest

Garish, jarred a bit after that. Didn't like it at all.

4/10

8. Daffyd Iwan - Yma O Hyd

I was really enjoying it before the mass of voices came in! It sounds much too OTT now.

5/10

9. Billy Bragg - Great Leap Forwards

Like this quite a bit. Better as it goes.

7.5/10

10. Vin Garbutt - Man of the Earth

Really don't like him. I might be biased because I had to analyse a transcript of a dry interview he did for a school paper for my English A-level mocks. Skipped half of this if I'm honest. (but only because I listened to his other one all the way through!)

5/10

Don't know what to say. Not really for me.

5/10

Overall: I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here as I don't like Irishy sounding music at all and didn't like either of the Garbutt songs, taking out about half the tape. Tracks 4-6 were a highlight, especially 6 which I thought was fantastic and am going to play again the second I finish this sentence.

Too right yoof. If I get one person really liking just one track on mine and going to check the artist out further I'll be chuffed.

Archived