Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

James.

Here it is. I know things have fizzled out a bit but hopefully this will spark a bit of interest again. Obviously people should do the others before mine and I'll try to get Lavrentis and Smuts done soon (I know I keep saying that but shit keeps coming up!).

Only 11 tracks but a good reflection of some of my favourite ever music. Hopefully some of it will surprise you and you'll take at least 1 track off it to listen to again and investigate further. Enjoy.

1. Fink - Trouble's What You're In

2. DJ Krush - Danger Of Love

3. One Self - Bluebird

4. DJ Vadim - Soldier

5. Distance - Headstrung

6. Lynx & Kemo - Apocalypse

7. Adele - Hometown Glory (High Contrast remix)

8. The Subs - Music Is The New Religion

9. Amon Tobin - Four Ton Mantis

10. Ane Brun, Koop - Koop Island Blues

11. Aim - Sail

DOWNLOAD

I can't really be arsed to review all the others fully. Smutsy's was listenable for a change lol I actually enjoyed that and knew a fair few of the songs already. Not a huge fan of any of the others I haven't reviewed, I don't think. Highs and lows but generally not my bag. Apart from Jay's which was quality as always. Little bit disappointed I already knew half the songs in that one but the other half made up for that.

Right... that's that out of the way. 5 songs each next time I think. :D Once you get a few stacking up when stuff comes up, it's a chore.

Will do a proper review of this. :P

Fook it listened it to it tonight. As always I listened to each tune fully and have reviwed to as in depth as possible but please, please don't take anything to heart (Fez) as its just my opinion and thats all.

Anyway here ya go. :D

8/10 Nice and simple how I like it. Lovely riff this is just the sort of folk (is that the right genre) I like. Reminds me of a male version of mazzy star which can only be good thing. Deep and soulfull which is the most important aspect. This would be perfect for a stoned drive home but suicidal on a come down. Overall this will be getting a few more plays.

6/10 Krush is one of those names im well aware of but haven't listened to much for one reason or another. The female vocale is nice and sounds like a cross of a famous old soul singer and Macy Gray. The beat is ok but nothing standout but it suits the track well. Nice and chilled and reminds me of my times at café del mar drinking a cocktail in the Ibiza sunlight. Unfortunatly this isin’t the sort of thing I would listen to on the norm unless I wanted to get to sleep early but not a bad tune in its own right.

3. One Self – Bluebird

6/10 Nice funky beat. Reminds me of something I can't quite pin at this moment in time. Another nice chilled tune something I wouldn’t normally listen to but im seeing a recourring theme here and would be perfect for hat stoned journey home in the early hours. :D James you should release a compilation the titled "The Stoners Sessions".

4. DJ Vadim – Soldier

3/10 Vadim im a big fan of and this is a new tune to me. I really like the intro and certain elements especially the rasta singing during the verses but im not feeling the rapping. Im guessing its French? I do like foreign rapping because it can sound good even if you don’t understand the lyics but the tune itself sounds like this modern dancehall stuff which personally im not a fan of at all. Personally for me it’s a poor mans reggae and since damian marleys welcome to jamrock seems to all very sound similar. Edit: I liked the outro from 3:28 and if that was running through the tune as a instrumental would be quality. Overall not my thing at all.

5. Distance – Headstrung

6/10 Nice tune but not sure if its my ears but the mixdown is overly trebley for me and is irritating my ears. Im only listening on headphones and will give it another listen on the monitors tomorrow. Back to the tune sounds familiar and you cannot detest the riff of that bassline as it is rude but just lacking that punch. Sorry but im a dweeb when it comes to clarity. The strings are also quite nice when they kick back in and give that latino feel. Is this a bootleg/cover of a tune because ive defo heard that bassline from somewhere and you will have to tell me where from or it will do my nut in.

6. Lynx & Kemo – Apocalypse

6/10 I don’t need to give my views on Lynx and Kemo as im sure you know my views on them. Unfortunatly though this isin’t one of my favourable tracks from them. I really find Lynx hit and miss sometimes. Maybe its because I cain Carnivale on vinyl whenever possible and that was there prime for me. On the other hand Kemos lyrics are on point as usual and his voice compliments lynxs beats as dynamite did roni size and dare I say better. The production is spot on as always just not one of my favs from the german duo. I do have a soft spot for the outro nice flowing chilled beats.

6/10 High contrast what a talented man and dare I say the biggest talent to come out of Wales since Iwan Roberts. :D I was not a major fan of this when it came out and have snubbed the opportunity to purchase this on vinyl. Again contrast is very hit and miss for me. He will make tunes that are amazing and then come out with something which leaves me questioning wether it’s the same guy. Personally medeoka for me but I know this has a huge following but I don’t see the major appeal. Lovely pianos, vocals and strings and the production is superb but just find after the drop it is a little cheesy.

7/10 Yes Yes now where talking. Banging intro reminds me of the film Mars attacks. I do enjoy this stuff especially when drunk, perfect for in the club and I certainly would be jacking to this. Really nice break down and loving the eary synth. Overall perfect club tune and will listen to some more stuff from them.

9/10 Another one of those artists ive come across but never had a listen and now im punching myself as this is quality. Has everything. Some nice sampling techniques, keeps the listener interested and perfect late night listening. Lovely :)

9/10 Is this the same koop which does waltz for koop? The scandanvian outfit? If so legends. This tune is beautiful and I love this sort of laid back jazzy moody soul. I find there is a time and place for this music but when in the mood its takes you to another place. That trumpet is making me orgasm. Nice tune overall and a big sucka for this style.

11. Aim – Sail

5/10 Nice mellow beat but a bit disjointed for me. For some reason something doesn’t sit properly for me. I think it’s the vocal. Not really doing it for me and reminds me of celine dion for some peculiur reason.

Overall nice mix and very laid back. Like I said earlier you would make a perfect compilation for the potheads. Lovely vibes a bit of everything and the music did the talking so no brown nosing was needed. :D

8/10

Cheers Jehst. Went for a more laidback mix partly because my last mix was pretty heavy full on dubstep, breaks, dnb, IDM etc... Tried to gradually build it up though peaking at The Subs tune and then easing off again, quite liked that effect.

Can't really answer your questions about the bassline on the Distance track or about Koop! Funnily enough that Koop track was found on a "branding" album for BVLGARI (the Italian luxury goods company) done by Yan Sasquet - bit obscure but I think that tune is brilliant.

As for the dnb it's hard to select the tracks you really want to when most of it is in the middle of DJ mixes and stuff like that, just wanted to get a contrast of styles with a deep tune (probably my favourite off their new album) and a more clubby one.

Finally I must say I didn't think it was possible for people not to love DJ Krush (who I worship) or Aim (Kate Rogers, not Celine fucking Dion!).

Can't really answer your questions about the bassline on the Distance track or about Koop! Funnily enough that Koop track was found on a "branding" album for BVLGARI (the Italian luxury goods company) done by Yan Sasquet - bit obscure but I think that tune is brilliant.

I had another listen to that distance track and I remember what it reminds me of. They are pretty similar bar the vocals.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

As for koop im pretty sure its the same band. This is one of there more popular tunes. Lush. Cheers for putting that in the mix it has reminded me to get some of there stuff as I actually don't own anything by them but have been meaning to for a while.

Sorry to hijack your thread. :D

Finally I must say I didn't think it was possible for people not to love DJ Krush (who I worship) or Aim (Kate Rogers, not Celine fucking Dion!).

:P

Smutsy's was listenable for a change lol I actually enjoyed that and knew a fair few of the songs already.

Well that's 2 reviews now i suppose.

Can't believe James' has been up about an hour and had more action than mine which has been up for over a week.

Well that's 2 reviews now i suppose.

Can't believe James' has been up about an hour and had more action than mine which has been up for over a week.

The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.

The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.

Must be due to lack of activity.

I'll re-up later.

This should be fairly simple as I own a fair few of these tracks already!! :D

I love the distance and time album and Fink has appeared a few times on previous mixes, I have his new album but haven't actually listened to it but this one is a quality tune.

DJ Krush... say no more when it comes to chilled out funky beats Krush really is the man so another winner!!

3. One Self - Bluebird

chilled out beats, a wiki wah type guitar thing going on another winner

4. DJ Vadim - Soldier

love the beats love the vocals at the start bit of a reggae style opening with a bit of dub involved it's a nice tune, but haven't got a clue what he is going on about so minus one point for not being in English (that isn't racist is it? :D )

5. Distance - Headstrung

No not getting it at all

a new one on me and I like it!!

This song is an absolute monster!! I take it you have the High Contrast Confidential CD? some amazing remixes and this song is just brilliant!!

not really my sort of thing

some Ninja Tunes stuff you can't beat a beat of Amon Tobin

another new one I like it!!

11. Aim - Sail

I love Aim, I love Grand Central records they released some brilliant brilliant compilation cds and are criminally overlooked

Haha. I was almost convinced you would have heard all of the tunes before so to see you enjoy some new stuff is very satisfying!

Fink is brilliant. I stumbled on him on eMusic and then later on noticed that you'd put a couple of tracks on your previous mixes. Really great album. Lynx & Kemo album is called The Raw Truth, most of it is similar to that track - deep, gritty but kind of soulful, well produced dnb. Check it out.

Cheers for the review.

This has got a bit of Ninja on I see, so I'll be downloading this and listening in the car next week. Ta.

Yeah man - Fink, Amon Tobin and One Self all on Ninja. Some of the rest is of a similar nature as well, reckon you'll enjoy it. Let me know what you think.

Nice track, inoffensive and all that. To criticise I'd perhaps say it's a little bit repetetive, but that's nit-picking really.

I really don't like the vocals in this track, sorry! Wouldn't really be something I'd choose to listen too again, just a bit too chilled and laid back for me.

3. One Self - Bluebird

Yeah I prefer this one a bit more, nicer more upbeat feel to it than the previous couple of tracks. Like the funky beat it's got going throughout, very smooth.

4. DJ Vadim - Soldier

If only my speakers were better and I could turn the bass up on this one. Loved it when it got going at 00:45 and the bass kicked in properly. I don't normally listen to any kind of reggae music so this more unconventional variation of it was quite refreshing actually.

5. Distance - Headstrung

I like the dirty riff, but that's about it for this track. It's not totally unlistenable by any means, but I just think it fails to get going. Just didn't do much for me in my current music mood, maybe I'll come back to it at some point.

Favourite track of the mix so far, I was waiting for something like this to come along soon. I should really expand my very limited drum and bass music collection, so there's a decent chance I'll have a bit more of a look into these. While I'm on it, the dubstep scene seems to be well in motion these days. Where the hell do I start with it?!

The only track I'd already got off this mix, which is one more than I originally thought I'd have. I love this remix, it's brilliant. I see Jay mentions that there's an entire album of High Contrast remixes, which sounds right up my street. My mates were a bit mixed when I played them this, but given their music taste I took it with a pinch of salt...

Leads on perfectly from the High Contrast track. I really enjoyed this one too, just the kind of thing I'm listening to myself at the moment.

Listening back to parts of it the track doesn't actually sound bad at all, but I just forgot I was listening to it at the time. I have no idea why but it sounds just the kind of thing that would appear on a James Bond film (although slightly toned down I should add).

Like the last track, I sort of forgot that I was listening to it. It's not even that bad, just didn't keep my attention unfortunately. I can imagine it to be the sort of thing that I'd enjoy watching live with a band playing it and such, but on record it just doesn't do much for me.

11. Aim - Sail

Again, I'd probably admit that this one's a little bit too chilled for me. I don't mind these kind of tracks to listen to in bed every now and again, but I much prefer listening to more upbeat stuff in general.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I was really hoping for an education in the art of drum and bass along with some dubstep from this mix, so I'll admit I was a little disappointed that there was only two or three tracks that fitted this genre. I can understand that you wanted to try something different this time around though, which is fair enough.

Really enjoyed the DJ Vadim and Lynx & Kemo tracks, as well as the High Contrast remix I already owned. Going to try and hunt out that album that Jay was on about now and get right on it. Cheers James.

Cheers Jehst. Went for a more laidback mix partly because my last mix was pretty heavy full on dubstep, breaks, dnb, IDM etc... Tried to gradually build it up though peaking at The Subs tune and then easing off again, quite liked that effect.

As for the dnb it's hard to select the tracks you really want to when most of it is in the middle of DJ mixes and stuff like that, just wanted to get a contrast of styles with a deep tune (probably my favourite off their new album) and a more clubby one.

aww, you were thinking of me when you made it, really, that's what it is :blush:

have downloaded this, and even more interested having read Jehst's comments, will try to get down to it tomorrow...

Really enjoyed the DJ Vadim and Lynx & Kemo tracks, as well as the High Contrast remix I already owned. Going to try and hunt out that album that Jay was on about now and get right on it. Cheers James.

Cheers for the review mate. More than happy to re upload an earlier mix for you which had a lot more dubstep, breaks, IDM and drum n bass. Might be more up your street and I still have it as a playlist so minimum fuss.

As far as decent dnb goes try the Hospital Records podcasts - really good and you'll get to know the right names and tracks pretty quickly. You'll love the High Contrast remix album, also try the new Danny Byrd mix on iTunes and Sick Music, a compilation of the latest tunes on Hospital. Otherwise there's also the likes of Marcus Intalex, Commix and Bukem who all did great FabricLive mixes recently.

For dubstep and other VERY interesting electronic music get on Planet Mu Records. Some of the most interesting, crazy, fresh, innovative electronic music I've heard.

Cheers for the review mate. More than happy to re upload an earlier mix for you which had a lot more dubstep, breaks, IDM and drum n bass. Might be more up your street and I still have it as a playlist so minimum fuss.

As far as decent dnb goes try the Hospital Records podcasts - really good and you'll get to know the right names and tracks pretty quickly. You'll love the High Contrast remix album, also try the new Danny Byrd mix on iTunes and Sick Music, a compilation of the latest tunes on Hospital. Otherwise there's also the likes of Marcus Intalex, Commix and Bukem who all did great FabricLive mixes recently.

For dubstep and other VERY interesting electronic music get on Planet Mu Records. Some of the most interesting, crazy, fresh, innovative electronic music I've heard.

Thanks a lot. I'll get onto that podcast first of all, I only know of London Elektricity from Hospital Records so far.

Btw James did you get my message with the link?

Yes I did mate, nice one. Will get it downloaded and have a listen.

Thanks a lot. I'll get onto that podcast first of all, I only know of London Elektricity from Hospital Records so far.

It's probably the most accessible label in terms of decent quality drum n bass. I'm sure Jehst will have some recommendations as well but they're a great place to start, especially with a free podcast.

Yes I did mate, nice one. Will get it downloaded and have a listen.

:)

It's probably the most accessible label in terms of decent quality drum n bass. I'm sure Jehst will have some recommendations as well but they're a great place to start, especially with a free podcast.

Definitely a great place to start.

Joe depends what sort of style you like really then I can help point you in the right direction. Do you like it chilled, dark, soulful, cheesy etc ?

The great thing with hospital is they cover most styles and do it well. Like James said one of the better labels in the scene.

Joe depends what sort of style you like really then I can help point you in the right direction. Do you like it chilled, dark, soulful, cheesy etc ?

The great thing with hospital is they cover most styles and do it well. Like James said one of the better labels in the scene.

Not so much a fan of the more chilled out stuff to be honest. Much prefer the heavier and faster kind of thing, I'm sure there's enough of it knocking around.

Just listened to this week's podcast and they had a 15-20 minute set from Bop. Along with possibly the worst, most awkward interview I've ever heard. lol

Not so much a fan of the more chilled out stuff to be honest. Much prefer the heavier and faster kind of thing, I'm sure there's enough of it knocking around.

Just listened to this week's podcast and they had a 15-20 minute set from Bop. Along with possibly the worst, most awkward interview I've ever heard. lol

I still haven't listened to that episode. To be fair im not really into that style which Bop makes. I don't really class it as dnb. I think they call it microfunk or something along those lines.

Il compile a list of recommendations if you want at some point. :thumbup:

I still haven't listened to that episode. To be fair im not really into that style which Bop makes. I don't really class it as dnb. I think they call it microfunk or something along those lines.

Il compile a list of recommendations if you want at some point. :thumbup:

Yeah sure that'd be good mate, cheers.

• 2 months later...

Archived