Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Knighton Matt

something i've never understood

didn't really know which forum to put this in so feel free to move it...

basically i was thinking (yeah yeah i know dangerous move matt! :rolleyes: ) that when players change clubs quite often the agent will pick up a percentage of the fee, which will be paid by the buying club.

however if you look at most areas of life, agents looking after their client's interests (e.g. accountants, lawyers etc) are remunerated by the client. however in football this is not the case as the agent is remunerated by the buying club. why on earth is this? surely the agent should be paid by the footballer for helping to arrange the transfer, negotiation of wages etc. it baffles me that agents are getting such huge amounts of money in high profile transfer deals when really the player should be paying the agent a modest fee for looking after his best interests? why do clubs do shell out all this money to agents as the agent is not really adding value to the football club as a business apart from maybe 'letting' the club start negotiations in the first place (which surely the club could do by just speaking directly to the player)?

anyway hope this makes sense?! what does everyone else think??

basically i was thinking (yeah yeah i know dangerous move matt! :rolleyes: ) that when players change clubs quite often the agent will pick up a percentage of the fee, which will be paid by the buying club.

however if you look at most areas of life, agents looking after their client's interests (e.g. accountants, lawyers etc) are remunerated by the client. however in football this is not the case as the agent is remunerated by the buying club. why on earth is this? surely the agent should be paid by the footballer for helping to arrange the transfer, negotiation of wages etc. it baffles me that agents are getting such huge amounts of money in high profile transfer deals when really the player should be paying the agent a modest fee for looking after his best interests? why do clubs do shell out all this money to agents as the agent is not really adding value to the football club as a business apart from maybe 'letting' the club start negotiations in the first place (which surely the club could do by just speaking directly to the player)?

105785[/snapback]

Yes

105785[/snapback]

Possibly.

:ph34r:

Straight over my head!!  Money grabbing idiots to be honest!!

Agents%2520trailer%2520copy.jpg

105790[/snapback]

arrrghh, you ruined the ambiguous answer train...

105797[/snapback]

:laugh: couldn't tell if everyone was deliberately giving one word answers or the thread had just generally gone down as well as a fart in a lift...

I'm absolutely certain the players DO pay their agents. Agents do more than just arrange transfers (where they may get paid by both the buying club, and the selling club, if the selling club wanted to initiate the transfer for whatever reason but didn't have the means to do so).

Agents arrange for players' accomodation when players move (for top clubs), they can arrange sponsorship with sports manufacturers (boot deals etc) and also have an important commercial role, especially for the top players. Eg I'm sure Beckham's agent(s) have negotiated his deals with Brylcreem, Gucci etc and Henry/Ferdinand's deals with Nike.

It really doesn't matter whether the player or the buying clubs 'passes' money to the agent it will still be the buying club coughing up the dosh as the player would just ask for the extra to then pass to his/her agent.

It's the club that is buying the asset (the player) to use in it's business of being a football club. It's not so odd really. The agent is paid for the service of bringing the asset to the client, conducting negociations etc.

I'm guessing that the agent is technically paid by the player but the dosh will probably be netted off from his signing-on fee. However, it's physically paid by the club.

I may be totally wrong about this! :S

How that's all accounted for in the books is another matter entirely.

Archived