Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

Some questions to those that were at the game:

After 8 pages of drivel on the post match thread could someone who was at the game answer these questions for me please, thank you:

1. How did Knocky and Futacs play? Are either looking ready and good enough to start on Saturday?

2. Did we change the formation/style for Futacs, i.e. revert to long ball?

3. Same for Whitbread really, does he look fit, and is he going to solve our defensive problems (doesn't seem likely, but I would be interested to know)?

4. Did any of the fringe players look like they will ever wear the shirt again?

5. Any positives to take from the game?

6. Were Burton actually any good, or were we awful?

7. Was the ref that bad?

1. Knockaert was exceptional, I'm genuinely concerned that Pearson is putting too much faith in "favourites" if the lad doesn't get a start. I think he's been consistently creative in the games so far and this was the icing on the cake. Showed maturity, guile, great technique striking a ball and simply made chances.

The flip side of the coin, however, was Futacs who was dreadful. The touch of a sex pest, had an awful day in the air and scuffed his only other real effort. I'm not the sort to write him off after one performance but it was pretty dire as a debut.

2. Yeah, he was brought on as a plan B and that's what we did - lump it to him. Which, incidentally, was completely ineffective and took us three steps backwards.

3. First half I was really impressed. He passes the ball out from defence, he always seemed to be in the right place, Burton offered absolutely nothing going at him but he handled it all. Second half was like a different player, he was dreadful. Their second goal was just an embarrassment to our back four.

4. That was the worst bit for me, this should have been an opportunity for them to fight for a place - they should have been so motivated. Only Knockaert looked particularly up for it, maybe De Laet as well though I wouldn't call him fringe. Waghorn offered nothing, Schlupp looked energetic but raw and could well do with a loan spell away. Danns, who I like normally, had an absolute mare and Gallagher just cemented most people's opinions that he needs to depart. Quickly.

5. Knockaert. I've not read this thread entirely so I don't know if the likes of Thracian are still trying to insist he isn't ready for English football, etc, but he was brilliant. Yes, it's only Burton, but I think he's been our most dangerous player for most of the season so far and he was at it again. He gets everywhere, he's incredibly fit, he gives 100% tracking back to defend, puts in a great ball, has decent set pieces and his movement off the ball is superb.

6. We were shocking and the scary part is that that's probably 3/4 of the defence Pearson sees as first choice. They had less than four tidy chances and scored four goals. The fourth was absolutely stunning but the free kick was just jammy, the second was a defensive shambles than their own real clear-cut chance of the game and then you've got the penalty. Credit where it's due, I'm not suggesting they didn't deserve to win, but it was the most one-sided game we'll ever be hammered in. We were shit but they were distinctly League Two.

7. No. I didn't see penalty to be honest so that might have been an awful call but I felt it was just sour grapes from the people around me complaining about him. Thought he was okay, over-ruled the linesman correctly a few times, tried to let the game flow, kept his cards in his pocket. We lost because we were ****ing awful not because of the ref.

Things didnt go our way all night, but we showed no real capacity to change things and make things happen for us, too many were lacking an real energy and our passing was very poor all night. Futac is going to need crosses in to the box to use his physical attributes, just humping up to him offered little threat and he ain't quick enough to make much of this type of ball. Knocky did look better tha the others but that's a poor benchmark to be fair.

The fear of failure is what drives sportsmen. that is NP's job.

Fear of failure is very inhibiting and if a sportsman ever gets to the stage where fear of failure takes over, they're in big trouble. Will to win and desire to be successful should be what drives sportsmen, if they haven't got that, they should quit professional sport as they'll never get anywhere. The only fear that Pearson should instil in the players is fear of losing their place and fear of his wrath for any lack of discipline

Archived