Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
loAf

A strange symmetry - History repeats itself...

Obviously we all hurt quite a bit after yesterday, but on my way to work this morning it struck me that I seem to have been through this a fair bit before. Almost like dejavu. I remember being a kid and watching us lose out in the playoffs twice in a row to dodgy penalties (to Blackburn and then Swindon), before striking lucky on our third attempt. Sound familiar? Against cardiff, missed out on final through dodgy penalty (*insert he was decent joke for old times sake*) then another dodgy penalty from Knocky (as far as im concerned if you are going down the middle you have to hit it hard and elevated, not a daisy cutter as feet will always be nearby). Could it just be us running our same old cycle? Could it be that it is our destiny to go up next year on our third PO attempt of recent memory?

I may be clutching at straws, but it does all feel a bit familiar. Anyway, my main concern is keeping our best players this summer, and strengthening our weaker areas. As long as we can keep our backbone (Kasper, Morgan, James etc) I really do fancy our chances next year. Personally I hope we keep NFP as I really dont want to get back into that cycle of constant upheaval. But there are plenty of other threads for that conversation. What do you recon? Am I clutching at straws here? Is history going to repeat its self?

loAf

I personally dont believe in cycles, destiny and fate etc.  Everything happens by chance and has no influence from what has gone on before.

I do however believe in continuity and building on your current position.  I use Cardiff as an example.  They've built steadily over recent years and have been knocking on the door of the Premiership for some time.  It was only a matter of time before they made the step up as they've proven this year.  Their progression is the benchmark to follow.

I personally dont believe in cycles, destiny and fate etc. Everything happens by chance and has no influence from what has gone on before.

I do however believe in continuity and building on your current position. I use Cardiff as an example. They've built steadily over recent years and have been knocking on the door of the Premiership for some time. It was only a matter of time before they made the step up as they've proven this year. Their progression is the benchmark to follow.

Maybe you should read up on "The Chaos Theory" and you will find there is order to everything

Definitely clutching at straws. The link you are making is very weak.

if it was 2011 and they had got through on a dodgy penalty I'd see what you were getting at.

I wouldn't say I believe in destiny either, though things like yesterday make you think. It still doesn't seem real that something so ridiculous could happen.

You get to the point where you and perhaps the players think "It can't happen again", like the Derby play off final even with their big spending and our injuries you just felt that losing a third final was not an option. Having said that I remember Preston having several cracks at it and until this season Cardiff had several setbacks, but yeah the cycle of three has a familiality to it.

If it wasn't for that dreadful run we were / are in I'd be hopeful but what momentum are we carrying right now, that of Forest Away and the first leg or that of the last 20 games?

Maybe you should read up on "The Chaos Theory" and you will find there is order to everything

Doesnt the Chaos Theory discuss the 'butterfly effect' where one slight change in history can lead to a massively different outcome in the long term?

Regardless, what Cardiff did 2-3 years ago has little bearing on what Leicester do now.  The only things that can be learnt is progression and continuity much like they did.  Stick with NP, tweak the squad bringing in the odd few players and getting rid of the deadwood.

The last thing we need is a huge overhaul with mass signings like we had when Sven first came in.

Archived