Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Strike threat

Fans get frustrated, I have been frustrated at times this pre-season when we were missing out on signings, but then eventually CL does make some signings and the frustration is forgotten especially as all the signings he's made have looked the part.

This is why we are fans and not directly involved with professional football, if we were then managers wouldn't stand a ****in chance. Things take time, I know Levein has had 3 months to find a striker but he has missed out on McSheffrey, Lovell and a well known Jamaican striker so he has identified relatively good strikers and tried his best to sign them. He will get us another striker and going on his track record of signings they will be good and if Connolly gets injured or de Vries plays wank then they will come in and keep us on track.

If Levein had a bad track record of signings I could understand people's anger, but i've not seen a manager have a success rate of signings as Levein has had so far and long may that continue.

150212[/snapback]

You always talk some sense and I've loads of time for your opinion so perhaps you'll tell me why MDV's place in the team is written in granite?

I'm not dismissing the notion that he may have an improved season if he stays fit and well but the statistics don't suggest it so far and I don't think I'd ever be telling a prospective new striker that he'll struggle to be first choice.

In fact I don't think I'd ever consider signing a new striker whose record suggested he'd net fewer times than MDV.

Besides, the team will need four strikers because without question, Dublin will only be able to play part time and it will be wise to allow for injuries to any of the front men.

You are right Levein seems to have a nack of signing good players but, Sylla apart, and allowing a "not sure" rating for MDV they are all defensive players. Our glaring weakness last season was not scoring enough so he's had seven months to sort it out without any notable success that I can see apart from Sylla who is not a goalscorer.

Does Levein have less clout with strikers? Does he find it hard to pander to the ego's that sit alongside their wage demands or can he honestly find no-one as good or better than what we have for the money.

If so, you're back to Ashley Chambers, 15 years old or not and I hope the kid gets himself well prepared to take his chance. If he does it might all turn out a blessing in disguise.

You always talk some sense and I've loads of time for your opinion so perhaps you'll tell me why MDV's place in the team is written in granite?

I'm not dismissing the notion that he may have an improved season if he stays fit and well but the statistics don't suggest it so far and I don't think I'd ever be telling a prospective new striker that he'll struggle to be first choice.

In fact I don't think I'd ever consider signing a new striker whose record suggested he'd net fewer times than MDV.

Besides, the team will need four strikers because without question, Dublin will only be able to play part time and it will be wise to allow for injuries to any of the front men.

You are right Levein seems to have a nack of signing good players but, Sylla apart, and allowing a "not sure" rating for MDV they are all defensive players. Our glaring weakness last season was not scoring enough so he's had seven months to sort it out without any notable success that I can see apart from Sylla who is not a goalscorer.

Does Levein have less clout with strikers? Does he find it hard to pander to the ego's that sit alongside their wage demands or can he honestly find no-one as good or better than what we have for the money.

If so, you're back to Ashley Chambers, 15 years old or not and I hope the kid gets himself well prepared to take his chance. If he does it might all turn out a blessing in disguise.

150243[/snapback]

I don't think MDV's place in the team is written in granite, but he is definately been identified as a first choice striker. That can easily change though, just look at the changes this team went through last season in every position.

Levein isn't a soft touch, if de Vries plays as badly as he did last season then Craig will have no choice but to drop him and he will do. I think what every one is concerned with is that Levein has said 'de Vries and Connolly are first choice and we'll sign a striker as back-up' he hasn't said this about alot of the other signings for positions and we've accepted that. What is essential is that Craig signs a striker that will do the business, whether he's 1st choice, 3rd choice or whatever. Levein can say what he wants, but he know's and so do the fans that de Vries is on borrowed time like all footballers are and this back-up striker will need to have the quality to improve our team and they will do. Levein doesn't do short term signings, if anything this striker will be a young up and coming player who will challenge the first choice strikers, just as McCarthy, Gilbert and Gerrbrand have or will be doing in their designated positions.

The one thing that does concern me and it will be my only gripe with Levein is that he naturally is a defensive manager. I'm sure he'll make us very successful, but I don't think we'll ever see him having an abundance of strikers at the club like Adams did. You only have to see that he's shipped out about 4 strikers since he's been here and is looking to get rid of Wright aswell with only 1 signed another potentially another. Although to many fans that sounds like a problem, I will say that Leicester look more threatening going forward than we did under Adams and we will score goals. We just won't be signings strikers left, right and centre.

I don't think MDV's place in the team is written in granite, but he is definately been identified as a first choice striker. That can easily change though, just look at the changes this team went through last season in every position.

Levein isn't a soft touch, if de Vries plays as badly as he did last season then Craig will have no choice but to drop him and he will do. I think what every one is concerned with is that Levein has said 'de Vries and Connolly are first choice and we'll sign a striker as back-up' he hasn't said this about alot of the other signings for positions and we've accepted that. What is essential is that Craig signs a striker that will do the business, whether he's 1st choice, 3rd choice or whatever. Levein can say what he wants, but he know's and so do the fans that de Vries is on borrowed time like all footballers are and this back-up striker will need to have the quality to improve our team and they will do. Levein doesn't do short term signings, if anything this striker will be a young up and coming player who will challenge the first choice strikers, just as McCarthy, Gilbert and Gerrbrand have or will be doing in their designated positions.

The one thing that does concern me and it will be my only gripe with Levein is that he naturally is a defensive manager. I'm sure he'll make us very successful, but I don't think we'll ever see him having an abundance of strikers at the club like Adams did. You only have to see that he's shipped out about 4 strikers since he's been here and is looking to get rid of Wright aswell with only 1 signed another potentially another. Although to many fans that sounds like a problem, I will say that Leicester look more threatening going forward than we did under Adams and we will score goals. We just won't be signings strikers left, right and centre.

150260[/snapback]

Well he's kept his word and signed a striker before the start of the season. He seems to score at reserve level and not at first team level so it might just be that our fans need to give him lots of support and encouragement. Confidence can be a big thing for a striker.

Archived