Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Strike threat

Craig Levein is quoted today as saying he won't be rushed into buying a striker before the season starts.

"Won't be rushed?". How long does he need to get the sort of striker he wants?. He has been at the club over six months now and must always have known he needed a striker.

I was saying in on Leicester City threads last October and I wasn't alone and the message has been loud and clear from umpteen posters ever since and throughout the close season.

You'd expect even an ex-centre-half to know that strikers are a "must have" at football clubs and the statistics tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing else but the fact that we've only got one.

Is the club's ambition really just to grind out 1-0's or is there some purpose in calling Leicester a "Football Club". The problem with 1-0't, like last season, is that the opposition have a nasty habit of scoring the one.

Personally I prefer 5-2's and 4-1's and when you look a bums on seats you will soon determine that the fans do as well.

What was our average attendance for the first month of last season and the last? I ask because I really believe our policies are costing us lost ticket sales.

Our season depends on us getting this sorted - and no, we don't want a makeweight..

Craig Levein is quoted today as saying he won't be rushed into buying a striker before the season starts.

"Won't be rushed?". How long does he need to get the sort of striker he wants?. He has been at the club over six months now and must always have known he needed a striker.

I was saying in on Leicester City threads last October and I wasn't alone and the message has been loud and clear from umpteen posters ever since and throughout the close season.

You'd expect even an ex-centre-half to know that strikers are a "must have" at football clubs and the statistics tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing else but the fact that we've only got one.

Is the club's ambition really just to grind out 1-0's or is there some purpose in calling Leicester a "Football Club". The problem with 1-0't, like last season, is that the opposition have a nasty habit of scoring the one.

Personally I prefer 5-2's and 4-1's and when you look a bums on seats you will soon determine that the fans do as well.

What was our average attendance for the first month of last season and the last? I ask because I really believe our policies are costing us lost ticket sales.

Our season depends on us getting this sorted - and no, we don't want a makeweight..

149662[/snapback]

Where you posting on here then ? :unsure::huh:

Would you rather he did what Micky Adams did and panick buy on the eve of the season!?!? Two words sum up panick actions...

Nathan Blake!

The transfer market is a strange thing, and I'm sure that if Levein had the resources he wanted this wouldn't be an issue! It takes time to find the right person for the job, and I for one think that time should be afforded to the manager. Connolly can score goals, and I'm confident that DeVries can supply chances to score. Why not just support the manager instead of moaning about things. I know it isn't ideal but I am glad that Levein is willing to take his time.

Please try and have a bit of vision! ;)

149662[/snapback]

:D

...but i feel your being a little over sensitive. i prefer 10-NILS ;)

i think the club make it their jobs worth to know what puts bums on seats, and it aint with a shitty (can i say that here) defence.

wigan got automatic promotion with a fiercely tight defence, and although i`d prefer 3-2 to 1-0, our emidiate aim is promotion.

chill dude :cool::ermm::D

Believe me I want Levein to do well. Being a Scottish Foxes fan especially. My mates are just waiting for Levein and his other SPL gang to fail so they can sl@g him, me, Scotland, SPL etc etc. He'll get the striker we need, patience yound padawans. Fear is the path to the darkside.

Would you rather he did what Micky Adams did and panick buy on the eve of the season!?!?  Two words sum up panick actions...

Nathan Blake!

The transfer market is a strange thing, and I'm sure that if Levein had the resources he wanted this wouldn't be an issue!  It takes time to find the right person for the job, and I for one think that time should be afforded to the manager.  Connolly can score goals, and I'm confident that DeVries can supply chances to score.  Why not just support the manager instead of moaning about things.  I know it isn't ideal but I am glad that Levein is willing to take his time.

Please try and have a bit of vision! ;)

149705[/snapback]

How long would you take to get a centre-forward then? My vision is that, if Connolly gets injured, we are up serious Shit Creek.

:D

...but i feel your being a little over sensitive. i prefer 10-NILS ;)

i think the club make it their jobs worth to know what puts bums on seats, and it aint with a shitty (can i say that here) defence.

wigan got automatic promotion with a fiercely tight defence, and although i`d prefer 3-2 to 1-0, our emidiate aim is promotion.

chill dude :cool:  :ermm:  :D

149710[/snapback]

How many nil goals against has CL presided over for City so far? Surely a complete close season is enough to get a striker.

Hi there,

I've only found this forum in the last few weeks and have yet to post anything but feel as though this is as good a time as any!!

Before going any further I believe we do need another striker and soon, yet don't think panic buying is the answer. The back end of last seaon IMO showed a definite turn around in our performances - we were defending better and creating more chances, hence DC showing his class and scoring something like 7 in 9 albeit with several penalties (I know some one out there will correct me on this!).

It's been a mixed close season I agree but CL has made some good signings for the club and I believe any re-building had to begin at the back.

Like any of us, I'm concerned about MDV, however hope that the isolated good performances can be a lot more regular this season - with some confidence and a few goals behind him I think (maybe that should read hope again) he'll develop quite nicely along with the striking partnership.

Something no-one really seems to of mentioned recently is goals from midfielders. I'm confident that Hughes and Sylla can weigh in with some goals as well as Wilcox, you never know maybe even Williams will develop a lacking sense of urgency and score a few.

Given a few injuries we will be struglling strike force wise - Dion will do his best but after that we'll be looking at O'grady, Sylla and maybe even Hughes filling in but given time I'm confident CL will manage to find the kind of striker he is looking for at a price the club can afford now and for the future.

So let's all stop panicking and really support the team and the manager through this season and be the 12th player that so often we're not.

Believe me I want Levein to do well. Being a Scottish Foxes fan especially. My mates are just waiting for Levein and his other SPL gang to fail so they can sl@g him, me, Scotland, SPL etc etc. He'll get the striker we need, patience yound padawans. Fear is the path to the darkside.

149716[/snapback]

SECONDED, hes not made ONE cock-up yet, lets give him our SUPPORT FFS!!!

How long would you take to get a centre-forward then? My vision is that, if Connolly gets injured, we are up serious Shit Creek.

149844[/snapback]

Ok, thats a fair point Thracian.

What i saw at oxford was dubs and deep freeze starting with ogrady and `ooh` tommy wright coming on when they get tierd.

Ashley chambers is getting there.

I'm confident that Hughes and Sylla can weigh in with some goals as well as Wilcox, you never know maybe even Williams will develop a lacking sense of urgency and score a few.

So let's all stop panicking and really support the team and the manager through this season and be the 12th player that so often we're not.

149866[/snapback]

Hi long time fox.

Yeah i mean wilcox scored 2 at oxfors (couldve had a easy hatrick) (is he striker bility? hmm)

I really honestly believe were on the verge of better things, if we dont all feel positive, we could rue what could be.

As Levein has admitted that de Vries and Connolly will be his first choice partnership upfront, I can understand his views on the situation.

SF pointed out the Micky Adams example of panic buying - i.e. Nathan Blake - We don't want another repeat of that. Let's give Levein time and patience in purchasing the right type of striker we need, who will add a new dimension upfront.

I admire the faith that Levein is showing in his first choice strikeforce of De Vries and Connolly (with Dublin as a backup if need be). However, from what I have seen and read on here, if De Vries doesn't improve from his performances last season, then I do genuinely think Levein's faith in him will wear the patience of the fans.

And if Connolly gets injured, then we are well and truly screwed. Pre season has shown that De Vries and Dublin will not get you many goals if they are playing together, so it would have been sensible to have brought somebody else in by now.

Having said that, I don't want Levein to buy the first person he sees. It has to be the right purchase and if that means having to put up with De Vries-Dublin for a while, then so be it. I just hope that Levein's patience doesn't backfire on him.

149662[/snapback]

August 2004 - 24,991

May 2005 - 26,593

;)

Although you probably meant April so...

April 2005 - 23,265

Although its hardly fair to compare the two as there were other circumstances last season that would have caused the difference, such as the fact that at the start of the season people thought we were going to be successful etc. and at the end of the season we were just playing out mostly meaningless games.

August 2004 - 24,991

May 2005 - 26,593

;)

Although you probably meant April so...

April 2005 - 23,265

Although its hardly fair to compare the two as there were other circumstances last season that would have caused the difference, such as the fact that at the start of the season people thought we were going to be successful etc. and at the end of the season we were just playing out mostly meaningless games.

150081[/snapback]

Thanks Louise. The point I'm making is that we're already operating 20-25% below capacity and the trend does not seem to be improving. More defenders won't improve the situation but more attackers might. Levein is not just responsible for results he has a share in responsibility for putting bums on seats.

Anybody knows that you build a team from the back, this is what he has done! He is happy with the defence now and i'm sure is 100% focussed on the goals issue. The problem is this, as far as he is concerned he has his 1st choice 2 which is DC & MDV. Strikers as when we were at school are glory hunters and so are not content with warming the bench! So I believe this is why CL is struggling to find someone. His opening lines to any possible striker at the moment are "I need some back up for my 1st choice strikers, fancy sitting on the bench for me?" As you can imagine, it must be a difficult task to find a proven striker who is happy to commit to this situation....

Plus, we've got no bloody cash!! lol

Fans get frustrated, I have been frustrated at times this pre-season when we were missing out on signings, but then eventually CL does make some signings and the frustration is forgotten especially as all the signings he's made have looked the part.

This is why we are fans and not directly involved with professional football, if we were then managers wouldn't stand a ****in chance. Things take time, I know Levein has had 3 months to find a striker but he has missed out on McSheffrey, Lovell and a well known Jamaican striker so he has identified relatively good strikers and tried his best to sign them. He will get us another striker and going on his track record of signings they will be good and if Connolly gets injured or de Vries plays wank then they will come in and keep us on track.

If Levein had a bad track record of signings I could understand people's anger, but i've not seen a manager have a success rate of signings as Levein has had so far and long may that continue.

Archived