Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sib Dogg

Assuming we play 4-2-3-1... The defence?

Hi all,

This is my first post on here... I am a 30 year old City fan who has been following the lads since 87/88 (this is my 24th season!)

Now that we are a 'footballing' side under Paulo, I assume the eventual plan is to play a 4-2-3-1 system. This is what the rest of Europe seems to be doing and is what he did at Swansea.

The key to this formation is to have your playmaker (who is irreplaceable) as part of the '2'. This is Richie Wellens in my opinion.

Under Pearson, we developed a squad that had 2 players in every position, half of whom were young (18 - 26), half of whom were old (27-36). This is a cracking system that we need to continue with I think. With this in mind I want to look at the '4-2' of the '4-2-3-1' system. This is how I see it...

GK Weale (old), Logan (young)

RB Morrison (young), Lamey (old)

CB Tunchev (old), Vitor (young)

CB Hobbs (young), ???

LB Berner (old), Kennedy (young)

DCM Moreno (old), ???

CM Wellens (old), (NO REPLACEMENT REQUIRED)

I believe that we therefore need to bring in an experienced centre back (in the Wayne Brown mould) and a young defensive central midfielder (probably a loan signing).

I strongly feel that Morrison is our first choice right back, he became an established Championship right back last season and has looked out of depth at centre back this season. I also see Moreno (awesome from what I saw on Sat) as the DCM, once Tunchev is fit. Some people will quote Oakley as back-up to Moreno, I disagree...

For me, Oakley is a nearly player. Not as good at passing the ball as Wellens. Not tough enough in a challenge to be a DCM (he did okay against Boro I accept, but they were here for a draw) and not got the legs to be an attacking midfielder anymore.

If Wellens was to get injured, we go to 4-4-2 as a back-up.

I'd love your thoughts on this as it has been on my mind all summer... Then we'll discuss the attacking 4 players!

dont we play 4-3-2-1 with wingers :ph34r: ?

GK) Weale

RB) Neilson / Lamey

CB) Moreno (must admit love to see him play DM role)

CB) Hobbs

LB) Berner

CM) King

CM) Oakley ©

CM) Wellens

RW) Campbell

LW) Dyer / Gallagher

ST) Howard / Fryatt

i think think this is a formation i would love to try out (maybe against Leeds in the cup?)

GK) Weale

RB) Lamey

CB) Vitor (if fit) or Morrison

CB) Tunchev (if fit) or Hobbs

LB) Berner

CDM) Moreno

CM) Wellens / Oakley

CM) King (maybe moussa ?)

CAM) Gallagher

ST) Campbell / Fryatt

ST) Howard / Crncic

would love to see that team preform

GK) Weale

RB) Neilson / Lamey

CB) Hobbs

LB) Berner

CM) King

CM) Oakley ©

CM) Wellens

RW) Campbell

LW) Dyer / Gallagher

ST) Howard / Fryatt

i think think this is a formation i would love to try out (maybe against Leeds in the cup?)

GK) Weale

RB) Lamey

LB) Berner

CDM) Moreno

CM) Wellens / Oakley

CAM) Gallagher

ST) Campbell / Fryatt

ST) Howard / Crncic

Tunchev really? :blink:

You can say Tunchev (if fit) closer to xmas, not now! :frusty:

GK) Weale

RB) Neilson / Lamey

CB) Hobbs

LB) Berner

CM) King

CM) Oakley ©

CM) Wellens

RW) Campbell

LW) Dyer / Gallagher

ST) Howard / Fryatt

GK) Weale

RB) Lamey

LB) Berner

CDM) Moreno

CM) Wellens / Oakley

CAM) Gallagher

ST) Campbell / Fryatt

ST) Howard / Crncic

It's 4-2-3-1 in my opinion, the creative midfielder sat deep alongside the holding midfielder.

Please don't mention the awful Robbie Neilson, poor signing. The guy was kept out of the Hearts side my Alan Maybury!!!

I'd hazard a guess that King is part of the attacking half, the attacking midfielder more than likely :thumbup:

Bang on, my friend! Quite obvious really!

I am a fan of the 4231 system. Its being used a lot in modern football as we saw in the World Cup. It gives licence to the fullbacks to push forward as we have cover from the two defensive midfield players. It allows the wing players to attack the fullbacks and cut in to score goals. Its the way forward.

It's 4-2-3-1 in my opinion, the creative midfielder sat deep alongside the holding midfielder.

Please don't mention the awful Robbie Neilson, poor signing. The guy was kept out of the Hearts side my Alan Maybury!!!

Welcome Sib Dogg, hope you enjoy posting!

You make a lot of sense, but I would reserve judgement on Neilson at the mo - he seems to be playing very well in the current set up - I've seen 'World Players of the Year' struggle at new clubs because they weren't used to the system - the reverse applies too.

I hope Robbie continues as he has this season, IMO he's played a blinder!

I am a fan of the 4231 system. Its being used a lot in modern football as we saw in the World Cup. It gives licence to the fullbacks to push forward as we have cover from the two defensive midfield players. It allows the wing players to attack the fullbacks and cut in to score goals. Its the way forward.

Despite being the current formation of choice, 4-2-3-1 has been around for a while, a very long while...:rolleyes:

It was the system of choice for the best team of all time, and they were at their peak this summer, just 40 years ago...:thumbup:

Félix, Carlos Alberto ©, Brito, Piazza, Antonio; Clodoaldo, Gérson; Jairzinho, Pele, Rivelino; Tostao. Mean anything to you?

Despite being the current formation of choice, 4-2-3-1 has been around for a while, a very long while...:rolleyes:

It was the system of choice for the best team of all time, and they were at their peak this summer, just 40 years ago...:thumbup:

Félix, Carlos Alberto ©, Brito, Piazza, Antonio; Clodoaldo, Gérson; Jairzinho, Pele, Rivelino; Tostao. Mean anything to you?

So whats your point? I was just saying I like those tactics I think they work and I think our players are good enough to adapt to the system. Im old enough to recognise the greatest team ever to have played the game. Brazil 1970. I don't need a lesson from you, jog on and pick on someone else who was born in the 80's or 90's and needs to be impressed with your knowledge of the game.

[/b]

So whats your point? I was just saying I like those tactics I think they work and I think our players are good enough to adapt to the system. Im old enough to recognise the greatest team ever to have played the game. Brazil 1970. I don't need a lesson from you, jog on and pick on someone else who was born in the 80's or 90's and needs to be impressed with your knowledge of the game.

The point is that 4-2-3-1 is not the new wonder system that many (not you obviously...:thumbup:) seem to think and like any system it must reflect the players available, without taking this into account a 4-2-3-1 is just a string of meaningless numbers.

The crux of that side was not Pele but the Clodoaldo / Gerson pairing in center midfield, they shielded the back 4 superbly allowing the fullbacks to get forward, Carlos Alberto in particular. In addition they could switch the play quickly from back to front finding Pele and the wide men before the defence was set, Tostao, a tiny player, led the line and was pivotal in setting up the play when the ball was played up to him, on the floor naturally.

Even more appropriate, the wide men were goalscorers, not traditional wingers, they drove into the box from wide positions probably more often than they crossed, pretty much the template for the next 40 years.

Ignoring the gulf in class, City have some of these qualities but fall down badly in others, where is the pace from fullback? the quick switching of play on the counter? and most importantly the center forward skilled in holding everything together?

Without attacking fullbacks playing two holding players is negative, look a Liverpool under Benitez, Oakley and in particularly Wellens move the ball far too slowly and Howard sets up nothing of consequence, the assist against Palace being the one exception in more than 2 years.

To play 4-2-3-1 we need to get Lamey and Kennedy into the side to provide the pace, lose Wellens and probably Oakley, find someone who can play in 'the hole' (Gallagher maybe?) and a center forward who can play the 'lone striker' role.

A big task, even for someone like Sousa who is prepared to make changes.

Ok, I'm off for a run...:thumbup:

I have to reiterrate what I said at the start of this thread...

Moreno is not a centre back, he's a classy defensive centre mid. Oakley is offering no help to the defence.

We desperately need Tunchev to get fit quick or sign an experienced centre back in the Brown mould.

Too much age at the back at the moment, Morrison should start at full back.

As I speak we have conceded 11 in 4 competetive games, shocking.

I have to reiterrate what I said at the start of this thread...

Moreno is not a centre back, he's a classy defensive centre mid. Oakley is offering no help to the defence.

We desperately need Tunchev to get fit quick or sign an experienced centre back in the Brown mould.

Too much age at the back at the moment, Morrison should start at full back.

As I speak we have conceded 11 in 4 competetive games, shocking.

where'd these 2 extra goals come from?

Archived