Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
norwichfox

Would a sin bin system be fairer?

@Col, that really depends if it was a justified red or not. You can't complain you lost your bet because a player was sent off for punching someone.

But it is an interesting point about how it affects betting and it is also an industry powerful enough to make a stand.

If Paddy Power recruited some ex referees to create a panel to assess games. There remit would be to decide whether referees have ruined a game. Paddy power or another betting company would then agree to cancel losing bets in games that have been ruined, giving their stake back as betting credit.

First of all they would always be on the ref's side as they will lose out if a game is classed as ruined, secondly it would put pressure on the FA and ref's association to do something about it.

One option is when a red card is issued the fourth official or a TV ref has 5 minutes to overturn or correct a decision. So it may turn out to be a 5 minute sin bin, while the game continues. If after 5 minutes the TV ref sees no reason to overturn the decision it stays as a red.

However it's looked at mate, what I'm saying is that funny refereeing decisions, spurred on by some bizarre FA rules, affects some people big time. And I mean big time. Clubs can get relegated, managers can lose their jobs. And big punters (I don't mean myself of course lol) can lose vast amounts of money on the back of a ridiculous sending off. Just look at Noble's dismissal over the weekend, which surely will be over-turned.

It's becoming such an issue that the only 'safe bet' going into the future will be betting on a sending - off in 50% of all Prem games! And I'm only partially joking!

It needs looking at..

I think we need more cards.

green for a final warning, blue for studs first, knives out but no malice intended and white for "look, i dont know what the fúck just happened but I have to give you something"

As a consequence of that, we'd also need to quadruple the amount of referees per game. You think it's hard to keep an overview now, wait until the FA introduces additional cards...

Also, I'd question the positive impact this would have on the flow of the game, it'd end in 90 minutes lasting a regular full game of baseball (or even longer than that).

The fact that a player can get away with a foul inside the first 10 minutes and 99% of the time not be booked but commit exactly the same foul later in the game and be booked is pathetic.

Players know the rules, if you dive in and make the referee make a decision, you only have yourself to blame.

Yes I think the laws are wrong (I love a good old fashioned slide tackle), but you cannot blame anyone else if you get booked or sent off for it.

Archived