Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burleyfox

Take me to our leader

Whilst I'm happy to give CL the time he needs (and deserves) to get his team and systems of play in place, I am concerned that we seem to lack any form of hard man leadership on the pitch. Where is our Walsh/Elliott to demand more effort from the troops?

I'm sure this is a better team than last year, but without drive, we going to end up as a bunch of pretty football prime donnas with no end result.

Whilst I'm happy to give CL the time he needs (and deserves) to get his team and systems of play in place, I am concerned that we seem to lack any form of hard man leadership on the pitch . Where is our Walsh/Elliott to demand more effort from the troops?

I'm sure this is a better team than last year, but without drive, we going to end up as a bunch of pretty football prime donnas with no end result.

Hmm doesn't Maybury usually shout at the team a lot? Spurs them on?

Although he doesn't seem to have been doing this a lot recently...

Dion seemed "directive" on Saturday... but probably not what you had in mind?

Yeah we need someone to stay at the club for a pretty long time for that though

Yup, and the rebiuld is continuing and its better with CL in place because he isnt just getting a one season squad like MA! I reckon, in a few years we will have that leader, not sure who it will be but we will become a stronger unit.

Just give it time, we are rebuilding at the moment and just have to be patient and try and get through this rough patch! Good things come to those who wait! :)

Whilst I'm happy to give CL the time he needs (and deserves) to get his team and systems of play in place, I am concerned that we seem to lack any form of hard man leadership on the pitch. Where is our Walsh/Elliott to demand more effort from the troops?

I think my missus summed it up when they were warming up before the game on Tuesday "they're all a bit wimpy looking ain't they" It was only after she said it that i realised she was right,we haven't got any muscle in Midfield

CL doesnt really like the idea of having one captain lifting everyone, he seems to think everyone should share the responsibility and lift each other when things are not right. He's chosen captains in the past, only because he has to, and because its easier for him to pick one that not. I dont think the 'captain' means much for him personally.

But posts are here correct IMO, we do need some steel within the team - we really do miss Walsh, Lennon, Savage etc in that respect

Yup, and the rebiuld is continuing and its better with CL in place because he isnt just getting a one season squad like MA! I reckon, in a few years we will have that leader, not sure who it will be but we will become a stronger unit.

Just give it time, we are rebuilding at the moment and just have to be patient and try and get through this rough patch! Good things come to those who wait! :)

I agree! Give Craig time.

We lack muscle and we also lack the disciplined, ruthless bite that Lennon provided in his prime. Granted bite is provided by Tiatto, McCarthy etc... but its not as effective when the result is endless free kicks in dangerous areas.

That's the problem with macho types. They always give away free kicks. Probably harks back to the "rattle em in the first 10 minutes" philosophy.

Now, however, the game has changed and that's why I much prefer the Alan Sheehan types. Just because he's sleek doesn't mean he gets pushed around, far from it. But he's quick. He thinks quick and he moves quick.

He remains calm and tidies things with the minimum of fuss and unnecessary elaboration. He never seems rushed which is the hallmark of a good player. In that way,and in his cultured distribution, he's just like Pontus Kaamark.

Still doesn't solve the problem of an organisational/inspirational type leader although, ignoring his age, I really thought Dion did that job and did it well against Sheffield Wednesday. Again, though, he did it calmly. Not by rushing round and clattering people.

There is only downsides to that approach nowadays.

We lack muscle and we also lack the disciplined, ruthless bite that Lennon provided in his prime. Granted bite is provided by Tiatto, McCarthy etc... but its not as effective when the result is endless free kicks in dangerous areas.

That's the problem with macho types. They always give away free kicks. Probably harks back to the "rattle em in the first 10 minutes" philosophy.

Strange, I had never thought of McCarthy as a macho type!!! Perhaps just a little bit "rash" (impulsive) at times...

Now, however, the game has changed and that's why I much prefer the Alan Sheehan types. Just because he's sleek doesn't mean he gets pushed around, far from it. But he's quick. He thinks quick and he moves quick.

He remains calm and tidies things with the minimum of fuss and unnecessary elaboration. He never seems rushed which is the hallmark of a good player. In that way,and in his cultured distribution, he's just like Pontus Kaamark.

Still doesn't solve the problem of an organisational/inspirational type leader although, ignoring his age, I really thought Dion did that job and did it well against Sheffield Wednesday. Again, though, he did it calmly. Not by rushing round and clattering people.

There is only downsides to that approach nowadays.

I can see the appeal of players endowed with the calm and collected approach you describe. I haven't actually noticed Sheehan being very quick, but I'll look out for that and will let you know.

If it were actually the case that players like him are just as (or more) effective while having none of the downsides (such as giving away free kicks), then this would certainly be something that no team can avoid to consider...

I can see the appeal of players endowed with the calm and collected approach you describe. I haven't actually noticed Sheehan being very quick, but I'll look out for that and will let you know.

If it were actually the case that players like him are just as (or more) effective while having none of the downsides (such as giving away free kicks), then this would certainly be something that no team can avoid to consider...

If you're serious look at him carefully next time and try to relate his approach to Denis Irwin or even, to a lesser extent Gary Neville,.

His attacking instincts are stifled just now but they are there. It is just the way he reads situations early and is so economical and controlled about the way he deals with them that presently impresses me so much.

He gets his head up early and always sees a pass if its on. He's balanced, he holds space well before timing his moment to challenge and he always tries to be constructive in his distribution.

Also he is forever aware of his position within the defensive unit thus retaining his discipline and refusing to be drawn out of the best strategic position.

All characteristic of Denis Irwin - together with their mutual inclination to take free kicks. Irwin was invariably unspectacularly effective during a period of unprecedented United success. It would sure be interesting to know if Sheehan has been influenced by his fellow Irishman.

Someone mentioned that I'd only seen him a few times and I accept that and therefore admit that I could be wrong.

But see what you think next time - watch him when he has and hasn't got the ball - and maybe, just maybe, the ridicule about Manchester United ever being interested in him will not seem so smugly justified.

If you're serious look at him carefully next time and try to relate his approach to Denis Irwin or even, to a lesser extent Gary Neville,.

His attacking instincts are stifled just now but they are there. It is just the way he reads situations early and is so economical and controlled about the way he deals with them that presently impresses me so much.

He gets his head up early and always sees a pass if its on. He's balanced, he holds space well before timing his moment to challenge and he always tries to be constructive in his distribution.

Also he is forever aware of his position within the defensive unit thus retaining his discipline and refusing to be drawn out of the best strategic position.

Ah, I see. I think I misunderstood you earlier on. I thought you meant fast-paced! :ph34r:

I will certainly have a closer look at all that during the next game I can attend. Cheers. :)

PS: Sorry don't recall Gary Neville's game much and even less Denis Irwin's! Not very popular or well-known where I come from :)

Archived