Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Civilization VI

Strongly considering lumping in on this while it's on offer to drum up interest in the upcoming expansion: Currently at £21 for the base game plus a load of dlc civs and scenarios on steam.  Or is it worth paying a further £14 to get Rise and Fall on top of that?

13 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Strongly considering lumping in on this while it's on offer to drum up interest in the upcoming expansion: Currently at £21 for the base game plus a load of dlc civs and scenarios on steam.  Or is it worth paying a further £14 to get Rise and Fall on top of that?

Rise and Fall adds quite a bit, plus Gathering Storm is out tomorrow. Makes it a bit lumpy (Gathering Storm is £35 on it's own)

I really like Civ 6 though. It took a while to get used to, but the districts system is a winner which means you have to plan more how you grow your cities.

I'm not a player who looks into every detail of the game and tries to win by Turn 20 (like some of the you tube vids) but rather I like to play it as a story of my little Civ. The new expansion adds natural disasters too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Rise and Fall adds quite a bit, plus Gathering Storm is out tomorrow. Makes it a bit lumpy (Gathering Storm is £35 on it's own)

I really like Civ 6 though. It took a while to get used to, but the districts system is a winner which means you have to plan more how you grow your cities.

I'm not a player who looks into every detail of the game and tries to win by Turn 20 (like some of the you tube vids) but rather I like to play it as a story of my little Civ. The new expansion adds natural disasters too.

I have no interest in dropping for an expansion the price of a full blown game, especially when I've not even tried the core experience yet, after all I recall a mixed response to the game at launch, but if those in the know think R&F adds significant playability then I may as well get it too while it's going for a more reasonable price. Can always get GS later down the line if my doubts prove unwarranted.

39 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I have no interest in dropping for an expansion the price of a full blown game, especially when I've not even tried the core experience yet, after all I recall a mixed response to the game at launch, but if those in the know think R&F adds significant playability then I may as well get it too while it's going for a more reasonable price. Can always get GS later down the line if my doubts prove unwarranted.

I'm trying to remember what R&F added. I think the main things were "Govenors" for your cities - a special person with various skill trees which you could move around to get certain benefits, and "Golden/Dark Ages" - every fifty turns or so you get one or the other depending on how you've done in the current "age". If money is an issue then I think the base game with the extra civs etc might be ideal to see if you like it.

I am sure I saw somewhere in the last week that Civ 6 would be free to play over this weekend on Steam. I'll see if I can find it

EDIT : looks like the free to play offer ends tomorrow - but might give you a chance to try before you buy tonight!

Edited by stripeyfox

On 13/02/2019 at 16:01, Carl the Llama said:

Then just get the basic. If you enjoy it get the addons.

Personally I think R&F added more enjoyment simply from the fact there is more choice. I like mega Civ sessions. Some people, like my son, didn't care much for CIV 6 but I think that's more to do with "change" things like the cartoony look. I think if you like CIV in general you'll like CIV6 and even more so the add-ons whether that takes a couple of play throughs or not is another question.  The beauty is that you can wait for the addon prices to drop with an eternal game.

On 12/02/2019 at 21:55, Carl the Llama said:

It may or may not affect your decision at the moment, but Gathering Storm expanion (currently £28 on GMG), also includes Rise and Fall

Edited by stripeyfox

44 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

It may or may not affect your decision at the moment, but Gathering Storm expanion (currently £28 on GMG), also includes Rise and Fall

Does it now?  I wonder if it's cheaper if you already have R&F then...

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Then just get the basic. If you enjoy it get the addons.

Personally I think R&F added more enjoyment simply from the fact there is more choice. I like mega Civ sessions. Some people, like my son, didn't care much for CIV 6 but I think that's more to do with "change" things like the cartoony look. I think if you like CIV in general you'll like CIV6 and even more so the add-ons whether that takes a couple of play throughs or not is another question.  The beauty is that you can wait for the addon prices to drop with an eternal game.

This is exactly my logic: Get it while it's cheap and enjoy what you have while waiting for a sale on the expansion. 

As it happens I've gone in on core+civs&scenarios+R&F so there's plenty of meat to sink my teeth into in the meantime. As expected yesterday was a complete write off :D

Now then, what's everyone's favourite character?  I've started a long game as the American Indian dude, poundland or something, because his strong recon units appeal to me, but not after sitting at the selection screen for hours umming and ahing over the decision.  Turned out pretty useful for warding the Aztecs away from a diamond vein in no man's land while I work out a way to get my settler past the hordes.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Now then, what's everyone's favourite character?  I've started a long game as the American Indian dude, poundland or something, because his strong recon units appeal to me, but not after sitting at the selection screen for hours umming and ahing over the decision.  Turned out pretty useful for warding the Aztecs away from a diamond vein in no man's land while I work out a way to get my settler past the hordes.

I quite like playing as England. I tried Eleanor of Aquitaine last night. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes to me, as I don't really play an aggressive style, more just I get the enjoyment from building my empire and science output. Don't tend to start wars unless attacked first (although there are exceptions)