Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Civilization VI

Thought I'd start a new thread for this.

Civ VI is out this coming Friday - really like the look of it, especially the new "districts" system which puts a bit more strategy into the city building rather than just spamming buildings.

Just not sure if my laptop will be able to handle it - may be time for an upgrade!

8 minutes ago, DB11 said:

What's it like compared to Cities Skyline?

Totally different. Civ is turn based strategy. You start with one city and expand through conquest, culture and science. 

Essentially there is "gold", "production", "food" which are generated by the terrain around your city which you can use to build improvements, military units or to unlock technology which in turn allows you to produce more gold and science etc. You can improve the land you own by building farms and mines on them to gain access to the luxury resources.

Eventually you can progress right through history from 4000BC to the future and develop tanks, aircraft and nukes.

It's not for everyone, but one game can easily last tens of hours.

11 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Totally different. Civ is turn based strategy. You start with one city and expand through conquest, culture and science. 

Essentially there is "gold", "production", "food" which are generated by the terrain around your city which you can use to build improvements, military units or to unlock technology which in turn allows you to produce more gold and science etc. You can improve the land you own by building farms and mines on them to gain access to the luxury resources.

Eventually you can progress right through history from 4000BC to the future and develop tanks, aircraft and nukes.

It's not for everyone, but one game can easily last tens of hours.

So when you conquest other cities is it AI or is it other real people's cities?

Really enjoying this. Still on my first game and don't fully understand everything that is going on at the moment with the new stuff but very enjoyable. 

The new district system means you have to be a bit more careful with planning your cities.

Roads get built automatically by trade routes.

Workers have been replaced by Builders - but they only have a limited number of "builds" - 3 by default although some Civs have more. This means being a bit more strategic about what you build first.

No "Unhapiness" as on Civ V!

Have built a few cities and now my explorers have voyaged across the oceans and I have found a chokepoint where there is a narrow strait at the bottom of a continent which runs all the way from pole to pole, so I am currently sending a settler and a navy fleet to establish a new city there which I hope will give me a tactical advanage by owning the only passage from one side of the world to the other.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Really enjoying this. Still on my first game and don't fully understand everything that is going on at the moment with the new stuff but very enjoyable. 

The new district system means you have to be a bit more careful with planning your cities.

Roads get built automatically by trade routes.

Workers have been replaced by Builders - but they only have a limited number of "builds" - 3 by default although some Civs have more. This means being a bit more strategic about what you build first.

No "Unhapiness" as on Civ V!

Have built a few cities and now my explorers have voyaged across the oceans and I have found a chokepoint where there is a narrow strait at the bottom of a continent which runs all the way from pole to pole, so I am currently sending a settler and a navy fleet to establish a new city there which I hope will give me a tactical advanage by owning the only passage from one side of the world to the other.

Is this fun then, thinking of pulling the trigger right now

Just now, Beliall said:

Is this fun then, thinking of pulling the trigger right now

Well I am enjoying it. The early reviews seem very positive. On the civfanatics forums some people are saying it is too hard or the AI isn't as good as it should be, or Production is too difficult but I haven't come across any of that to cause me a problem. I think it may be a bit harder than V but that's no bad thing.

I think if you're a fan of the series, then you'll like it.

I haven't got to late game yet (about 175 turns in I think) but sometimes by now V became just and endless click to build until every city had every building. You don't seem to be able to do that here. if you decide London is going to be your science city with a University district then that will probably define it's future development. Likewise I have Relgious, Production and Military focused cities.

Th e Hanging Gardens of Birmingham is not to be missed...

Just now, stripeyfox said:

Well I am enjoying it. The early reviews seem very positive. On the civfanatics forums some people are saying it is too hard or the AI isn't as good as it should be, or Production is too difficult but I haven't come across any of that to cause me a problem. I think it may be a bit harder than V but that's no bad thing.

I think if you're a fan of the series, then you'll like it.

I haven't got to late game yet (about 175 turns in I think) but sometimes by now V became just and endless click to build until every city had every building. You don't seem to be able to do that here. if you decide London is going to be your science city with a University district then that will probably define it's future development. Likewise I have Relgious, Production and Military focused cities.

Th e Hanging Gardens of Birmingham is not to be missed...

LOL, what is it made of, old bottles of white lighting and tampon strings?

I think I might get it then. I get every one, but I'm more careful with game choices these days, and I could get Mafia 3 and Deus ex for the same price as CIV

1 minute ago, Beliall said:

LOL, what is it made of, old bottles of white lighting and tampon strings?

I think I might get it then. I get every one, but I'm more careful with game choices these days, and I could get Mafia 3 and Deus ex for the same price as CIV

£50 is a bit lumpy. I'm sure it will be on sale within a few months. I really only play this and Football Manager nowadays!

About 250 turns in now and still really enjoying it. No noticeable slow down on my old laptop (which barely meets the minimum specs) which is good. The city I established to monopolise the straits is working well. Norweigian troops has to treck across the polar region to by pass me because I wouldn't give them open bordes. But the Americans have lots of units at my border so thinking it might kick off with them soon.

Still unsure about some of the new mechanics but really enjoying it!

Someone else must have brought this by now.??

33 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

About 250 turns in now and still really enjoying it. No noticeable slow down on my old laptop (which barely meets the minimum specs) which is good. The city I established to monopolise the straits is working well. Norweigian troops has to treck across the polar region to by pass me because I wouldn't give them open bordes. But the Americans have lots of units at my border so thinking it might kick off with them soon.

Still unsure about some of the new mechanics but really enjoying it!

Someone else must have brought this by now.??

Bought it this morning. Will be loading it up for a go shortly.....do I have you on steam?

Almost 400 turns in. Still running at an acceptable level. 

Russians declared a suprise war on me, which was stupid because my army is waay better then theirs so I am gradually marching through Russia grinding their cities to dust one by one. Still they won't surrender though. 

Oh well, on towards Moscow....

Edited by stripeyfox

• 1 year later...

This has had a new DLC update - CIv VI Rise and Fall. 

Add some more depth to the game, very good, including Governors for your Cities and new Golden and Dark age eras.

Was playing last night as one of the new Civs (Scotland) and was racing (so I thought) to a Science Victory, having launched a satellite and landed on the moon, I was constructing my Mars spacecraft only to discover in horror that my launch complex was in flames having been sabotaged by a French spy!

I reacted in the only reasonable way and promptly launched a devastating wave of nukes on their cities, airfields and spaceports!

• Haha 1