Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Andy Murray in the Thailand Open final

Gotta say well done to this lad. Odds are stacked against him tomorrow to beat Federer but to beat hometown boy Srichapan and Ginepri on the way for a player only just entering the top 100 is some feat.

I've never had any qualms with Henman as he has had a very good career, I know people will argue he has never won anything which is true but to have never won anything and still stay consistently in the top 10/20 for the vast majority of his career says something good about his ability. But his era has now got to be over, and Murray's has barely began.

He lost:

From bbc.co.uk

Battling Andy Murray saw his hopes of winning a maiden ATP title ended by Roger Federer at the Thailand Open.

The British 18-year-old played some dazzling tennis in a 6-3 7-5 loss, going for shots and showing no fear.

And Murray managed to claw his way back into the second set by breaking the world number one with guile and power.

But errors saw him surrender his opening service games in both sets and his last of the match as Federer pounced to win his 11th title of 2005.

The victory extended Federer's winning run to 31 - the longest such streak since Thomas Muster in 1995.

It was intimidating playing someone like Roger Federer

Andy Murray

And the Swiss has also prevailed in an incredible 24 straight finals, having also won in Bangkok last year, beating Andy Roddick 6-4 6-0.

But in many ways the day belonged to Murray, who continued to show rapid improvement.

After only getting a wildcard for the event when Tim Henman withdrew, the Scot made a bad start, surrendering his first service game in a major final.

He showed his Swiss opponent a glimmer of opportunity at 40-15 by double faulting and Federer exploited the lapse with three well-worked points to go 2-0 up.

Murray's next moment of crisis came on serve at 4-1 down.

This time though, he showed bravery and remarkable touch with one angled volley to close out the deuce game.

It wasn't totally unexpected - but it certainly sounds like Andy made a fight of it

From PS

Have your say on Five Live

Murray even started to give Federer trouble on his own serve - only missing out on a break point after an over-rule - before the world's top player took the set 6-3.

But he lapsed again at the start of the second set, producing three unforced errors to hand the opening game to Federer.

That might have proved crucial, but Murray showed all of his fighting qualities to strike back in the sixth game, breaking Federer's mighty serve.

Predictably, Federer had the final say, playing aggressive tennis to break at 5-5 and he held on for a hard-fought win.

Despite the loss, Murray will now be ranked inside the world's top 70. At the same age, Federer reached number 64.

He's better than Hen man and GregR :rolleyes:

Henman has been a top 10 player for the past decade and has won numerous ATP touraments. He has reached Grand Slam finals on three different surfaces and has beaten all the best players in the world. Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Agassi e.t.c.

He is one of the best sportsmen we have produced over the last decade and he gets ungrateful half wits such as yourself dismissing him as a nobody because he has never won Wimbledon.

There is absaloutely nothing to suggest Murray is in the same league as Henman (or Rusedski) yet. I personally think he will go on to be a quality player, top 5 in the world. But yoru attitude is typical of the Brtish public. We love a youngster but dismiss anyone who has achieved anything in their career unless they are perfect.

Get some perspective and a brain. :mad:

I think you have to admire Federer, he is one of the best tennis players of all time. He is constantly breaking records and he will go down in the history books as one of the best players in the history of the game.

As I said in my original post, I have no qualms with Henman as despite him never having won any high profile tournaments, he has had a very good career and to stay in the top 10/20 for the most of his career is a great achievement. I do believe though that in the future, Murray does have the potential to become a top 20 player and win a few tourneys too.

Look his only 18 years of age and i think everyone is putting loads of pressure on him already!! i think he may do good for the next wimbeldon!! And no offence i dont he will do any better after that!! :ermm:

Don't kid yourself. The boy learns, and he learns quick. He's an attacker, he's brave, he was born to it (his mother being dedicated to tennis all her life) and the lad'll be loving the pressure. He'll thrive on it. You know you've arrived when the interviews start and the magazine articles and the pictures of any girl you look at.

And, he's been a champion at junior level. He knows what it's like to be a winner and it looks like he's got the dedication to analyse where he goes wrong and put it right. Best British prospect for years in my view and loads of luck to him. He's a bit of a character too which helps.

Genuinely smashing people the Henman's (I played for Tony's squash team at Weston Manor) but certainly not McEnroe types.

The touch paper of champions is often lit with a special spark - something that glows even in the darkness and sets them apart. I think Henman is a wonderful player who has done much for our game but I've never seen the special spark. It's certainly there in Murray and I hope and believe it will become a flame and then an aurora which will bathe British tennis in brilliant colours for once.

We've waited long enough.

Archived