Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PNM

Ryan Christie

3 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Can't work out if your trolling but Jamie Vardy signed from the confrence and Mahrez from the French 2nd teir and they are 2 of the greatest players in our history. 

Key word is “likely”. The examples you use are exceptional outliers, and we’d be recruiting all of our players from the conference if they’re all like JV.

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

That's not even remotely close to being a fair comparrison. There is a far greater track record of players to have played in Scotland than the Latvian league....

Applying your rule of not signing players to have ever played in Scotland...

Well, we wouldn't have Maddison or Kasper for a start. (Maybe only loans but still fit your bonkers criteria)

You wouldn't want current (potentially) quality players like VVD, Mcginn, Gilmour, Moussa Dembele, Robertson, Tierney...

You would also have been against signing past players like, Stefan Klos, Larsson, Van Brockhurst, Arteta, Tugay, both De Boers, Moravcik, Di Canio, Gattuso, Petrov, Albertz, Brian Laudrup, Gascoigne, Reyna, Numan, Nakamura, cadette, Viduka.....  to name a few.

Latvia was a hypothetical example, and one used because I had recently looked at a Marian Pahars highlight reel.

I think there was a time in the 90s/early 00s (the time when most of your examples are from) when the different between the top tier in England and Scotland was probably pretty even. But money has put the English leagues on a different planet.

Gilmour has come through Chelsea’s academy hasn’t he? And the others represent such a small number of the overall talent pool north of the border - see point about outliers.

Of course you get good players everywhere, but they come in greater numbers in certain places - and that ain’t Scotland I’m afraid. I’m just cautious that’s all when thinking about signing players from Scottish clubs. And Ryan Christie is a good example of that.

4 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Granted you get the odd gem like Van Dijk. But ask yourself whether you would be hesitant when signing a player from the Latvian League or whatever - players from substandard leagues are likely to be substandard. 

If you pick a player at random from Latvia or even the SPL they'll probably not be PL standard, sure, that's a given.  But I don't understand how you can be so elitist when you support a team who have proven quite conclusively that they know how to vet a player's abilities irrespective of the league they're playing in.  If they say a player meets the requirements to be worth taking a punt on that's that as far as I'm concerned, they could be playing for a pub team in the Maldives and I'd still be on board.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Latvia was a hypothetical example, and one used because I had recently looked at a Marian Pahars highlight reel.

I think there was a time in the 90s/early 00s (the time when most of your examples are from) when the different between the top tier in England and Scotland was probably pretty even. But money has put the English leagues on a different planet.

Gilmour has come through Chelsea’s academy hasn’t he? And the others represent such a small number of the overall talent pool north of the border - see point about outliers.

Of course you get good players everywhere, but they come in greater numbers in certain places - and that ain’t Scotland I’m afraid. I’m just cautious that’s all when thinking about signing players from Scottish clubs. And Ryan Christie is a good example of that.

Gilmour moved to Chelsea from Rangers when he was 16, yes but he does happen to play for the Scottish national team which you highlighted as being a particular no-no in your book...

Ofcourse you're going to get a greater number of quality players from countries with larger populations who invest more into the game but the point I was making is that you can't discard players solely on the country they were born or leagues that they've played in without missing put on players like Vardy and VVD.... not to mention a certain lad from Zambia that we will be hearing alot of I'm the near future. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Gilmour moved to Chelsea from Rangers when he was 16, yes but he does happen to play for the Scottish national team which you highlighted as being a particular no-no in your book...

Ofcourse you're going to get a greater number of quality players from countries with larger populations who invest more into the game but the point I was making is that you can't discard players solely on the country they were born or leagues that they've played

in without missing put on players like Vardy and VVD.... not to mention a certain lad from Zambia that we will be hearing alot of I'm the near future. 

26 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

If you pick a player at random from Latvia or even the SPL they'll probably not be PL standard, sure, that's a given.  But I don't understand how you can be so elitist when you support a team who have proven quite conclusively that they know how to vet a player's abilities irrespective of the league they're playing in.  If they say a player meets the requirements to be worth taking a punt on that's that as far as I'm concerned, they could be playing for a pub team in the Maldives and I'd still be on board.

I’m not completely discarding anyone - I’m just saying I’m cautious when Scotland (and other countries for that matter) is involved in a players profile, but particularly Scotland.

59 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I’m not completely discarding anyone - I’m just saying I’m cautious when Scotland (and other countries for that matter) is involved in a players profile, but particularly Scotland.

"if he’s played in Scotland, or even worse is a Scottish National, then it’s a no from me"

...Sure sounds like you're completely discarding a whole bunch of players. 

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

"if he’s played in Scotland, or even worse is a Scottish National, then it’s a no from me"

...Sure sounds like you're completely discarding a whole bunch of players. 

Alright Quotey McQuoteface. 

Well, that is the general rule. I relaxed my hardline initial view based on your impassioned defense of Scottish football.

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck
  • Haha 2