Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stez

rss

I'm not all that certain either, but it's quite a popular feature amongst forums so it's available to anyone interested. Basically it means that you can use some sort of rss client to receive the latest topics and see it your own format.

In simple terms...

It's all about the "news headlines" coming to you (in one localised location, either a customised webpage or a separate program) rather than you visiting dozens of separate sites every day/week to see what is new on there.

For instance, you can now use google's beta RSS service to customise your google page (if you have a gmail account) by adding news titles from the BBC news website, the telegraph (BBC weather, important for people who work outdoors) etc... basically any site that offers RSS.

You can find out if a site offers RSS, as they normally have an orange button with white writing on it saying RSS. If you click on it and it takes you to a strangely formatted "text" file that ends in .xml. You copy that URL and use it to add that RSS feed (that's the technical term) to your RSS aggregator (e.g. my google page). (Choose "Add section", if I remember well, and paste the URL there). That feed (usually 3 main headlines) is immediately added to your customised page.

Yahoo also offers aggregation through their site/service centre or you can get one of the many RSS aggregators on the market (newsgator.com, pluck.com, lektora.com, stareware.com, etc).

There is more, but I tried to keep the above simple... Hope this helps.

Archived