Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

Narrow the midfield

i think we should try a narrow midfield of tiatto, williams, gudjonsson, hughes. i beleive this may provide a bit more of a drive and flair centrally.

i suggest this as the wing play just aint working. ok, that's probably down to the strikeforce, but it's not working.

smith and sylla can come off the bench as impact players if necessary, i just think that something needs to be shaken up in midfield. too me the kisnorbo and gudjosson partnership is ludicrous.

it's just a suggestion

i think we should try a narrow midfield of tiatto, williams, gudjonsson, hughes. i beleive this may provide a bit more of a drive and flair centrally.

i suggest this as the wing play just aint working. ok, that's probably down to the strikeforce, but it's not working.

smith and sylla can come off the bench as impact players if necessary, i just think that something needs to be shaken up in midfield. too me the kisnorbo and gudjosson partnership is ludicrous.

it's just a suggestion

Cast your mind back to Brighton - 0-0, no width, plenty of posession and no breakthrough. We won't break teams down by employing narrow tactics, unless you have full backs prepared to go beyond the midfielders. However, that's far too adventurous for Levein.

We need width to stretch the opposition back 4 and to drag their full backs out of position. It's very easy for teams to defend against narrow sides, as all they have to do is restrict space and force the play to go out wide. If we have no one available out wide, then what's the point? You can only play that way if the players in the side have immense skill and vision to spot a pass - unfortunately, we're not Real Madrid.

i agree, all the best teams exploit the wings. i made the suggestion however to just try it, with our lack of goals the width clearly isn't working. you could say we aren't good enough for wing play.

Maybe the wingers we are using aren't good enough? I haven't been overly impressed with Sylla since he joined us. He doesn't seem like the kind of player that will take on a full back and whip consistently good balls into the box. Hamill isn't a winger in my opinion. He's a wide midfielder that holds his position in the midfield four well but doesn't add much interms of creation when he plays. If he plays on the left flank we need to play with a left back who will overlap him. Johansson doesn't do that so that combination shouldn't be used again after the Preston match. Smith was one of the more lively players against Southampton but from the radio coverage it sounded like he lost the battle against Duff the Burnley full back. Remember, he is still getting used to first team football. To expect him to be the key that unlocks opposition defences on his own is silly. He needs support from left back and again that is Johansson. As good as he's been defensively, Johansson's distribution and support when attacking has been poor. Until we start to play with full backs and wingers who work as pairings I can't see us creating much from out wide.

Maybe the wingers we are using aren't good enough? I haven't been overly impressed with Sylla since he joined us. He doesn't seem like the kind of player that will take on a full back and whip consistently good balls into the box. Hamill isn't a winger in my opinion. He's a wide midfielder that holds his position in the midfield four well but doesn't add much interms of creation when he plays. If he plays on the left flank we need to play with a left back who will overlap him. Johansson doesn't do that so that combination shouldn't be used again after the Preston match. Smith was one of the more lively players against Southampton but from the radio coverage it sounded like he lost the battle against Duff the Burnley full back. Remember, he is still getting used to first team football. To expect him to be the key that unlocks opposition defences on his own is silly. He needs support from left back and again that is Johansson. As good as he's been defensively, Johansson's distribution and support when attacking has been poor. Until we start to play with full backs and wingers who work as pairings I can't see us creating much from out wide.

I personally Think the team would greatly benefit from dropping Kisnorbo, he was appauling on Saturday, and he hasn't played well since Watford away. Yet his still getting in the team.

Joey had another good game on Saturday, I think if/when Hughes gets back to his best and him and Joey are playing in CM you will see more suppourt for the wingers from midfield, Kiso's balls go sideways or backwards every time :ermm:

I think Levien will probabley relise this now ( if not now after we get trounced by Watford and Sheff U ) as well as the fact That he needs to enter the loan market for a striker, and he needs to drop Johanson for a real left back.

wings would work if CL actually played smith on the right, instead of left, and if sylla didnt try and do his skimmin more than once on the same player, yeh he is good at it so why show us again and again and then lose the ball baffles me! anywho!

It should work the way it is, but it doesn't because our players aren't motivated.

Ridiculous idea having a narrow midfield. Do we have a strike force that thrive on through balls? No...Never.

So I'm afraid it's long ball, crossing, nothing, nothing or nothing.

It should work the way it is, but it doesn't because our players aren't motivated.

Ridiculous idea having a narrow midfield. Do we have a strike force that thrive on through balls? No...Never.

So I'm afraid it's long ball, crossing, nothing, nothing or nothing.

oh, and we really have a team that thrives on crosses. de vries, hammond and hume are great in the air aren't they. if you can't tell i'm being sarcastic.

hammond and hume thrive on through balls, you could say that is the only thing hammond has in his game, pace to get onto through balls

oh, and we really have a team that thrives on crosses. de vries, hammond and hume are great in the air aren't they. if you can't tell i'm being sarcastic.

hammond and hume thrive on through balls, you could say that is the only thing hammond has in his game, pace to get onto through balls

That's not what I'm saying is it!

Do we ever play the through ball though? No!

Do we cross?...Sometimes.

Do we play the long ball?...Just a bit yes!

Archived