Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

Baseball 2022

3 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Those seats are nuts! Have you watched it back on the telly yet... are you in shot for every pitch? No escape when you're not paying attention to a big play by playing with your phone or picking your nose and its shown again and again?

So is 'dians a thing?? Not heard that one before, but I guess it works?

Can't say I'm too interested in the teams left in the post-season either: but I admit I was smiling all day when the Dodgers got dumped out by the little team down the road. (the little team down the road with the 4th highest payroll in baseball...) but if the Giants can't win, as long as the Dodgers don't, I'm not too fussed.

Payroll does make interesting reading though... Hadn't appreciated quite where Cleveland sat & $29.1m is peanuts in the scheme of things...

image.thumb.png.cade4b0a48d2ad399675eb832cc44a37.png

Was 5th row, one section over from the plate.  So I wouldn't have been on camera -- and if I was, you'd just have seen me nursing one $9 Albino Stout to make it last 7 innings.  (That ticket was just about affordable, but it wasn't cheap.)

The hard part of the name change is them not being the Tribe   That was more widely used than Indians.  I think people now are accepting that they are the Guards.  Or maybe the Gribe?

Not sure where those payroll figures are from?  I believe they were third-lowest this year at about $65M.  Jose Ramirez alone makes north of $20M.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Was 5th row, one section over from the plate.  So I wouldn't have been on camera -- and if I was, you'd just have seen me nursing one $9 Albino Stout to make it last 7 innings.  (That ticket was just about affordable, but it wasn't cheap.)

The hard part of the name change is them not being the Tribe   That was more widely used than Indians.  I think people now are accepting that they are the Guards.  Or maybe the Gribe?

Not sure where those payroll figures are from?  I believe they were third-lowest this year at about $65M.  Jose Ramirez alone makes north of $20M.

It was just a google search... actually from a betting site: https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb-highest-payrolls-2021/ - Usually payroll numbers are based on educated guesses, and depend on various factors such as bonuses etc - so I'd take any numbers with a pinch of salt, but but even factoring in being $65m v's $29m, its pretty tough going up against teams at $200m and over!

At least the Gribe would be unique!

It is an actual word and is quite appropriate:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gribe

"Gribing
The act of being grumpy while still vibing
I just stubbed my toe and finished my bag of Cheetos, but there’s still 20 minutes of GBBS left so I’m gribing"

or a better definition might be "I just had to pay 9 bucks for a beer, but I've got great seats for the playoffs so I’m gribing"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting World Series between the Astros and the Phillies. Phillies qualified via the new wild card structure of the playoffs after finishing 3rd in the NL east and making it all the way to the final (beating the NL #1 team Braves and fellow wildcard team San Diego in the NLCS).

As a Mets fan, I hate the Phillies but all of baseball hates the Astros due to the 2017 cheating scandal. I want the Astros to win purely because I cannot bare Philly taking the WS as a divisional rival. The Astros however were stellar in their own right throughout the playoffs and the regular season this year. 

In local baseball, your Leicester Blue Sox were crowned Midlands Champions this year after winning the league with a 13-1 record. We lost the national final (after beating teams from Cambridge and Guildford) to Croydon though which sucked. Looking forward to 2023! 

• Like 2

On 04/11/2022 at 21:59, AmericanScott said:

Interesting World Series between the Astros and the Phillies. Phillies qualified via the new wild card structure of the playoffs after finishing 3rd in the NL east and making it all the way to the final (beating the NL #1 team Braves and fellow wildcard team San Diego in the NLCS).

As a Mets fan, I hate the Phillies but all of baseball hates the Astros due to the 2017 cheating scandal. I want the Astros to win purely because I cannot bare Philly taking the WS as a divisional rival. The Astros however were stellar in their own right throughout the playoffs and the regular season this year. 

In local baseball, your Leicester Blue Sox were crowned Midlands Champions this year after winning the league with a 13-1 record. We lost the national final (after beating teams from Cambridge and Guildford) to Croydon though which sucked. Looking forward to 2023! 

And the Astros do it in 6. Only 5 players left from 2017, but still tainted! Very happy for Dusty Baker though. 

Congratulations to the Blue Sox - thats a very good season! You don't hear about this stuff from anywhere else...