Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

Baseball 2022

We haven't had a baseball topic in a few years (sure sign this one will sink like a stone).  But I wanted to move the below discussion out of the Football Kits thread -- and to see if there's still any interest in the great old American game. 

• Like 2

I was in America in 2005 and I think the Chicago White Sox won the World Series, so they’re my team (by team, I mean I bought a CWS trucker hat for my holiday to Morocco 2 years ago and have not checked any of their results in my life). 

I don’t follow baseball, but oddly, it’s my favourite of the American sports (maybe tied with NBA, and oddly because loads of people think it’s boring). It’s quite convoluted and without making a really lazy comparison, it does remind me a bit of the cricket. If I’m channel flicking and it’s on, I will watch it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Hard to believe a major league club adopted this logo

image.png.d4569be61671d814c151a594477a419b.png

Joking aside, (speaking as a Giants fan) they had to change and Guardians is a good name that feels traditional, but is (relatively!) unused and has a local basis. And I'm ashamed to say I actually quite like the 9 year old's logo. (and these are miles better than the Commanders name and logo!) 

Whats the general feeling in Cleveland now the dust has settled and the games have started?

(I realise its a bit off-topic, but this is a thread for new kits so whole new names, logos and kits count!) 

In Cleveland there's a lot of apathy because spending-wise, we are the Norwich City of the major leagues.

This is partly offset by the fact we have among the best front offices and very best managers, so we are always decent.  But fewer people go to the games.

And those who do are mostly older.  So some are either aging out of going, or set in their ways and ticked off by the rebranding.

This year's club is worth watching, but probably won't scrape the playoffs.  I'll go a few times, because it is relaxing, and so much more affordable than other major sports.

It's no easier to compete at the top end in MLB than in the PL.  Big spending, in those cases where it's directed intelligently (LA Dodgers; Man City) rules.

Edited by KingsX
  • Thanks 1

Having watched it on TV a bit, I went to a Nationals game on a visit to DC in 2018.

I was impressed. 

Just like the cricket - Sit, drink, relax, enjoy.  What's not to like?

I'm not that fussed who wins, I just want to see exciting games and skillful play.

• Like 1

Worked in a Summer Camp in California back in '96 & it was completely new to me, but I soaked up every minute I could while I was out there, getting to watch the San Francisco Giants v's Pittsburgh at Candlestick (they lost).

Went back the next year & made it back to Candlestick to watch Deion Sanders & the Reds (lost again) but then at the end of Camp went on a road trip with a mate & went to the Dodgers, Padres & Angels in the space of a few days.

Then on hols took in the Blue Jays at home to the hated Yankees and then 10 years after leaving, made it back for a hol to California with my wife & made it to the new SF ballpark (on 7th August 2007 no less) to see them lose to the Nationals, so have been to a few games & a few different stadiums.

Compared to those early days, its so easy to follow from 8,000 miles away. Its part of the daily routine in the morning to check the score from the night before & a quick read of the game & peek at the standings, and as its pretty much every day, you can feel quite connected. MLB.com has a free game of the day, so I keep an eye on that, and 4-5 time a year it will coincide with a free Giants game with a 9pm start, so its nice to be able to watch a bit for free. Anyone with a remote interest should register on mlb.com & can watch games for free.

I'd love to get to another game though (and finally see a Giants "W"). Its like the cricket as Vacamion says - you just sit, drink and relax, but its all about understanding the ebb and flow of the game. It feels as though nothing's happening, and then someone gets on base, and suddenly they are looking to steal, the pitchers looking to throw them out, there's multiple runs at the plate & then you can feel the hum of the crowd go up, people start concentrating & the atmosphere cranks up a notch. Then there's a double play and it goes back to as you were!

Maybe when the kids are a bit older or have left home, or mlb comes to London again, it might happen...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Having watched it on TV a bit, I went to a Nationals game on a visit to DC in 2018.

I was impressed. 

Just like the cricket - Sit, drink, relax, enjoy.  What's not to like?

I'm not that fussed who wins, I just want to see exciting games and skillful play.

I reckon all Sports for the outside Non Flush supporter...is getting First to understand the Sports Unique skills...t

Baseball vor me like cricket, is better to see & understand those Unique individual skills...( Bowling/Pitching especially) then Slip fielding..

Some fans only go for the atmosphere...

Being also a Rugby fanatic, the presentation & coaches of American football are over the Top ( often planned Part of THE SHOW ) 

If the game was shorter, it would be more interesting 

Watched college & Full League games, Chicago, L.Angeles,Denver, & yes Mexico...Great Atmoshere.

Love ice-hockey....Chicago Blackhawks..

I tried to get tickets for the Red Sox Yankees game a few years ago at London Stadium.

Didn't get any, but would really like to go if they do it again in this country. 

Used to love watching on Channel 5 in the early hours back in the day.

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I tried to get tickets for the Red Sox Yankees game a few years ago at London Stadium.

Didn't get any, but would really like to go if they do it again in this country. 

Used to love watching on Channel 5 in the early hours back in the day.

They are. Signed just last week for another three years. The problem is that the stadiums in the UK are too small, so the games become bit of a joke with home runs every innings 

Huge Baseball fan here.

Started on a visit to New York a few years back, me and my wife were starving and ended up walking in to a New York Yankees steakhouse (think it's closed down now).  Thought nothing of it but was fascinated by the paraphernalia around the place and led to me to do some research (the sports nerd that I am).  Really grew to admire the history and traditions of the sport and gradually got further and further in to it.  

A very simple game, but with heaps of complexity.  Absolutely love it now.

As I didn't have a natural team to support, the fact we went to a Yankees restaurant led me to choose them as my team and have followed them ever since.

Judge and Stanton absolutely killing it this year so far :schmike:

• Like 2

On 15/05/2022 at 04:10, Golden Fox said:

Thankfully no Dodgers fans yet then! 

I still puke a little in my mouth when I think of this... 

image.png.077d095d78aa1d104db3d7c5616d8287.png

Dodgers fans will surely be flocking to Chelsea...

• 3 weeks later...

Leicester has a baseball club (Leicester Blue Sox) and we play in a Midlands league against teams from around the region such as Long Eaton, Birmingham, Worcester, Wolverhampton, Stourbridge, Telford and Clifton. Anyone ever interested in giving baseball a try, we train on Wednesdays at Western Park (off Park View) 6pm, home games are on Sundays. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AmericanScott said:

Leicester has a baseball club (Leicester Blue Sox) and we play in a Midlands league against teams from around the region such as Long Eaton, Birmingham, Worcester, Wolverhampton, Stourbridge, Telford and Clifton. Anyone ever interested in giving baseball a try, we train on Wednesdays at Western Park (off Park View) 6pm, home games are on Sundays. 

I had no idea there was grassroots baseball in England!  Is that a cricket pitch with a portable outfield fence and backstop?  Do you get many spectators?

As bad as your football refs can be, I won't even ask how you find umpires who can call balls and strikes :cool:

9 hours ago, KingsX said:

I had no idea there was grassroots baseball in England!  Is that a cricket pitch with a portable outfield fence and backstop?  Do you get many spectators?

As bad as your football refs can be, I won't even ask how you find umpires who can call balls and strikes :cool:

We've got our own field at Western Park. We set up the fences and bases every game day but the back stop and base cut outs are permanent fixtures. The only spectators we get are usually friends and family of the players and people walking their dogs. 

We've got a small pool of umpires and they do get paid for their time, but yeah there's been some quite awful officiating over the years. We usually know who the good ones are. 

• 1 month later...

All-Star Break time - a good point to take a view on season so far...

The Giants were never going to repeat last years' 107 wins and division title with Buster Posey retiring and old players getting even older and slower...

But they did a pretty good job getting to 10 games over .500 winning more series than not on the way to 37-27. Not going to compete with the Dodgers' behemoth again, but comfortably in the wild card position.

Then a bad loss led to another bad loss, and the wheels started falling off during a 4-14 run, dropping out the play-off picture & it became apparent the whole thing was build on shaky foundations and they actually did need to invest a lot more in the summer. 

But the last week and a half have seen a resurgence with a 7-2 run, including the first walk-off grand slam since 1973 a couple of days ago(!) and the good vibes have come back & just half a game out the wild card.

So fair to say its been up and down so far... and I really don't have much time for the All-Star game: particularly where its being held this year...

On 04/06/2022 at 08:25, AmericanScott said:

We've got our own field at Western Park. We set up the fences and bases every game day but the back stop and base cut outs are permanent fixtures. The only spectators we get are usually friends and family of the players and people walking their dogs. 

We've got a small pool of umpires and they do get paid for their time, but yeah there's been some quite awful officiating over the years. We usually know who the good ones are. 

Thanks for the baseballs, my dog loves finding them. I’m a Brewers fan.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Well, that's the end tonight for my hometown Guardians.  Nobody left in the AL but the richest clubs.  And two so-called "Cinderellas" in the NL who spend just as much as the Bronx Bastards and the equally vile 'stros.

But there's a consolation for being a fan of a low-budget, small-market club.  You can get a helluva seat for a playoff game without breaking the bank :)

wildcard.JPG.e6218dffca112acb602aaf227324767d.JPG

We even had a tifo in the bleachers (club-printed, but it's a start).  And we chanted the Jose, Jose, Jose song louder than I've heard a Leicester crowd on TV lately.

1185117408_wildcardtifo.jpg.a6c6cf6cb8c51ddbdeb24e4966f00639.jpg

Love my 'dians.  Youngest club and third-smallest payroll, yet we stuck it to most of the rest of them, hard.  Until next year ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KingsX said:

Well, that's the end tonight for my hometown Guardians.  Nobody left in the AL but the richest clubs.  And two so-called "Cinderellas" in the NL who spend just as much as the Bronx Bastards and the equally vile 'stros.

But there's a consolation for being a fan of a low-budget, small-market club.  You can get a helluva seat for a playoff game without breaking the bank :)

wildcard.JPG.e6218dffca112acb602aaf227324767d.JPG

We even had a tifo in the bleachers (club-printed, but it's a start).  And we chanted the Jose, Jose, Jose song louder than I've heard a Leicester crowd on TV lately.

1185117408_wildcardtifo.jpg.a6c6cf6cb8c51ddbdeb24e4966f00639.jpg

Love my 'dians.  Youngest club and third-smallest payroll, yet we stuck it to most of the rest of them, hard.  Until next year ...

Those seats are nuts! Have you watched it back on the telly yet... are you in shot for every pitch? No escape when you're not paying attention to a big play by playing with your phone or picking your nose and its shown again and again?

So is 'dians a thing?? Not heard that one before, but I guess it works?

Can't say I'm too interested in the teams left in the post-season either: but I admit I was smiling all day when the Dodgers got dumped out by the little team down the road. (the little team down the road with the 4th highest payroll in baseball...) but if the Giants can't win, as long as the Dodgers don't, I'm not too fussed.

Payroll does make interesting reading though... Hadn't appreciated quite where Cleveland sat & $29.1m is peanuts in the scheme of things...

image.thumb.png.cade4b0a48d2ad399675eb832cc44a37.png