Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Planning holidays around World Cups

Back in the day (and it's been over 8 years since I've had such a holiday) I used to make sure to spend a week or two holiday abroad when the World Cup or Euros was on. This would normally be in a Spanish city (although I did it once in Germany) as  a) the drinks/snacks would be a lot cheaper (and the tapas sometimes free)  b) the weather in those days would be better, these days it's less obvious  c) you'd avoid all the nonsense when Beckham or someone messed up.  By staying in a major city you'd generally avoid tribalism (I'm not talking Benidorm here) I can't say I missed the British commentators much... I didn't really want to go to a tournament proper for fear of being regarded the same as the barmy lot.

Of course it's different this year. I doubt I'll be in a position to have a holiday then, but where would be a good place to stay to watch the Qatar tournament? Florida perhaps, or maybe down under? Tenerife is a contender if they avoid cold weather at that time of year. Is Portugal still warm in November?

3 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Back in the day (and it's been over 8 years since I've had such a holiday) I used to make sure to spend a week or two holiday abroad when the World Cup or Euros was on. This would normally be in a Spanish city (although I did it once in Germany) as  a) the drinks/snacks would be a lot cheaper (and the tapas sometimes free)  b) the weather in those days would be better, these days it's less obvious  c) you'd avoid all the nonsense when Beckham or someone messed up.  By staying in a major city you'd generally avoid tribalism (I'm not talking Benidorm here) I can't say I missed the British commentators much... I didn't really want to go to a tournament proper for fear of being regarded the same as the barmy lot.

Of course it's different this year. I doubt I'll be in a position to have a holiday then, but where would be a good place to stay to watch the Qatar tournament? Florida perhaps, or maybe down under? Tenerife is a contender if they avoid cold weather at that time of year. Is Portugal still warm in November?

Any of the Canary Islands is a winner 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bert said:

Any of the Canary Islands is a winner 

Have to agree, from a value for money view, can't really go wrong with the Canary Islands. Same with Cyprus I imagine. And if the rains set in, doesn't matter too much since I'd be watching the football in a bar anyway.

On 18/05/2022 at 14:39, SkidsFox said:

Far East or caribbean surely