Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Breakdown Recovery Services

On 04/02/2024 at 19:23, CUJimmy said:

I suspect you will get horror stories from any breakdown company so it’s always going to be the luck of the draw.

What I would say is treat the renewal price as an opening bid and go from there.  You should be able to negotiate a decent discount or at the very least 15 months for the price of 12.

Pretty much what I thought. This thread is a very small sample size but is already suggesting this is the case.

On 04/02/2024 at 19:23, CUJimmy said:

I suspect you will get horror stories from any breakdown company so it’s always going to be the luck of the draw.

On 05/02/2024 at 21:04, ajthefox said:

Pretty much what I thought. This thread is a very small sample size but is already suggesting this is the case.

I have cancelled the renewal with Green Flag and subsequently looked at reviews of both the AA and the RAC and from what I've seen so far leaves very little to choose in terms of response and recovery.

It does seem that it depends on what you're broken down with. A simple thing like a jump start or wheel change that can be sorted at the roadside and it's fair enough.

Anything more complex like a mechanical failure, and you're waiting for an onward tow or full recovery truck. And that's more of a lottery as to how quickly you'll get home. It seems apparent that all recovery services will sling-shot you between private recovery firms if you have broken down and you don't live in the area they cover. 

If you're involved in a collision and the vehicle isn't driveable, you could wait some considerable time as roadside repairs seem to be prioritised, unless you're on a motorway or the vehicle is causing an obstruction. Generally in those situations either the police or the Highways Agency patrols will drag the vehicle to a safer position.

Edited by Parafox