Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Breakdown Recovery Services

I didn't know which topic to put this in so I started one.

What are people's experiences of these?

I have used the RAC in the past but I decided to go with Green Flag for the last year as I found the RAC and the AA a bit pricey

RAC were very good on the two occasions I had to call them out a few years ago.

A few days ago I had to call GF as I had the red engine management warning light come on and it advised me to stop. I was on the hard shoulder of the M6.

I took 35 mins to get through to them. I explained the problem and that I was in a risky location. I was told there would be someone with me in 45 mins.

1hr 30 mins later, I call again to be told that the original allocated garage had been diverted to a nearer job to them but I could expect a recovery truck to arrive within an hour.

Sure enough someone did arrive in a van. He took a look under the bonnet and said nothing was obvious i.e an oil or fuel leak or a "snapped cam chain". 

He then said he had no diagnostic kit with him but he would tow me to the nearest services where I should wait for an onward tow to a garage local to me. This was now 7pm.

I sat in my car at the services for another hour. Nobody turned up. I rang GF again and they said they had no record of a request to tow me. I gave them the initial reference number and the name of the garage that had attended on the M6.

No record. However they did agree to send a tow truck to my location. I waited another 90 mins until someone showed up. They said they could tow me to a garage of my choice but there was a maximum of 10 miles that was free. Anything above that and it was (I think) 16p per mile. I was near Birmingham.

Today, I tried to contact GF to complain and cancel my cover. I waited 2 hrs on the phone before giving up. The on-line chat won't accept cancellations. You have to speak to an agent. 

I can't cancel any direct debit because there isn't one. I paid the fee by giving them my bank details and that can't be cancelled.

I will eventually get it sorted but GF plainly are just an awful company. They're cheaper for a reason.

• Like 2

I used to use the AA but like you found them expensive but ok. I've been with Greenflag for about 4 years and had to call them 3 times in a short timescale as my car wouldn't start, There response was excellent each time, bearing in mind I was at home although to took until the 3rd time to suss out what the problem was - my radio was on all the time with the sound turned down as I don't use it.

Thankfully not had to use them on a journey.

I've come to the view that I would never buy anything or any service if I judged it sole on reviews they all seem to have a fair number of zero ratings.

Good luck with sorting it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I didn't know which topic to put this in so I started one.

What are people's experiences of these?

I have used the RAC in the past but I decided to go with Green Flag for the last year as I found the RAC and the AA a bit pricey

RAC were very good on the two occasions I had to call them out a few years ago.

A few days ago I had to call GF as I had the red engine management warning light come on and it advised me to stop. I was on the hard shoulder of the M6.

I took 35 mins to get through to them. I explained the problem and that I was in a risky location. I was told there would be someone with me in 45 mins.

1hr 30 mins later, I call again to be told that the original allocated garage had been diverted to a nearer job to them but I could expect a recovery truck to arrive within an hour.

Sure enough someone did arrive in a van. He took a look under the bonnet and said nothing was obvious i.e an oil or fuel leak or a "snapped cam chain". 

He then said he had no diagnostic kit with him but he would tow me to the nearest services where I should wait for an onward tow to a garage local to me. This was now 7pm.

I sat in my car at the services for another hour. Nobody turned up. I rang GF again and they said they had no record of a request to tow me. I gave them the initial reference number and the name of the garage that had attended on the M6.

No record. However they did agree to send a tow truck to my location. I waited another 90 mins until someone showed up. They said they could tow me to a garage of my choice but there was a maximum of 10 miles that was free. Anything above that and it was (I think) 16p per mile. I was near Birmingham.

Today, I tried to contact GF to complain and cancel my cover. I waited 2 hrs on the phone before giving up. The on-line chat won't accept cancellations. You have to speak to an agent. 

I can't cancel any direct debit because there isn't one. I paid the fee by giving them my bank details and that can't be cancelled.

I will eventually get it sorted but GF plainly are just an awful company. They're cheaper for a reason.

Blimey took up GF earlier this year and felt quite smug about the price

I've been with RAC for as long as I can remember. We save up all our Tesco clubcard points throughout the year and use them to get triple the value which pays for me and the mrs to have full cover.

Only used them once about 5 years ago when I broke down in my village about half a mile from home. Rang them up and was told be there in 30 mins.

60 mins later no one had showed, up so I rang them back and they put me through to the driver on his phone.

"Where are you?" he said 

"I'm exactly where I was an hour ago when I broke down" I replied

"But I'm here on the high street and I can't see your car" he said

"Well trust me, I'm still here. Opposite the church. I can't see your van though"

"You are in Whitchurch, Shopshire aren't you?" he said.

"No, I'm in Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire" I replied.

That'll explain it then :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I've been with RAC for as long as I can remember. We save up all our Tesco clubcard points throughout the year and use them to get triple the value which pays for me and the mrs to have full cover.

Only used them once about 5 years ago when I broke down in my village about half a mile from home. Rang them up and was told be there in 30 mins.

60 mins later no one had showed, up so I rang them back and they put me through to the driver on his phone.

"Where are you?" he said 

"I'm exactly where I was an hour ago when I broke down" I replied

"But I'm here on the high street and I can't see your car" he said

"Well trust me, I'm still here. Opposite the church. I can't see your van though"

"You are in Whitchurch, Shopshire aren't you?" he said.

"No, I'm in Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire" I replied.

That'll explain it then :rolleyes:

Like the girl who got a taxi to stamford bridge and ended up in Yorkshire

• Haha 1

Was with Autoaid  for a few years but last couple of years changed to rescue my car.

Luckily not used them yet so can't really give you much details of experience.

Good reviews though.

I was with Green flag for a good few years and had to call them out possibly 3-4 times but i was always very happy with the service. It possibly depends on where you at the time as they do tend to use local garages as opposed to there own mechanics. We are now with the AA and as a family of 4 drivers it costs just over £400 per year. Personally i think with the AA covering the driver as opposed to the car you are far better off paying a little extra as you are covered even as a passenger should you need to call upon them. Its suprising how many discounts you can get by being a member as well, these range from money off at Halfords to meals at Greene King pubs

Over the years I've had breakdown cover with RAC, Green Flag and the AA

This should tell you all you need to know about the AA

In Sept I was in West Sussex 40 miles from home and hit a pothole that not only wrote off the nearside front type but also there was damage to the suspension (although didn't know at the time) Car is BMW 3 Series XDrive 

This happened at 7pm - remember that 

Guess what... there was an AA Van not 50 yards away helping a chap with a faulty lock. How lucky am I!

I walked over the the AA bloke. Who's response was "I can't help you because I only do breakdowns and accidents, you'll have to ring to report your problem

I rang AA...We are busy, and can't get to you until midnight

Then I get a text, we'll be with you at 8:15pm, then a follow up 8:45pm

Nothing happened so I ring and got this response "sorry we can't get anyone to you until midnight"

11:55pm an AA van turns up - The same van and AA bloke that was 50 yards away at 7pm! 

He takes the wheel off and identifies further damage but he can't do anything as my car is 4WD and Auto and can't be towed. In any event he was going off shift 

He says we will need to get a tow truck to you, he notifies the control centre

1:30am AA ring me, can't get a tow truck to me. They will get a taxi to me and pick the car up tomorrow  (I had to hide the key)

The AA order a taxi from Gatwick which takes 1:30hrs to get to me

3am the taxi arrives. 

To complete the experience the taxi driver drove like a complete lunatic, driving far to fast on minor roads regularly overshooting corners

I get home after 4am

I completed a scathing online survey at the roadside for the AA bloke at 12am

The AA sent me another one a few days later which I was happy to complete with the same horror story

You would think that being kept at the roadside from 7pm to 3am (8hours) might prompt them to investigate further..... of course not, 

The best service I've had has been Green Flag. They are owned by Direct Line

Parafox if you would like to DM me with your policy details I'm meeting the acting Claims Director for Direct Line Group on Thursday this week. I will happily sort your issue for you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

I was with Green flag for a good few years and had to call them out possibly 3-4 times but i was always very happy with the service. It possibly depends on where you at the time as they do tend to use local garages as opposed to there own mechanics. We are now with the AA and as a family of 4 drivers it costs just over £400 per year. Personally i think with the AA covering the driver as opposed to the car you are far better off paying a little extra as you are covered even as a passenger should you need to call upon them. Its suprising how many discounts you can get by being a member as well, these range from money off at Halfords to meals at Greene King pubs

If you change your banking to NatWest subscription account you'll get AA cover for the family. Unfortunately they have just switched to AA from Green Flag who are  better as they use independent garages who are always nearer to any breakdown location (save for my experience I've just posted)

It comes with free travel insurance and a range of discounts and benefits

It will be in the region of £275

A much better deal than you have at the moment for the same thing and more

If that's not an option go with Green Flag for a lot less cash plus Direct Line Group will take any complaints and service issues far more seriously than AA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

Blimey took up GF earlier this year and felt quite smug about the price

Check the reviews. Some good for simple fixes. Mostly bad for the more difficult ones.

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Check the reviews. Some good for simple fixes. Mostly bad for the more difficult ones.

Fortunately haven't had to use them although your post has made me think now about cancelling and going back to RAC/AA

2 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

If you change your banking to NatWest subscription account you'll get AA cover for the family. Unfortunately they have just switched to AA from Green Flag who are  better as they use independent garages who are always nearer to any breakdown location (save for my experience I've just posted)

It comes with free travel insurance and a range of discounts and benefits

It will be in the region of £275

A much better deal than you have at the moment for the same thing and more

If that's not an option go with Green Flag for a lot less cash plus Direct Line Group will take any complaints and service issues far more seriously than AA.

But for me it's not just about taking complaints seriously, it's about service response at the time of need and GF failed and then failed again with customer service as I have yet to get through to someone so I can cancel my policy.

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Fortunately haven't had to use them although your post has made me think now about cancelling and going back to RAC/AA

Which is what I intend to do.

The problem is, one never knows how good or bad a service can be until you need it yourself. And, of the few times I've needed assistance, the RAC were excellent. That might not be everyone's experience. The one time I need GF it was poor. Again, that might not be everyone's experience.

Pay your money, take your chance.

Been with the RAC since I've had my license, considering I've driven a clapped up corsa and a micra for the first few years you could imagine the amount of times I've had to call them out, never had any complaints. Would rather spend the extra few bob and stick with them.

Ridiculously, never had to call them out for the 7 odd years I've had my 61 reg astra. lol

I had breakdown cover with car insurance, no idea which company I'd just ring my insurance and they'd contact a garage local to me who would come out and sort me. Got back from a holiday, 1am Stanstead airport, car battery was so flat even the alarm didn't work. Called insurance, said they'd get someone. 3am a bloke in a van turned up, asked me to go to the car park entrance so I could get in and show him where I was parked. Absolutely reeked of alcohol, reckon he was hammered. Cones blocking car park entrance as it was full. He just runs them down to get in. Still, got the car started and off I went.

I got AA breakdown cover for £20 for the year when I renewed my car insurance a few years ago. Had to use them twice and found both times to be excellent. 

On a bank holiday my starter motor went at the asda petrol station in fosse park. Pushed the car away from the pumps and gave them a call. Someone was there within the hour, diagnosed the problem, went off to buy a new starter motor, fixed it there and then and off I went. Had to pay for the starter motor (£100). I knew it was already on the way out and would've cost a fair bit more to have it done at a garage. So very happy with that.

The other time I used it was for a flat tyre. Was about to leave for work and it was absolutely pissing it down, saw the flat tyre. Didn't fancy sorting it myself. Didn't have home start, so drove it slowly to an industrial estate round the corner, just outside the range classed as home start, and they had me sorted within the hour again.

Left them this year as the £20 a year went up to £200, took out RAC cover with insurance but never had to use them.

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

Don't go on one single review. If you do that you'd be constantly ping ponging around the three.

Had a similar experience to @Red Squirrel using AA’s relay service.

Broke down around 9am about 120miles from home & it took over 15hrs for them to get us home.

As the name suggests AA sling shoot you back to a final destination this being home or a garage. I to was in a fixed 4WD vehicle & despite telling the operator this after a couple of hours an AA van pulls up who says yep you not going anywhere but I can’t pull you I’ll need to arrange a low loader.

Few more hours pass low loader arrives and we’re on our way, 20minutes later we pull into a petrol station where he says right I drop you here and some else picks you up to carry on.

This happened 3 times to finally get us home & each time we had to wait a few hours they couldn’t even link up local garages for a more seamless transfer.

Then I had the dilemma of what is my final destination; home and then have to sort someone to pick up car; or garage then have to get a taxi at gone midnight 🤷‍♂️ 

In the end I bunged the AA guy some cash and he took us home after dropping the car outside the garage.

AA attended the 1st call (van) then its local recovery in between and then AA make the final drop. I was lucky in that the final destination guy was happy to take a backhander and the 1st guy probably the best of the bunch took us to a local petrol station to use the toilet and get a few drinks and snacks as we’d been on the road a few hours and he said we could be waiting a few hours to get picked up initially, so fair play to him.

I cancelled the policy shortly after I wasn’t going through that again.

We were with Start Rescue until late last year, competitively priced and the couple of times I need to call them out they were very good. Once the included breakdown cover that came when we changed the car ends, I'll be happy to go back to them.

• Like 1

AA, thankfully I've never had to use them apart from home start (new battery).

On my policy they have accident assist which means you call them if you have an accident and they will sort everything

sounds good but i hope i never have to.

I suspect you will get horror stories from any breakdown company so it’s always going to be the luck of the draw.

What I would say is treat the renewal price as an opening bid and go from there.  You should be able to negotiate a decent discount or at the very least 15 months for the price of 12.

• Thanks 1