Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nolucklcfc

Why are we a club of such extremes?

I'm a Wycombe fan who has followed this forum since part way through the title season, and it is a fascinating look from the outside.

On the one hand, I am massively jealous, as you have reached the pinnacle, both with the league and cup, and in a way that was so incredible that it will be talked about for ever. So on the one hand, you could get stuck in the Champo or even L1, and never die wondering, as it were. No-one can take away your achievements. On the other hand, football is all about recency, and as a fan you can't dine out perpetually on the past if the present is difficult, and the way you barely missed out on the CL twice in 5th, then somehow got relegated last season instead of jammy Everton (who happen to have their points relegation this season in a year where there are abject teams who can barely get past 20 points) then saw a 17 point lead evaporate this season must be an absolutely gut wrenching sequence. 

I think overall I am still jealous, though - Wycombe's promised land was making it to the Championship, but it happened without fans, we had transcendently horrible refereeing and injuries, still only missed out by a point, and then Derby were not punished in time for us to retain our place. Not only that, but we lost the playoff final v Sunderland the following season and are trending downward. To cap it all, our incredible achievement is itself routinely disrespected by a false narrative that we got into the playoffs on a technicality (we were top longer than anyone that season and only fell out of the top 4 for the first time the final weekend before Covid when we did not have a game - and 3rd through 8th was covered by a single point, except we had played a game less). So even that gets downplayed. The long and the short is, we did not properly "scratch the itch", so unless we ever have a season in the Champo with crowds, we WILL die wondering.

I actually still think you are going to go up automatically. You have just gone from hunted to hunter, and Ipswich have a brutal closing schedule. The defeat today will help you get the bit between your teeth, I think. Good luck!

• Like 3

We are one of a kind that’s for sure.

The constant change of fortunes and drama is probably the reason why a movie like moneyball has never been made about our story. The script writers just gave up trying to keep up with us lol. 

5 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I wouldn’t have it any other way but it’s just emotionally draining 😅

Yeah mate, likewise. Thankfully, I'm starting to take the dodginess and the drama a lot better 😂 previously I'd be a right stroppy fella!

• Haha 1