Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Anish

Leicester 1-1 Crewe

Nicely written :D

Sounds like Sheehan had a rough afternoon, I can't imagine that's done his confidence much good unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, how did Stearman play in the centre of the defence? That is his natural position, afterall.

He didn't. He was at fault for not closing the winger down fast enough, and deserved his bookings but otherwise he had a good and constructive first half and could do with a bit of support instead of being pulled apart at every opportunity.

I watched Nils for two months before complaining about his weaknesses, and the same with Sylla.

The bottom line is that Sheehan is a bloody good player and it showed today if Anish would only look beyond isolated incidents (including bookings which would not normally be described with such unyielding condemnation).

Given encouragement Sheehan can play a huge part in the development of this team. But don't expect fault-free cos you won't find it in this division.

To Anish I would say: Who ARE these players we have that don't make isolated mistakes. I saw lots of mistakes today but, after that display of almost total dominance, I wouldn't want to pull any of our side apart - let alone a kid who, first and foremost needs his confidence boosting at first team level to bring the best out of him.

If you somehow resent me for championing a lad who is potentially our best for years at number three then have a go at me - but hammering a kid after that team performance and his considerable contribution to it, is shameful.

There was enough indifference to Hume when he first arrived despite Ric and I pointing out that he'd be a fans favourite. He made some mistakes and missed some pretty glaring chances to score. Different reaction today Anish. Good job we didn't hound him out before he'd had a chance isn't it?.

Sorry Thrac - but a match report means a report of the match. In other words, what happened during the 90 minutes. I do not care about a player's background, skills, or potential when writing match reports. I merely comment on how well they played.

If it had been anybody else who had done the same things as Sheehan, I would have made the same comments. I am not going to say 'Sheehan got sent off' and then not describe his indiscretions for this dismissal. That's what a report is about.

I do not highlight particular mistakes of any individuals unless they result in a goal for the opposition, or sendings off - something that is concrete. And Sheehan's mistakes did lead to a goal being conceded and a sending off.

What do you want me to write in a match report? "Crewe's Billy Jones luckily beat Alan Sheehan and his cross was headed home by xyz". Or "Sheehan accidently handballed and then was unfortunate to mistime his tackle". There was no luck involved in any of those events. I tell it like I see it.

Besides, do you even think it makes a difference what I write in a match report? Do you think any of the players will even read it or take notice.

Not likely.

Sorry Thrac - but a match report means a report of the match. In other words, what happened during the 90 minutes. I do not care about a player's background, skills, or potential when writing match reports. I merely comment on how well they played.

If it had been anybody else who had done the same things as Sheehan, I would have made the same comments. I am not going to say 'Sheehan got sent off' and then not describe his indiscretions for this dismissal. That's what a report is about.

I do not highlight particular mistakes of any individuals unless they result in a goal for the opposition, or sendings off - something that is concrete. And Sheehan's mistakes did lead to a goal being conceded and a sending off.

What do you want me to write in a match report? "Crewe's Billy Jones luckily beat Alan Sheehan and his cross was headed home by xyz". Or "Sheehan accidently handballed and then was unfortunate to mistime his tackle". There was no luck involved in any of those events. I tell it like I see it.

Besides, do you even think it makes a difference what I write in a match report? Do you think any of the players will even read it or take notice.

Not likely.

Well, I'm probably out of date now on the finer points of reporting so I'm pleased to thank you for your enlightenment.

I've conceded Sheehan made a mistake, I never once complained about the justice of the bookings, so what's left...

Oh yes, the emphasis. The problem with reports (in my probably nieve opinion) is that they tend to be selective. And selectiveness can convey a much harsher picture, sometimes, than the real or fuller picture.

Ah but I'm old fashioned. What the hell does fairness matter.

As for the relevence of your report you are too modest. I read it (with interest and appreciation though I doubt you'll believe it while we're arguing), and it is obvious many others on this forum have already read and will do so tomorrow.

If it doesn't get back to the players I will be very surprised but if not, so what. You've told it as you've seen it and I accept that and respect that (always have). I just saw it differently. I saw the good things the kid did and I saw the fact that Higden wasn't marked two yards from the goalline.

And people expect me to give centre-halves high marks... :)

PS: generally I think you're reports are great.

Archived