Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
spirefox

Aerial Weakness

Many of us would like to see a midfield of Smith,Williams ,Gudjonnson and Hughes with Fryatt and Hammond or Hume up front.The problem is ,with Maybury also being very poor in the air,we would be even more vulnerable in the air than we are already.Given how generally leaden footed and ineffective Kisnorbo and MDV are,I can only conclude that their relative strength in the air is a major factor in their selection.In a division where set pieces are absolutely crucial, I can't see how the present squad can produce an effective formation.With no aerial reinforcements I'm afraid we're doomed.

Many of us would like to see a midfield of Given how generally leaden footed and ineffective Kisnorbo and MDV are,I can only conclude that their relative strength in the air is a major factor in their selection.

I would say MDV's strengths are that, when given time and space, he does have good ball control when it's played on the deck. As for being strong in the air, I have to disagree. It took him three games before he headed a ball, if I remember rightly, and he's the only player I've ever seen who actually gets shorter when going for a header!

As for Kisnorbo, he's not up to it, I'm afraid. It's not his fault, if someone offered me the chance to play professional football, I'd take it and hope noone noticed my many weaknesses. If effort won us games, he'd be talismanic. However it doesn't, ability does, and he lacks. I feel sorry for him actually.

I agree he is actually quite poor in the air ,but his size and height make him reasonably effective at set pieces,certainly more so than the other 3 strikers.

I dunno, Hume seems to get up very well.

I think, to be honest, it's a case of who you know. If you know what I mean. :unsure:

I dunno, Hume seems to get up very well.

I think, to be honest, it's a case of who you know. If you know what I mean. :unsure:

Quite frankly, i think it is amaing how many goals we have conceded from set plays. Apart from Maybury, our back line is pretty big height-wise. Stearman, McCarthy and Gerrbrand must have an average height of about 6 foot 2. I cant explain it really. I have again come to the conclusion that this must be down to Leveins poor coaching.

Quite frankly, i think it is amaing how many goals we have conceded from set plays. Apart from Maybury, our back line is pretty big height-wise. Stearman, McCarthy and Gerrbrand must have an average height of about 6 foot 2. I cant explain it really. I have again come to the conclusion that this must be down to Leveins poor coaching.

The one thing i notice from this list is that we lack tall guys with a bit of meat on them to be able to hold their own, think back to the likes of Walshie, Taggs and Elliott, they all had a bit of weight as well as height... :ermm:

The one thing i notice from this list is that we lack tall guys with a bit of meat on them to be able to hold their own, think back to the likes of Walshie, Taggs and Elliott, they all had a bit of weight as well as height... :ermm:

Well, i wouldnt say that Gerrbrand is skinny. Paddy Mac and Stearman, but not Gerrbs

To answer your question, they're both in the side because Levein believes both players could be part of a side which should walk this league easily (As he thinks his old Hearts team, which includes the aforementioned players plus Maybury and Hamill would coast this division) ;)

In all seriousness, Kisnorbo is in the side as he's seen as a holding player, who has plenty of energy, breaks up attacks and wins headers from set pieces and open play. The reality is Kisnorbo doesn't actually fulfill those qualities. He's supposed to protect the back 4, but he's all over the place with no form of discipline or footballing brain - which explains his lack of awarness on and off the ball. He does break up some attacks, but at the same time he contributes to them as well. There have been many occasions where he's been in posession of the ball, and dallied on it for far too long and subsequently lost it, therefore benefiting the opposition. One thing he does do is win headers, but for his size and stature, it shouldn't be any other way.

As for de Vries, well, he's a mixed bag. We all know his strengths - Hold up play, which is maximised when the ball is played to his feet or chest and not his head. He's also very good at turning players using his strength and/or laying the ball off for others. However, his lack of pace restricts him. If he was better in the air, then he wouldn't have half the criticism he's been receiving. As for attacking and defending, he's not particularly effective from them. I can only remember him scoring from one corner (Coventry at home) and there have been many times where he's been responsible for us conceding from corners.

One of the best attacking headers of the ball I've seen during my time at Filbo was David Speedie. He's barely as tall as me, as well.

I think people can focus too much on one thing. At the moment we are poor, not because we lack an aerial threat, but because we lack any threat at all. We could have Steve Walsh in his prime at the moment, but he would be of no use, as many of our corners fail to beat the first man.

Even with Dublin in the team we do let goals in on set pieces!! For me it's an issue of focus and concentration, which some of our players tend to lack in crucial moments within a game, but against the better teams, city seem to be completely focused. For me it's a motivation thing, they don't seem to want it so bad against the drab in this division hence lapse's will happen. Hence to put it bluntly, Levien is unable to get the best out of his players week in week out!!!

Archived