Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

New Eriksson Allegations

New allegations in Eriksson saga

England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson told the News of the World newspaper that three unnamed English Premiership clubs are riddled with corruption. The Swede and his agent Athole Still are reported to have named the clubs in a meeting with an undercover journalist from the Sunday newspaper.

Eriksson has already announced his intention to sue the paper following last week's story that he will quit the England job after the World Cup.

For legal reasons of their own, the News of the World does not name the Premiership clubs in question, but does provide a series of clues as to who they are.

Eriksson, who is under contract as England coach until 2008, was on an FA-sanctioned trip to Dubai when he is said to have been contacted by rich Arab who said he wanted to discuss a coaching job at a new football academy in Dubai.

He is said to have told this man, a celebrated undercover reporter, that Aston Villa was for sale, that England captain David Beckham would return to play in England if Eriksson asked him to, and that striker Michael Owen was not happy at Newcastle.

He is also reported to have said he would like to be paid as much as Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, the top earner in the Premiership

The reporter in question, Mazher Mahmood, has a track record of trapping public figures in embarrassing stings.

Among other big names caught out by the "Fake Sheikh" are England rugby star Lawrence Dallaglio and the Countess of Wessex.

More soon.

More will be posted when the article is updated.

I'm seriosuly starting to question this guy's cofidentality commitments. I know this new stuff is irrelevant but he should shut up together unless he knows who he is talking to.

He should shut his mouth, and I'm surprised that he hasn't learned better yet... but come on, what's the big surprise here?!

If he wins the World Cup with England, what more can he achieve? That's the pinnacle of football success.

Aston Villa for sale? There have been takeover talks with that club for a while now, no?? Wow, big inside scoop there, News of the World!

He wants to make as much money as Mourinho? Who doesn't?

There have also been rumblings in the press about Owen possibly being unhappy at Newcastle several times this season.

And as for the talk about "corrupt" clubs, the percentage of "corrupt" clubs in the Premiership relative to the percentage of large corporations in all fields is probably very similar. That doesn't make it OK, but it's no surprise that some people would use underhanded tactics to get a bigger share of all the money that's in this sport. I'd also guess that agents have a lot to do with this, but that's not just a problem in the Premiership--it affects all of the League clubs.

what really makes me sick is the NOTW yes Sven was a silly boy for doing this but they are clearly trying to unsettle the England team and management in a World Cup year when they should be getting behind the team and trying to build confidence and spur the lads on to victory this summer!!!

I hate the tabloid press they are scumbags of the highest possible order

what really makes me sick is the NOTW yes Sven was a silly boy for doing this but they are clearly trying to unsettle the England team and management in a World Cup year when they should be getting behind the team and trying to build confidence and spur the lads on to victory this summer!!!

I hate the tabloid press they are scumbags of the highest possible order

Should the NOTW not be doing everything they can to unsettle england? - Thereby helping Australia

Archived