Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Janx

My Two penneth

how times change look at wat there on now :ph34r:

Too true. Local legend Stan Hodges, was another who remained part-time and clocked up over 20 years service as centre-back for Loughborough Brush and Loughborough United because he was better off being given a job atthe Brush engineering works and getting part timers wages from playing non-League football. He could have gone to various League clubs and I'll never forget him. He was huge and a fixture at United. And I put my togs on his peg the first time I turned up as a middle teenager!. Bad mistake. :(:(

Too true. Local legend Stan Hodges, was another who remained part-time and clocked up over 20 years service as centre-back for Loughborough Brush and Loughborough United because he was better off being given a job atthe Brush engineering works and getting part timers wages from playing non-League football. He could have gone to various League clubs and I'll never forget him. He was huge and a fixture at United. And I put my togs on his peg the first time I turned up as a middle teenager!. Bad mistake. :(:(

Do you know which part of Brush he worked at and when...

Do you know which part of Brush he worked at and when...

It was in the 60's and perhaps even the late 50's. I never knew the department - all I ever really knew about Brush was that it built locos - but lots of old timers around the town will remember his name. He played on the old Brown's Lane ground, long since bulldozed.

It was in the 60's and perhaps even the late 50's. I never knew the department - all I ever really knew about Brush was that it built locos - but lots of old timers around the town will remember his name. He played on the old Brown's Lane ground, long since bulldozed.

My Dad worked for Brush traction between 1959-1995... I must ask him.

My Dad worked for Brush traction between 1959-1995... I must ask him.

I'd almost guarantee he'd either know him or no of him. There were lots of Brush employees connected to Lougborough United both as players and as club committee members.

Yes they did. He turned them down to remain a builder. Football wages were nothing special in those days.

Weren't you ranting on about the importance of following the dream? Or were your dreams of being a bloody builder so, at the end of your career, rather than explaining the games behind the trophies you could brag how you bilked some granny out of a grand for some shoddy brickwork?

Weren't you ranting on about the importance of following the dream? Or were your dreams of being a bloody builder so, at the end of your career, rather than explaining the games behind the trophies you could brag how you bilked some granny out of a grand for some shoddy brickwork?

It wasn't my decision to make! And why other people choose to go in a certain direction is their business.

And why other people choose to go in a certain direction is their business.

It might be their business but, if so, it seems that you like to poke your nose in and judge:

Loads of people do nothing in their lives, or live their lives through others, because they don't have the belief

or the bottle to follow dreams.

Instead, they are forever neutralised by thoughts of losing/giving up their job and their comfortable security or being sacked. Being scared is not just about physical things, like heights as you cling to the side of a mountain, it can also be mental fear of the unknown.

Life's only shit if you let it be and football's just the same. Football is all about fairy tales and if you don't believe in them then in my view you're in danger of losing your soul and the motive power within you that makes life so potentially exciting.

It might be their business but, if so, it seems that you like to poke your nose in and judge:

What a long memory! Yes, that's my view and still is, but I don't know what Neil Stewart's view was because he certainly didn't lack belief or bottle. He might have had all sorts of valid reasons. Nor was I judging anyone. I was simply expressing an opinion, as you have.

Archived