Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Janx

My Two penneth

I think that we need a couple of time served 28-32 year olds to take us up....

Quality players down the spine, perhaps one in Midfield, goal and defence... yeah thats a spine durr.

If you look at the teams that did well and went up, they had plenty of experience and youth at their disposal..

I am NOT talking about a return to the Micky Adams Darby and Joan Club days, but think that these young guys need a bit of experience from people who have won things, been up and down the leagues etc.

OK on with the slating!! :ermm::ph34r:

Quality players down the spine, perhaps one in Midfield, goal and defence... yeah thats a spine durr.

If you look at the teams that did well and went up, they had plenty of experience and youth at their disposal..

I am NOT talking about a return to the Micky Adams Darby and Joan Club days, but think that these young guys need a bit of experience from people who have won things, been up and down the leagues etc.

I quite agree young Jankington.

I agree aswell. We have plenty of youngsters in our squad, but to be honest it shouldn't be about age as such. We need now need 2 new midfielders atleast and age is of no relevance for these two positions, what both of them must be is good enough to improve our team. Preferrably they'd have more than 1 or 2 seasons left in them but as you say even if they are approaching their 30's it isn't a problrm aslong as they are good enough for us.

I agree aswell. We have plenty of youngsters in our squad, but to be honest it shouldn't be about age as such. We need now need 2 new midfielders atleast and age is of no relevance for these two positions, what both of them must be is good enough to improve our team. Preferrably they'd have more than 1 or 2 seasons left in them but as you say even if they are approaching their 30's it isn't a problrm aslong as they are good enough for us.

We must bring in a couple of midfielders and certainly a left winger who have enough quality and desire to have instant impact. Experience is probably a key thing here. I was a bit dissappointed we missed out on Lunt to be honest with you. For the left wing spot, I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in the guy from Brighton, either wing actually. Neither are even that old.

Indeed that certainly is a great age bracket!!

of course anyone over that is well and truely past it hey Janx!! :whistle:

I think we lost a lot of the midfield battles not just last season, but for some time. There are a number of reasons for this, inexperience is just one.

Although I'm with Louise on this one... :ph34r:

Tiatto was a midfielder last season - he was hardly ever there and when he was we hardly ever won.

So here's to age and experience I don't think. This forum has come up with enough of old timers who could potentially play for us to make up and entire dad's army.

Not too long ago we had Wilcox, when did he ever play when he wasn't injured, then there was Keown - what better pedigree do you want - and what good did he do us - or Rufus Brevett. We've even talked of signing the near lame Muzzy Izzett again...the list goes on and on over recent seasons.

What is it with you people. Adams had a team full of footballing pensioners - didn't you all have enough for God sake.

Youth, fitness, vigour, enthusiasm, ambition, energy, indomitable self belief comes from people on the way up not people on the way down.

Who the bloody hell wants niggling old injuries, cynicism, people who need to miss training because their ageing limbs won't stand anything more than the physios massage, journeymen trying to kid people they're worth another season or two.

What we want is winners. People with ideas and the drive and determination to make them work. People like Chris O'Grady who spend endless extra hours improving some minor flaw in his game, people with speed, stamina and skill, people determined to make a name for themselves.

People like Hume and Fryatt and Stearman and McCarthy and Kisnorbo and others who wear their hearts on their sleeve and are seen to roll their sleeves up week in, week out.

There's not an old man among em but give me six more like the five mentioned and we'll win things.

If Ferguson has listened to Alan Hansen half his best United side would still be breaking through to the team.

Look at our best players this last season - a season when the chips were down and we needed players of character.

All our best players were youngsters or relatively young - even Joey wasn't anywhere need the age of some who've been quoted.

What the hell did Tiatto, Dublin, Wilcox, Douglas do for us that was worth mentioning in despatches?

Young and hungry was the policy. Have we lost faith already!

Tiatto was a midfielder last season - he was hardly ever there and when he was we hardly ever won.

So here's to age and experience I don't think. This forum has come up with enough of old timers who could potentially play for us to make up and entire dad's army.

Not too long ago we had Wilcox, when did he ever play when he wasn't injured, then there was Keown - what better pedigree do you want - and what good did he do us - or Rufus Brevett. We've even talked of signing the near lame Muzzy Izzett again...the list goes on and on over recent seasons.

What is it with you people. Adams had a team full of footballing pensioners - didn't you all have enough for God sake.

Youth, fitness, vigour, enthusiasm, ambition, energy, indomitable self belief comes from people on the way up not people on the way down.

Who the bloody hell wants niggling old injuries, cynicism, people who need to miss training because their ageing limbs won't stand anything more than the physios massage, journeymen trying to kid people they're worth another season or two.

What we want is winners. People with ideas and the drive and determination to make them work. People like Chris O'Grady who spend endless extra hours improving some minor flaw in his game, people with speed, stamina and skill, people determined to make a name for themselves.

People like Hume and Fryatt and Stearman and McCarthy and Kisnorbo and others who wear their hearts on their sleeve and are seen to roll their sleeves up week in, week out.

There's not an old man among em but give me six more like the five mentioned and we'll win things.

If Ferguson has listened to Alan Hansen half his best United side would still be breaking through to the team.

Look at our best players this last season - a season when the chips were down and we needed players of character.

All our best players were youngsters or relatively young - even Joey wasn't anywhere need the age of some who've been quoted.

What the hell did Tiatto, Dublin, Wilcox, Douglas do for us that was worth mentioning in despatches?

agreed , well most of it . 1 or 2 senior players maybe would steady the ship if others around were losing heads . lets not forget the key roles billy mckinlay and brian deane played in our promotion season.

saying that i agree the young and hungry policy shud remain

agreed , well most of it . 1 or 2 senior players maybe would steady the ship if others around were losing heads . lets not forget the key roles billy mckinlay and brian deane played in our promotion season.

Young and hungry should be the policy and we do need to keep that ethos around the place.

However, we do need some players who are going to make impact NOW. Even if it is a short term solution whilst Wesolowski and others grow in to their roles.

Not to mention the roles played by Walker, Elliott, Taggart, Sinclair, Dickov, etc...

The problem with having a squad exclusively of young players, as some on here appear to advocate, is that the side would inevitably be prone to large fluctuations in form, which some sections of the support wouldn't tolerate.

Although we need a nucleus of young talent to form the backbone of a side capable of competing in the Premiership within the next five years, in the short term we also need a couple of older heads to provide guidance on the park.

Whether these could be attracted to us on the terms currently on offer, remains to be seen... :unsure:

Cool yer boots old timer!!

I agree in principle, but you know that you can never win anything with kids!

And Jay..... one word KOff!! :thumbup:

Whatever. The squad as it stands is not large enough to sustain any kind of consistancy over a 46 game season. Likewaie there is no competition for some places = unhealthy.

Young and vigourous, hungry, etc, etc. Yes very nice if we can get them at a price we can afford. Quality is what counts, irrespective of age, quality and commitment to the cause.

We are 3-4 short in trems of numbers. RK knows that and he knows where we are short too. But its a fiercely comepetive transfer market around the Championship and the teams with a bit of dosh will have the advantage.

Now if you can buy a big slice of luck too..........................

Your right, but if you think things through abit, we are missing some experience. Experience means bugger all if the players with it aren't good enough any longer but nobody is saying they want us to bring in 1 or 2 older players irrespective of how good they are, that would just be silly. However, I will re-iterate that should there be a 28-32 year old central midfielder or around that age bracket available that will improve this team and drive us forward then i'd be more than happy to have them here. Age means nothing, it's how good they are. We had a massive problem with the age of our squad under Adams, that has now been sorted. So signing 1 or 2 players that aren't under 24 isn't such a bad thing, the only bad thing is to sign players that aren't going to improve our side.

I hate it how people have a stigma attached to someone's age regarding football. Whether it's they are too young to play because they aren't experienced or they are too old which means they aren't 'vibrant' enough. What matters is we constantly try to improve our team, we now have a nucleus of good young players that will get better and better over the years should they stay here, if we can't find anymore of similar ilk in our budget then we should look to see what is available and if there are some players that will improve our team then bring them in, even if they are touching 30!. We are onlt talking about 1 possibly 2 players here Thrac, not a barrel full like Adams bought us.

But the other half of that side team were scarcely made up from the youth team, were they? Bruce was 35, Scheichel was in his 30s, Cantona, Irwin and Pallister were all 29/30.

Archived