Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shipman Out

High standard Championship

Saints land Skacel in £1.6m deal

Skacel joins forces again with Saints boss George Burley

Southampton have completed the signing of Hearts' Czech Republic midfielder Rudi Skacel for £1.6m.

Skacel links up again with former Hearts boss George Burley who has been chasing the playmaker for some time.

Burley said: "We waited a long time to sign but he'll be worth it, he's a big character who'll be a crowd favourite."

While at Hearts, the current Saints boss signed Skacel from Marseilles and he made an immediate impact at Tynecastle by scoring in each of his first eight games.

Burley added: "He did fantastically when I was at Hearts and he will be a big asset for this club.

"To get promotion you need players who can score goals from all over the pitch and I'm confident he can he can get into double figures from midfield."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rasiak, Bradley Wright Phillips and now Skacel! and thats just Southampton. Clubs have improved since last season finding some money to spend (norwich,derby) and add to that West Brom with there players, Sunderland and Birmingham with all the Pennant money going back into the transfer kitty

I cant believe no Premiership club went in for Skacel he scores plenty of goals thats our problem where will the goals come from apart from the forwards?

The Championship looks very strong next season, im looking forward to the challenge.

The saints' deal isn't being funded from a parachute payment, but has more to do with the money they got off Arsenal for Theo Walcott last season.

They'll be a strong side next season. I expect them and the brummies to be fighting it out for the title.

The saints' deal isn't being funded from a parachute payment, but has more to do with the money they got off Arsenal for Theo Walcott last season.

They'll be a strong side next season. I expect them and the brummies to be fighting it out for the title.

And some from the Crouch deal as well. A potential total of £19 million received from those two players alone. :o

I'd certainly be surprised if they didn't reach the play-offs next season. George Burley has got an eye for a player and encourages good football.

You would also think that West Brom would be challenging, especially with the players at their disposal. However, I don't rate Robson as a manager, so there's every chance they'll fock up along the way.

George Burley has got an eye for a player

Part of the reason Ipswich ended up in administration was Burley's 'eye for a player'. He went on a buying spree where no donkey was safe unless it was securely tethered, ending up with a relegated team and a squad of useless, overpaid oafs that no-one would touch. It was no surprise that him and Ipswich parted company.

Part of the reason Ipswich ended up in administration was Burley's 'eye for a player'. He went on a buying spree where no donkey was safe unless it was securely tethered, ending up with a relegated team and a squad of useless, overpaid oafs that no-one would touch. It was no surprise that him and Ipswich parted company.

Every manager makes mistakes, but on the whole, Burley tends to get it right most of the time. Something you can't say for a lot of managers.

they have bought quality though

imo rudi skacel is unproven. he was a big fish in a small scottish pond. Rasiak, from what i have seen is a donkey and again a big fish in a small derbyshite pond. bradley wright phillips i cant comment on but if they're just paying for the name (living off his big bros fame maybe?!).

imo rudi skacel is unproven. he was a big fish in a small scottish pond. Rasiak, from what i have seen is a donkey and again a big fish in a small derbyshite pond. bradley wright phillips i cant comment on but if they're just paying for the name (living off his big bros fame maybe?!).

I also believe Skacel is unproven. He has shown that he can score goals from midfield, but he can be moody at times as well and his form dipped, especially after Burley left Hearts. It'll be interesting to see if Burley can get 100% from him all season long.

And some from the Crouch deal as well. A potential total of £19 million received from those two players alone. :o

I'd certainly be surprised if they didn't reach the play-offs next season. George Burley has got an eye for a player and encourages good football.

You would also think that West Brom would be challenging, especially with the players at their disposal. However, I don't rate Robson as a manager, so there's every chance they'll fock up along the way.

Robson's got a good record at this level though. He took Middlesbrough up twice.

Robson's got a good record at this level though. He took Middlesbrough up twice.

But he's always had financial backing at 'Boro.

With West Brom, he's been able to retain most of the players from last season, so he shouldn't have any excuse. However, given the quality at his disposal last season, Robson should have kept them up, or at least come a lot closer.

Archived