Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nebdingo

Let's enjoy our up-and-down life

The first M69 derby of the season is almost upon us, though I'm still not sure where this fits into the general scheme of things.

For any City fans near the south-west border of Leicestershire or in Rugby, Nuneaton or Bedworth, this really is the big one without a doubt.

Royal Blue versus Sky Blue is Rangers v Celtic, Montagues and Capulets.

However, for those Foxes who live in Leicester, or the north of the county bordering Derby and Forest territory, the Coventry fixture comes a distant third and they are genuinely struggling to overcome their indifference.

I cannot think of another example in football rivalry where a club's fans direct their dislike evenly in three different directions.

The case for Coventry being our biggest rivals gained some ground last season when 5,000-plus City fans made their first trip to the Ricoh Stadium in April.

But, sadly, Sky TV scheduling has ensured that those numbers will not travel this time for a Friday night televised game.

But perhaps the fact that these two similar-sized cities have never shared the rivalry that geography would suggest they should is because the two clubs' supporters are coming from two very different backgrounds.

I do not think it can be in any dispute that Leicester City are a Yo-yo club with a wildly up-and-down existence.

Coventry are the exact opposite. Promoted in 1967, they held on to their top-flight status for an incredible 34 seasons.

Many times their grip looked about to fail.

They finished 20th, 19th and 18th an amazing number of times but there were always enough clubs below them to save them from the drop.

The gravity-defying act finally failed in the 2000-01 season and the celebrations in south-west Leicestershire were loud and long.

In that period of time City had been relegated and promoted five times.

They suffered the drop in 68-69, 77-78, 80-81, 86-87, and 94-5 and went back up in 70-71, 79-80, 82-83, 93-94 and 95-96.

And, of course, the year after the Sky Blues went down, we joined them again. Then, for good measure, City went up again (02-03) and down again (03-04).

All credit to Coventry for what remains a fantastic achievement, but would you swap places with them? Would you have missed out on all those fantastic promotion celebrations and play-off finals and our roller-coaster existence for a permanent place among the big clubs? I don't think I would.

Source

My driver, a Chelsea fan all his life actually said to me that he wishes he supported another team sometimes. He said he never would actually change, but the club has changed from struggling against relegation to the old Div 3 with gates of 7,000 to a club with a really bad attitude and sky high prices. He does not like what the club has become, but being a Chelsea born lad, he will never turn his back on them. But he doesn't go to as many matches, and doesn't enjoy it when he does.....

I think us Leicester fans are lucky. Not for us the dull 'Win the title every season' boredom. Nor having to share our ground with thousands of new 'Fans'.

Hurrah for Yo Yo, long may we continue to enthrall and depress.

good write up Ned.

no i love my memories of wembley 96 and 2000 (both of which i still have memorablia from) and remember seeing grown men cry as a group for the 1st time in 1999 :(

the stories we have of wembley 94 when walshie blasted the rams away, the scenes of hillsborough 97 when walshie lifts his and leicesters first major footballing trophy.

the nerveousnes (SP?) of our 1st season in the prem under MON, how will we do and will we finish 17th or not....

the downs under P*t*r T*yl*r and up again with Mickeh Adams were a roller coaster of a ride. changing to a new stadium after recent successes.

all this has been within my lifetime, and theres alot of other stories to tell. the 3-3 at filbo with the arse, 2-1 vs spurs in the last game at filbo. my first game at filbo vs wimbledon and we won 1-0 (i think?!), sat in the small stand next to the away fans.

i wouldnt switch places with cov or any team for the world.

on the other hand i live in syston and for some reason my order of rivalry goes

1. Cov

2. Derby

3. Forest

My driver , a Chelsea fan all his life actually said to me that he wishes he supported another team sometimes. He said he never would actually change, but the club has changed from struggling against relegation to the old Div 3 with gates of 7,000 to a club with a really bad attitude and sky high prices. He does not like what the club has become, but being a Chelsea born lad, he will never turn his back on them. But he doesn't go to as many matches, and doesn't enjoy it when he does.....

I think us Leicester fans are lucky. Not for us the dull 'Win the title every season' boredom. Nor having to share our ground with thousands of new 'Fans'.

Hurrah for Yo Yo, long may we continue to enthrall and depress.

You have a driver :pinch: :o

You have a driver :pinch: :o

lol, yes I do. Our company uses him to ferry our employees to and from the airport (Our Head Office is in Holland), and seeing as I am the 'Flying Rep' in our company (I cover Ireland, N Ireland and Scotland/N England), I use him more than most.... Cheaper than paying me 45p/mile and a week of airport parking.

I ain't posh really! :cool::rolleyes:

Archived