Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bigneville

Andy Johnson

Been no where near as usefull as he has been at West Brom, not been as bad as some have made out though, kind of player 9/10 football fans wont apperciate as they don't understand the game properly.

Hark at You!! who died and made you football guru of the world I understand the game more than enough mate, what you seem to forget is that this is a forum and other people have views and YOURS aren’t always right

I find it insulting to you could even post such a comment

Hark at You!! who died and made you football guru of the world I understand the game more than enough mate, what you seem to forget is that this is a forum and other people have views and YOURS aren’t always right

Calm down Rossinda - it's only a commercial. :whistle::D:D:D

Who said you didn't understand the game. I said 9/10 and I dont remember mentioning your name anywhere.

I can see where you're coming from Manwell but he reminds me too much of Lilian Nalis. Depresses me that we are still plumbing the depths with players of this kind of quality. Those supporting him are so vague about his plus points that it's hard to have a proper argument about it.

I'll tell you what i see in him Fez, to see if you disagree and maybe try to understand why i like him as a player.

Firstly i think his work-rate is one of the best among the team. I also feel that he takes up all the roles in the team that a lot of other players tend to shy away from. Putting himself into positions which take up great bravery and battling techinques.

Now I agree his passing is limited to a lot of short range stuff as his long range stuff is no way near the likes of Beckham. But when he keeps it short it allows the more dangerous men in the team to be able to create.

I like his short passing, keeping it simple.

I feel he also provides some leadership on the pitch with some technical advice behind Paddy's more inspirational talk.

So maybe it doesnt sound much to some. But i think he's proved before he can be a good player at this level and above.

And i feel given time to regain his match fitness levels to a level he would deem normal for himself after a season of injuries last year, he will prove that its not him sitting in for Wesolowski.

I can see where you're coming from Manwell but he reminds me too much of Lilian Nalis. Depresses me that we are still plumbing the depths with players of this kind of quality. Those supporting him are so vague about his plus points that it's hard to have a proper argument about it.

There’s nothing to support the blokes been distinctly average since he arrived here. However he's not been as bad as some have made out, he has made a few contributions sitting in midfield attempting to run the pace of the game (not with massive success as of yet) and tackling back, knocking a few pass's around. I would think there is more to come from him.

He's only been here a month, give him time to settle. Soon as Weso's back to his best he will need to produce some vintage Andy Johnson performances or he wont be in the side.

I'll tell you what i see in him Fez, to see if you disagree and maybe try to understand why i like him as a player.

Firstly i think his work-rate is one of the best among the team. I also feel that he takes up all the roles in the team that a lot of other players tend to shy away from. Putting himself into positions which take up great bravery and battling techinques.

Now I agree his passing is limited to a lot of short range stuff as his long range stuff is no way near the likes of Beckham. But when he keeps it short it allows the more dangerous men in the team to be able to create.

I like his short passing, keeping it simple.

I feel he also provides some leadership on the pitch with some technical advice behind Paddy's more inspirational talk.

So maybe it doesnt sound much to some. But i think he's proved before he can be a good player at this level and above.

And i feel given time to regain his match fitness levels to a level he would deem normal for himself after a season of injuries last year, he will prove that its not him sitting in for Wesolowski.

There’s nothing to support the blokes been distinctly average since he arrived here. However he's not been as bad as some have made out, he has made a few contributions sitting in midfield attempting to run the pace of the game (not with massive success as of yet) and tackling back, knocking a few pass's around. I would think there is more to come from him.

He's only been here a month, give him time to settle. Soon as Weso's back to his best he will need to produce some vintage Andy Johnson performances or he wont be in the side.

It's all very well trying to dictate tempo but our players aren't technically good enough to knock it around like Brazil. We need to play at a quick tempo, getting in and among the opposition and forcing errors. Johnson just hasn't got that urgency. That's why Gudjonsson proved such a success last season. Not only did he hustle and harry the opposing midfielders but he was able to then play in Fryatt or Hume through the middle for most of our goals under Kelly. Johnson is an average player. I'm not knocking his previous achievements but like you both say, it doesn't matter what he's done in the past because he has an incredibly exciting young midfielder who will push him all the way for his starting place and if he doesn't buck up his ideas in the next couple of games then he will be out.

It's all very well trying to dictate tempo but our players aren't technically good enough to knock it around like Brazil. We need to play at a quick tempo, getting in and among the opposition and forcing errors. Johnson just hasn't got that urgency. That's why Gudjonsson proved such a success last season. Not only did he hustle and harry the opposing midfielders but he was able to then play in Fryatt or Hume through the middle for most of our goals under Kelly. Johnson is an average player. I'm not knocking his previous achievements but like you both say, it doesn't matter what he's done in the past because he has an incredibly exciting young midfielder who will push him all the way for his starting place and if he doesn't buck up his ideas in the next couple of games then he will be out.

I agree with you that he must buck up his ideas, in our standards and within his own standards. I just feel people are being incredibly harsh on a player with a history of a decent level of football, to be replaced in midfield not only by Wesolowski (Which i dont mind so much) but also by Iain Hume.

As you know i've stated why i like Johnson. I just want to see him given a chance to prove he can perform, before he is completely written off.

I do feel though that he does get in and around hassle's the opposition, and agreed his passing isnt the standard of Joey. But he's not a Joey replacement. He was brought in at the start of the season to take away defensive responsibilities from Williams, maybe to in order to get him to play.

That didnt work out as we've found out.

But we cant have a team of 4 defenders and 6 attack minded players. We need that defensive cog in the midfield. I think Johnson has the attributes to be a success there. And in the long run provide some great tips and ideas for his long term replacement Wesolowski.

Who said you didn't understand the game. I said 9/10 and I dont remember mentioning your name anywhere.

No you are right, you didn't mention any ones name, my point is you where implying that 9/10 or 90% of us if you want to look at it that way, didn't understand the game. That only leaves a very small amount in your view who do (do I take it that I am in that small amount that do then) ok, enough, that’s the end of the matter before we start insulting each other …right we can be friends and fellow supports again now

"Andy Johnson 06/07 Player of the Season Sweepstake"

It all becomes clear :D

Seriously though, it doesn't matter what he's done in the past. Pele was a decent player once but you wouldn't want him up front for us now. Johnson just looks far too slow for my liking. I'm not "writing him off", I'm just stating that his performances aren't good enough.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter what he's done in the past. Pele was a decent player once but you wouldn't want him up front for us now. Johnson just looks far too slow for my liking. I'm not "writing him off", I'm just stating that his performances aren't good enough.

I agree with what your saying. I was just getting annoyed with people writing him off after 5 games and saying they wanted him replaced with a striker in midfield

:mad:

Respect your views Fez....

At least you back up your arguments instead of just calling him a long haired girly named freak..

I agree with what your saying. I was just getting annoyed with people writing him off after 5 games and saying they wanted him replaced with a striker in midfield

:mad:

Respect your views Fez....

At least you back up your arguments instead of just calling him a long haired girly named freak..

Just one more point - I do see the need for a defensive midfielder, my side included Weso as the holding player and Hume as the more attacking midfielder. In that respect Hume would be a replacement for Hughes or Williams, not Johnson. I was happy with Johnson's signing at the time and that kind of disciplined defensive midfielder is the most important position in the team in my opinion. I suppose that's partly why I'm critical of Johnson, because I see it as such an important role.

:thumbup:

Just one more point - I do see the need for a defensive midfielder, my side included Weso as the holding player and Hume as the more attacking midfielder. In that respect Hume would be a replacement for Hughes or Williams, not Johnson. I was happy with Johnson's signing at the time and that kind of disciplined defensive midfielder is the most important position in the team in my opinion. I suppose that's partly why I'm critical of Johnson, because I see it as such an important role.

:thumbup:

Do you not think Weso and AJ could play together?

Like a Gilberto and Vierra style connection?>

Do you not think Weso and AJ could play together?

Like a Gilberto and Vierra style connection?>

Could do. I just like the idea of Hume as the attacking central midfielder because he has the pace to get up and support the forwards, the one thing we have been lacking so far this season. Williams hasn't got it, Hughes only bothers sometimes. If Weso can do it then fair enough. It will be interesting to see where Weso fits into Kelly's plans once he's fully fit.

Could do. I just like the idea of Hume as the attacking central midfielder because he has the pace to get up and support the forwards, the one thing we have been lacking so far this season. Williams hasn't got it, Hughes only bothers sometimes. If Weso can do it then fair enough. It will be interesting to see where Weso fits into Kelly's plans once he's fully fit.

I guess i just dont see how Hume could play in that position. He's never shown me any reason to think he'll be a success there. I see his pace is a threat, but i think its the best threat on the shoulder of a defender. I do agree though that Williams just doesnt care and Hughes needs to be more consistent to gain the regular starting berth.

I would like to see Wesolowski in the more creative role. With Andy Johnson behind him. If it doesnt work i would hold my hands up and admit i was wrong.

Yeah i'm not too sure how he see's Wesolowski. Although he did brand him in the same bracket at Andy Johnson before the season.

I guess i just dont see how Hume could play in that position. He's never shown me any reason to think he'll be a success there. I see his pace is a threat, but i think its the best threat on the shoulder of a defender. I do agree though that Williams just doesnt care and Hughes needs to be more consistent to gain the regular starting berth.

I would like to see Wesolowski in the more creative role. With Andy Johnson behind him. If it doesnt work i would hold my hands up and admit i was wrong.

Yeah i'm not too sure how he see's Wesolowski. Although he did brand him in the same bracket at Andy Johnson before the season.

For me Hume has all the attributes to play the attacking midfield role. He's got the combative nature of a midfielder and the attacking instincts of a striker, he can score from distance, his linkup play is good and he will run at defenders. He tends to drift out of games sometimes playing up front, especially away from home. I think if you have Fryatt and O'Grady higher up the pitch to hold up the ball, Hume can concentrate on winning the knockdowns and making supporting runs. I haven't always thought this way but the more I see Fryatt being frustrated by the lack of support from midfield and the languid way Williams in particular struts around the pitch when he is meant to be included as the less defensive midfielder shall we say, the more I like the idea of Hume playing behind Fryatt and O'Grady. Plenty of teams play with midfielders who don't get stuck in. With Hume not only do you get an attacking player, you also get someone who will work 110% for the team and not give anyone any time on the ball.

For me Hume has all the attributes to play the attacking midfield role. He's got the combative nature of a midfielder and the attacking instincts of a striker, he can score from distance, his linkup play is good and he will run at defenders. He tends to drift out of games sometimes playing up front, especially away from home. I think if you have Fryatt and O'Grady higher up the pitch to hold up the ball, Hume can concentrate on winning the knockdowns and making supporting runs. I haven't always thought this way but the more I see Fryatt being frustrated by the lack of support from midfield and the languid way Williams in particular struts around the pitch when he is meant to be included as the less defensive midfielder shall we say, the more I like the idea of Hume playing behind Fryatt and O'Grady. Plenty of teams play with midfielders who don't get stuck in. With Hume not only do you get an attacking player, you also get someone who will work 110% for the team and not give anyone any time on the ball.

When you put it like that, it does seem like a great idea. I just feel he may get drawn into the attacking end of the field all the time. Leaving us over-stretched in the midfield area. Away from home this being a a big problem. Maybe it could work at home. But away from home i'd prefer to see two more naturally defensive midfielders with attacking width to supply support.

Now you put it like that. I do see the argument for playing him there. Maybe i'm more of a believer in letting attackers attack and keep them out of the way of the real football playing that happens in the middle of the park.

but the question is do you want all that at the expence of johnson?

Agreed he's just far too sluggish at the moment. If this is a fitness issue then it is understandable given his lack of games last season but it just looks like age is catching up with him and he's lost that all important half a yeard of pace you need in midfield.

Archived