Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bigneville

Andy Johnson

I think the biggest problem he has right now is not being Joey Gudjonsson.

But a lot of folk forget how dire Joey was in his early months with us.

As I said in an earlier thread, Johnson played very little last season and is still regaining match fitness. We'll probably not see the best of him for another few weeks.

If he can regain the form he showed in promotion sides at West Brom, he'll be the experienced hand this team needs, as well as a useful mentor for Weso.

rubbish,

looking at this thread makes me wonder how many understand football.

in my playing days an andy johnson are worth there wait in gold.

wake up and understand the game...

Makes you laugh if you think the way Johnson has been playing is worth his weight in gold.. Get real. He is not putting enough in in games. Possibly fools gold.

Makes you laugh if you think the way Johnson has been playing is worth his weight in gold.. Get real. He is not putting enough in in games. Possibly fools gold.

it was just a figure of speech(weight in gold).

but he is the best we have got whos fit at this moment in time so we should just get behind him.

How can anyone complain about him not being attacking enough ? he is a defensive midfielder. Its up to Hughes or Williams to provide the attacking threat. Its like Chelsea fans having a pop at Makelele for not scoring enough goals. Thats not what he is in the team for. He is there to break up the play and give it simple, something Johnson did ok on sat.

How can anyone complain about him not being attacking enough ? he is a defensive midfielder. Its up to Hughes or Williams to provide the attacking threat. Its like Chelsea fans having a pop at Makelele for not scoring enough goals. Thats not what he is in the team for. He is there to break up the play and give it simple, something Johnson did ok on sat.

You don't have to be an attacking midfielder to have an attacking mindset though, in a way that will benefit the team overall. If it's just a case of holding your position in front of the back four, tackling and playing simple passes then I'd like to think our club can get someone who can do that while also having a bit of pace and trying to keep attacks going as well rather than always looking back when he gets the ball. Hopefully Weso will do this. I think Johnson's lack of pace and the way he always slows attacks down just when we look dangerous will turn out to be a crucial hindrance this season. We'll see though.

He seems a yard off the pace and he knows it. Just like Dublin, so what he does to hide that is wave his arms about all the while to our other midfielders as if it shows he's dictating play. When in reality he couldn't dictate a two sentance essay.

Not impressed so far, trys to play the long Beckham-esque pass too often when a simple short ball would do and overhits the long ball, plus he slows us down a bit I think, not as tenacious as Gudjonsson was or as Wesolowski is, decent squad player though for the time being as we really dont have many other options while Weso is regaining fitness.

Not impressed so far, trys to play the long Beckham-esque pass too often when a simple short ball would do and overhits the long ball, plus he slows us down a bit I think, not as tenacious as Gudjonsson was or as Wesolowski is, decent squad player though for the time being as we really dont have many other options while Weso is regaining fitness.

I think the long ball is often a symptom of a guy whose legs don't fancy the idea of shorter give and goes.

There's no doubt Johnson can sometimes play searching passess but too often they result in lost possession and while variety is unquestionably important on occasions, I'd sooner have the reliable give and go passers like Wesolowski, Porter, and O'Grady any time.

Football hasn't got many Alan Hinton's, Glen Hoddles, Matt LeTissiers, or David Gibsons and Leicester City haven't got any.

Ok AJ was brought in as a defensive Midfielder.

Well on his past performances he hasn’t showed and great abundance to back that up.

Look. He’s to slow (whether used in his defensive or attacking duties) not a great passer of the ball, seems only able to pass sideways and his “long†ball is woeful, yes he slows attacks down, he doesn’t seem to wake up until about 60 Mins. (Hello AJ we need you for the full 90 mate!, maybe if we paided you pro rata for the minutes you are awake and active we MIGHT see an improvement) overall JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.*

And yes I would much rather see an attacking style of team any day too one with AJ in it

(* sorry for the shouting Guy’s and Girls)

I can't say I've been overly impressed with him so far. However, he needs to be given time to get used to the way we play. For me, he hasn't asserted himself in the way I thought he would - whether that's down to confidence or fitness time will tell.

A lot of people on here were impressed with his signing in the summer, and for good reason. He has shown with West Brom that he's more than a capable player in this division.

He's never had pace, so that's not an issue. The gripe seems to be with his passing, which admittedly hasn't been as expected. Defensively, he's doing fine, and that is partly reflected with us being tighter during the past 3 league games, giving Kisnorbo and McCarthy good cover.

Also, I don't feel Hughes has helped him much. He never seems to take a game by the scruff of the next, despite showing decent patches of play.

Been no where near as usefull as he has been at West Brom, not been as bad as some have made out though, kind of player 9/10 football fans wont apperciate as they don't understand the game properly.

I agree mainly Manwell. I think the main problem is people are expecting him to be a Joey!

Archived